Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

don't try to fix what ain't broked

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-15-17, 01:59 PM
jdw777

Bikes: 2000 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm having such fun on my bike and it totally feels dialed in.

Yet, I have RP5 road shoes (I currently ride in mtb shoes with dual sided xt clipless) and new pedals (PD-A600) on the way in the mail.

I feel like maybe acting older and wiser (my age) and putting them on a shelf until I really feel the need to change them out, versus fixing what ain't broke.

Anyone else go through this? I thought it was most appropriate to post in the only as old as you feel, and wiser sub-forum

Peace o/
Old 03-15-17, 02:12 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I'm always fixing what ain't broke. One of my bikes has had a different crankset installed more than once in 6 months. And don't ask about tires.

It's a hobby, don't let it become an economic disease.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-16-17 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-15-17, 02:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The time to make this decision was BEFORE you bought new shoes and pedals. Now that the financial harm has been done, you might as well give them a fair test then decide whether to stay with them or go back.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-15-17, 02:38 PM
jdw777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I guess I left out what my fear is. It's not the return of goods or them sitting the shelf.

It's the making the change then not being happy. (Or having pain say from not the same amount of pedal float)

Peace o/
Old 03-15-17, 02:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdw777 View Post
Well I guess I left out what my fear is. It's not the return of goods or them sitting the shelf.

It's the making the change then not being happy. (Or having pain say from not the same amount of pedal float)

Peace o/
I understand, and generally think along similar lines. But, the only risk here is financial because you can change back at any time.

OTOH- I might be more cautious about something involving more work or commitment than swapping pedals. As a general rule I don't replace anything that's still working, and in your shoes, probably wouldn't have ordered the pedals or shoes. By example, I put together the "new" bike in 2001, and the only thing replaced were the 2 rims destroyed in a crash.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-15-17, 02:44 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess what you're saying is "what I don't know won't hurt me." But you know what you will do. You will test out the new toy simply out of curiousity. You will not like them initially. You will go back to your old stuff. Then you will wonder if you really gave them a fair test and try them again. Eventually you'll decide on the new stuff.
Old 03-15-17, 02:52 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So keeping the old shoes and pedals and replacing them back is not an option?
I'd like to try mtn shoes, Im tired of trying to walk on Look cleats.
Old 03-16-17, 10:49 AM
Madtown Bob
FOG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're having so much fun on your bike and it's totally dialed in--I wouldn't change a thing.
However, you may want to consider buying another bike for your new shoes and pedals.
Old 03-16-17, 11:09 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium DA, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You bought them for a reason. You might as well try them out and see how they work. I mean, you're not going to go out and ride a century as a test. I don't see any harm, and you might even like them more than your current setup. It would be a shame to find that out a year or so from now... (palm to the forehead) what was I thinking.

John
Old 03-16-17, 11:31 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
It might never be "broke" and if you wait for that you'll never know. Since you do plan on doing it at some undefined time in the future (or you wouldn't have bought the pedals, right?) why not do it now? Don't let "later" become "never".
Old 03-16-17, 12:34 PM
jdw777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all good points, thanks folks!

Peace o/
Old 03-17-17, 06:04 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As a life long service tech (47 years) I can tell you from all those years of experience, fixing what aint broke is not a good deal. Just fix to the best of your ability what is broke.
Old 03-17-17, 06:53 AM
BKE

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're on a Shimano SPD pedal now and will still be on a Shimano SPD pedal although (let's call it) a different platform. I have the exact two sets as you, but each set has it's own bike. I'm not sure there will be any difference in pedal float, in fact I'm not sure if I even have float such as in a speedplay pedal??
Old 03-17-17, 02:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
When you get that urge to fiddle with a bike that's already dialed in, that's a sign that it's time for "n+1."
Old 03-19-17, 11:38 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
I am having a hard time pulling off these old tubulars. They look ready for the dumpster, but refuse to flat or lose much air overnight ??!! Pull em off or not? Replacements are ready.

Upgrading brakes is another ongoing vintage question, too. Nah, some rides are for the newer bikes, but not all.

With enough bikes, just fiddling with them to keep them on the road safely and with a few 'experiments' for FUN = a full time hobby, almost.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello SuperRecord/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-19-17 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-01-17, 12:00 PM
jdw777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I didn't it. Well halfway. (checking the date on my original post) lol.

Haven't changed the pedals yet, but riding with the shoes (RP5's + spd XT). Oh my, mtb ----> road shoes, what a difference.
- slippery as hell dismounting and tough to pedal not clipped in when I miss coming off a start - practice makes perfect
--- but, wow, foot to pedal directness is awesome

I was worried about float but it seems there's actually more float with no surrounding tread = less sore knees (my knees get sore just from working them vs bad knee pain) because, I think they have found a natural position ('98 acl recon and 30yrs of martial arts will do it)

Happy so far I haven't broked what was working fine.

Pedals next, still having fun!

Peace o/
Old 04-01-17, 12:26 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
About a year ago I caught a 20% off sale at Excel Sports and bought a new pair of Sidi's. My old shoes were starting to develop some rips, and one had a flakey buckle, but they were still usable, so I decided to get every last bit of use out of them before pitching them.

A couple weeks ago I'm on one of the busiest streets in Boulder, (5 lanes + bike lanes), and get caught by a red light. So I swing out my right heel to unclip. But instead of unclipping, the flakey buckle released, suddenly making the shoe so loose that the pedal didn't release. So I fell over out of the bike lane onto the sidewalk, in front of 4 lanes of stopped motorists and a couple of pedestrians crossing the street.

I trashed the old shoes as soon as I got home.
Old 04-01-17, 12:33 PM
jdw777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
So I fell over out of the bike lane onto the sidewalk, in front of 4 lanes of stopped motorists and a couple of pedestrians crossing the street.
Gnarly. No chance you could have completely pulled your foot out of the shoe and touched down in your socks? That's definitely the hard way to fix what you thought wasn't broke. lol.

Last edited by jdw777; 04-01-17 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-01-17, 12:36 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jdw777 View Post
Gnarly. No chance you could have completely pulled your foot out of the shoe and touched down in your socks? lol.
Yes, if I hadn't waited until the last possible moment to unclip, I could have done that, or even just unclipped the opposite foot.