Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Considering retiring to New Mexico..

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Considering retiring to New Mexico..

Old 03-18-17, 05:09 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Moved out of NM 2 yrs ago, 51% my choice. If it were not for my wife I would never left (Florida sucks!). Was living in the Albuquerque area. I am a road biker and mountain runner. Albuquerque is a great city for riding with lots of paved bike only routes and system. I used to commute from the West Side to the South Valley with no issues. 10 months a year good riding. Occasional issues in the winter, and with low humidity summer riding is good. Love the people, culture, proximity to everything. If you want to get away Phoenix or Denver are close. If the opportunity arises I will be back in 16 hours!
Old 03-18-17, 06:07 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sch View Post
For someone who has lived east of the Mississippi river, it is hard to appreciate how dense the
road network is compared with states to the west. Equally hard to appreciate is the wind
difference, with winds in the east usually 5-15mph, in the west they are 10-20mph.
A gravel or ATB bike would expand the ride opportunities significantly.
For sure. My road bike in NM is a cyclocross bike with heavy duty (puncture resistant) urban cycling tires.