Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Long Distance Cyclists

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ Long Distance Cyclists

Old 03-09-17, 09:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
We're hoping to do a ride or two with the BC Randonneurs in June/July this year.
What are you thinking of riding?
Old 03-09-17, 10:05 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
I've done a number of metrics. I'd like to tackle a full century, but my butt seems to have a metric time limit.
Before trying to ride a century, I would think bike comfort is as important as pre ride nutrition and hydration. Maybe a little saddle shopping is in your future, good luck. It can be a never ending search
Old 03-09-17, 10:14 AM
Bandera 
~>~

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Happy B-day Machka!

My season has been capped by a fixed gear century ridden with an old teammate for the last few years.
Building the requisite FG technique, endurance, power and speed for that ride describes my seat time when not riding the town bike for errands.

-Bandera
Old 03-09-17, 10:16 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Happy Birthday, Machka!

While I've always had bikes and used them for both fun and daily transportation, it wasn't until I moved back to the US after spending most of my adult life in Italy that I started keeping track of my riding. That was in 2011 at age 49. Seeing the kind of shape a lot of men my age are in here in middle America was a real motivator. Anyhow, so far I have not gone beyond the occasional metric century, but hope to do at least one century this year.

Since a long-term plan is to do a coast to coast ride across the US and Canada when I retire, I think I ought to get to the point where I can ride multiple centuries in a season. I should probably also invest in a B17.
Old 03-09-17, 10:30 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
60-80 mile club rides on Saturdays, used to do 100 every Saturday but it's probably over a year since a century. No doubles, no 508, no 600k, a double metric is my limit.
A lot of the longer rides have involved climbing.Done a 12,000 foot day of 114 miles, centuries with 10K feet and some with 11k.
Never done a flat century, except when touring. I'll be 63 next month and I should celebrate with a long ride.
Hey Big John ... I didn't know you weren't part of the OCD FB group. I've added you, so you'll have even more rides to choose from.
Old 03-09-17, 10:34 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I rode my first century in 1994 and was actively into long distance cycling up till my early 40s. I've done four 1200K events and one 1000K, plus numerous "shorter" distances. Then I kind of had to take a bit of a break after developing DVT on a flight to Australia in 2009. Rowan and I still did some events with Audax Victoria, but not to the same level as we had before. In 2012, we spent about 8 months travelling the world, and while we did do some cycling we probably should have done more. I put on a bit of weight. Too much good food out there! Things were unsettled for the next couple years ... moving, job changes, etc..

Then in 2015, I lost the weight and started getting back into Audax events again. In 2016, Rowan and I completed a couple 200Ks, a 300K, and a 400K ... and about 400 km of a 600K (an unusual health issue kind of got in the way of that last one).

This year, we're trying it all again. We're in the midst of something Audax Australia has called a Petite Year Round Randonneur. We're attempting another Century-A-Month challenge. And we're participating in various other long distance events.

In February, I cycled my 100th century (100 mile ride). I've done an additional 75 longer rides, but that was my 100th 100. And just last weekend we got our first 200K randonnee in for the season. I've written about all of these in the Long Distance forum.

Some of you may recognise me from other forums here. But today I turn 50 ... so here I am!
Way cool. There are a pretty good number of 50+ers who are involved in endurance events. I think the average age across the board is 45+. There is something about it that appeals to us older folks, I think.

I do 80-100 miles climbing in the mountains on a typical weekend ride, and an occasional organized century. I'll also do 3-4 double centuries a year (I tend to prefer those that are not held in urban areas, and have to balance my schedule with other stuff), and I'll usually do a 500 mile endurance race (solo or with a teammate) every year as well.

Welcome to the old folks home. lol
Old 03-09-17, 10:49 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2462 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Aha, you said "metric centuries" so I can sneak in with long distance riders, barely by your requirements. My weekend solo rides are 45-65 miles, so I often ride a metric century when the weather is nice.

Although I consider it a long ride, not really "long distance cycling" because I don't really enjoy spending more than about 4 hours on the bike.
Old 03-09-17, 11:00 AM
big john

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Hey Big John ... I didn't know you weren't part of the OCD FB group. I've added you, so you'll have even more rides to choose from.
Thanks, Vic. Gotta try to get back into some kind of climbing shape, I really miss those mountain rides.
Old 03-09-17, 11:07 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Bikes: BMC SLR01 TeamMachine Disk Di2; OPEN new U.P. Di2; Specialized E5 Allez Sport "Ugly Bike"

Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've never done a rando. But I ride metrics, centuries and doubles -- mostly unsupported and without breaks. (Yes, I'm the geek with the Camelbak and multiple bottles on the bike.) I always make the monthly "Gran Fondo Challenge" on Strava.

I like speed, so I race or take on time challenges on pavement and gravel -- just to push myself. I've got a 4:30 century challenge (2,300 feet of climbing) and a 5:00 century challenge (6,300 feet of climbing) on the schedule this spring.
Old 03-09-17, 02:38 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I like long rides, especially those with a decent amount of climbing. I've only done three real centuries -- those were my longest single-day rides -- but I typically try to do at least one 50+ mile ride/week during the season here (April or so through November). Do those count?

More to the point: Happy Birthday @Machka, and welcome to this madhouse!
Old 03-09-17, 04:52 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer View Post
Before trying to ride a century, I would think bike comfort is as important as pre ride nutrition and hydration. Maybe a little saddle shopping is in your future, good luck. It can be a never ending search
Actually, it's not my saddle, my saddle is more than up to the task. My backside is more than capable of going over a metric (and has), but it (I) get restless after 4+ hrs in the saddle.
Old 03-09-17, 06:20 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do two 60 mile rides a week. Not exactly a metric but close enough. Last century was two years ago but I'm doing another one in this year's MS-150. No doubles or longer rides because 10,000+ miles a year is enough for me.
Old 03-09-17, 08:01 PM
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Are there any others of the 50+ crowd here who enjoy long distance cycling?

And by long distance cycling, I'm talking about metric centuries, centuries, double centuries, randonneuring/audax events and similar.
I see you are now crowned Queen of BikeForums.
Old 03-10-17, 04:30 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
When we met back in 2012, I figured you were in your 30s. You certainly wear it well! Happy Birthday!

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-10-17, 04:38 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got into the randonneuring last year. 360 k seems to be the limit until I can figure out a back issue. Getting my first professional bike fit next week and prioritizing comfort over bike weight. I'll see where that takes me.
Old 03-10-17, 09:00 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode my first century in '78 and have not kept track but several hundred centuries since then.

I do actually keep track of double centuries though. I had 14 before I moved to SoCal (from Missouri) and have added 76 since moving here in '95. My first double was '82 and I've ridden one triple, in '85.

Rando events, yes, back in the 90's since I rode P-B-P in '91. Only one since then!

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-10-17, 09:00 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
Actually, it's not my saddle, my saddle is more than up to the task. My backside is more than capable of going over a metric (and has), but it (I) get restless after 4+ hrs in the saddle.
Ah, I see... I guess that is why century rides are so challenging, many things to overcome. I have trouble staying focused and getting bored when doing a long ride but having company to talk to helps a lot.
Even driving a car for 4 hours can be exhausting, probably more mentally than physically.
Old 03-10-17, 03:37 PM
Eric S. 

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm just a few months over 50 now but have enjoyed at least one Century per year for awhile. There used to be a pretty tight group based on a local cycling website that would do some challenging rides but I haven't seen many of them in years (though still FB friends).
Old 03-11-17, 06:11 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Got out a bit before 9PM last night and finished 4:25AM with 120 miles. Getting ready to head out to the LBS for the Saturday AM ride. A bit tired but hope to add another 40 or 50.

Part 2....winds picked up, decided to pack it in with an additional 45 miles completed.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 03-11-17 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 03:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
60-80 mile club rides on Saturdays, used to do 100 every Saturday but it's probably over a year since a century. No doubles, no 508, no 600k, a double metric is my limit.
A lot of the longer rides have involved climbing.Done a 12,000 foot day of 114 miles, centuries with 10K feet and some with 11k.
Never done a flat century, except when touring. I'll be 63 next month and I should celebrate with a long ride.
Yes, you should!

Happy 50th! What bike are you using for long rides these days? I remember your favorite bike was stolen some time ago. Was that bike ever recovered?
Thanks!

My favourite bicycle was stolen ... but 3 years later was recovered!!!

See Post 36 and onward ...
http://www.bikeforums.net/long-dista...-stolen-2.html

Originally Posted by dunelt_1954 View Post
Happy birthday, Machka;

I lurk a lot and post little. Your anecdotes have been great, educational and fun. I wish you and Rowan many more good, long rides. I did not ride much until my 40s, and only have one true century in my log. Still not that strong.

Best wishes!
Thanks! I hope there are many more rides too.

Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
When we met back in 2012, I figured you were in your 30s. You certainly wear it well! Happy Birthday!
Thank you very much!!

Last edited by Machka; 03-13-17 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 03:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Hey, I haven't seen you post here in ages!

And a public HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Machka.

She celebrated her very first Queen of the Mountain achievement Strava by finding a gold crown on her computer this morning.
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
I see you are now crowned Queen of BikeForums.

Yes, well ... we figured that the female forumite who has been here the longest should finally ascend to the throne.

OK, actually ... it was what Rowan said. We rode a 213 km randonnee last weekend (9 days ago), and during that ride, I somehow managed to take Queen of the Mountain on Strava for a hilly 58.8 km segment. Surprised the socks off of me!!

So jokingly, I told Rowan that I should have a real crown for that endeavour and not just the little yellow crown on the Strava page.

Next thing I knew ...
Old 03-13-17, 03:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We're hoping to do a ride or two with the BC Randonneurs in June/July this year.
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
What are you thinking of riding?

Our Bike Fridays ... believe it or not!!

We took them out on a test ride on Saturday -- a 100 km permanent in northern Tasmania.

Something has changed with the fit of mine. Not sure what it is and it could easily be me. It's been almost a year since we've ridden them, and almost 2 years since we've ridden them any distance.

However, that's why we wanted to do a ride this weekend ... to see how things would go and to determine if anything needs to be fixed/adjusted.

I think I'm going to have to get Rowan to change the bars and the saddle height and placement may need to change as well. I'm feeling way too upright.
Old 03-13-17, 04:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

And thank you all for the birthday greetings!

We had an excellent birthday weekend. Here in Australia, there's a long weekend on about my birthday.

So we headed up north on Friday after work, and spent Saturday cycling (as mentioned above) ... then we went to a theatre performance of Wicked which was really good. Well worth it!

On Sunday, we did a 76 km ride that was hillier than expected, then went out to dinner to one of my favourite restaurants ... then went to the Speedway where we were treated to a great deal of excitement. Especially within the first few minutes of being there, as a car hurtled in our direction!

And today we capped it off with an egg breakfast that just hit the spot, a 41 km ride, and delicious pancakes with berries and ice cream and cream.

Last edited by Machka; 03-13-17 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-19-17, 07:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Yes, well ... we figured that the female forumite who has been here the longest should finally ascend to the throne.

OK, actually ... it was what Rowan said. We rode a 213 km randonnee last weekend (9 days ago), and during that ride, I somehow managed to take Queen of the Mountain on Strava for a hilly 58.8 km segment. Surprised the socks off of me!!

So jokingly, I told Rowan that I should have a real crown for that endeavour and not just the little yellow crown on the Strava page.

Next thing I knew ...

Upgrade to a tiara, you can find some great costume jewelry somewhere cheap.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 03-19-17, 09:28 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Happy Birthday!

Will you be getting a tee shirt?

My first DC was in 1974, & a number recently, so a 40 yr. spread.

(It was on a Brooks, so used to be serious)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.