Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Suggestions for places to cycle and live! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1101505-suggestions-places-cycle-live.html)

bruised 03-16-17 08:46 PM

Suggestions for places to cycle and live!

Hi all,

It's been a tumultuous 12 months. Hit 54 years of age. Getting divorced after 18 yrs. Met an amazing new gal. We've decided we want to split from the long harsh Northern WI winters.

We want to move somewhere with a more temperate climate, where she can paddle board and I can rekindle my love of cycling.

We don't want to trade 5 months of cold for 3 months of sweltering heat and humidity. ( a month might be doable).

We want somewhere with trails - good, long trails, be they dirt tracks, fire roads, rails-to-trails or whatever. But I need that to be close by, I don't want to have to drive an hour to ride. Mountain bike trails also desirable.

Thinking maybe NC is too hot and humid, as is much of the south east and south coast. California may be too expensive, unless there's a hidden gem somewhere that's affordable?

Not really into the dry, arid desert states so much largely due to the lack of places to paddleboard.

Do NOT want big city living, work from home so no need to commute.

Artsy Fartsy community would be nice - foodie too...

Does such a place exist? Ideas Please :)

Thanks

Bruised

TimothyH 03-16-17 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by bruised (Post 19447231)
Getting divorced after 18 yrs. Met an amazing new gal.

Too soon. Let the ink dry first.

Asheville NC comes to mind. Very artsy. Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains, Pisgah National Forest, Blue Ridge Parkway, mountain and gravel riding galore...

Maybe Boone NC or anyplace in western NC for that matter.

Good luck.

-Tim-

InTheRain 03-16-17 11:07 PM

If you can handle rain, then the pacific northwest. Artsy and Foodie might be difficult if you want to stay out of a city like Portland or Seattle. But, you can live in some fairly rural or suburban areas just an hour outside of one of the big cities. Lots of close places for paddling... Lakes and Puget Sound. Plenty of mountains, forest, and even the ocean. The desert is on the other side of the mountains... and hour over a mountain pass. Don't have to worry about heat and humidity.

Machka 03-16-17 11:52 PM

Hi all,

It's been a tumultuous 12 months. Hit 54 years of age. Getting divorced after 18 yrs. Met an amazing new gal. We've decided we want to split from the long harsh Northern WI winters.

We want to move somewhere with a more temperate climate, where she can paddle board and I can rekindle my love of cycling.

We don't want to trade 5 months of cold for 3 months of sweltering heat and humidity. ( a month might be doable).

We want somewhere with trails - good, long trails, be they dirt tracks, fire roads, rails-to-trails or whatever. But I need that to be close by, I don't want to have to drive an hour to ride. Mountain bike trails also desirable.

Thinking maybe NC is too hot and humid, as is much of the south east and south coast. California may be too expensive, unless there's a hidden gem somewhere that's affordable?

Not really into the dry, arid desert states so much largely due to the lack of places to paddleboard.

Thanks

Bruised

Victoria, Australia
British Columbia, Canada

70sSanO 03-16-17 11:56 PM

Depending on your budget, the Central California coast may fit your bill. Cambria is a nice, somewhat touristy town, or go south to Cayucos. Ride Hwy 1 or go over 46 around the vineyards. Water is a little cold in the winter, but nice area to live. No snow and definitely no sweltering heat.

John

Edit added: Just saw your California budget statement. May be over it, but there might be some smaller places around there that might work.

B. Carfree 03-16-17 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by InTheRain (Post 19447518)
If you can handle rain, then the pacific northwest. Artsy and Foodie might be difficult if you want to stay out of a city like Portland or Seattle. But, you can live in some fairly rural or suburban areas just an hour outside of one of the big cities. Lots of close places for paddling... Lakes and Puget Sound. Plenty of mountains, forest, and even the ocean. The desert is on the other side of the mountains... and hour over a mountain pass. Don't have to worry about heat and humidity.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Our smaller cities are usually convenient to lots of gravel-grinding logging roads and we have no shortage of water. Some years it seems like the rain just won't stop, but one can learn to enjoy riding in the rain (honest).

The better foodie locations will be more expensive to buy into, but lots cheaper than California.

FBinNY 03-17-17 12:12 AM

You didn't mention whether you'll need to work, or plan to live on savings. That's important, because regional cost of living and salaries are usually linked pretty closely.

Other than that, you've pretty much eliminated most of the country as too hot in summer or cold in winter, though anything south of Springfield IL, is going to be a big improvement on northern WI as far as winter goes.

So, I guess, central California, off the ocean, but close enough, but away from major cities where the costs are higher. Or the foothills of the Blue Ridge in either North Carolina or Virginia.

If you don't need to work and are living on savings, then you might consider southern Mexico, where your dollars go a long way. The hill country near Chiapas is a great cycling area, and the altitude keeps it cool. These days it's becoming a bit of a mecca for US and Canadian ex Pats. Then there South America, including Columbia which is really up and coming and has spectacular bicycling.

These days, I'd probably head to Spain, Portugal, or the south of France.

bruised 03-17-17 07:42 AM

Thanks for suggestions so far.

On the work front, as it stands my job (self-employed) allows me to work from anywhere with an Internet connection.

After a month of research I've hit a bit of an impasse. Yes, Cal. would be my first choice, but housing is out of my price range unless I settle for a 600 sq ft apartment over someone's garage :)

I was leaning towards NC, there's a few smaller towns, one of which is Brevard NC, but the heat/humidity is a concern. Of course I would need to take a road trip to check out these places but there's no point in doing that in their 'cool' season.

I'm a Brit from a little place outside of Manchester UK, so rain is a big turn off for me.

I have a friend who moved just outside of Santa Fe NM and absolutely loves it - but no water!

Yikes.

rando_couche 03-17-17 09:21 AM

Anywhere but Oregon. Really. It's AWFUL here. Rains all the time. Can't wait to leave. ;-)

SP
OC, OR

FBinNY 03-17-17 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bruised (Post 19447892)

Yikes.

Welcome to the real world. EVERY place has reasons to live there and reasons not to. If any place met all your criteria it would get so crowded that nobody would want to live there (thank you Mr. Berra).

So, just as you ruled CA out because of the cost of housing, eliminate every place with a deal breaker objection, then look at what's left with an eye to finding a balance of reasons to live there with reasons not to, and accept that no place is perfect.

indyfabz 03-17-17 11:16 AM

Moab, UT. Sisters, OR. Ashland, OR.

linberl 03-17-17 11:23 AM

The Bay Area in Northern California is ideal weather-wise, trail-wise, etc. If you don't need to be close in to the major urban areas and can scale down your housing expectations (with everything there is to do here you won't be home a lot, anyway) there are some places which are sort of affordable. Not clear what your budget is, but if you go about an hour away from SF in the East Bay (out towards Livermore) or up North closer to places like Windsor or Willits, you might be okay. I was fortunate to secure my Bay Area home more than 30 years ago; could not afford it now. I took a 3 month USA road trip when I first retired to see if I could find someplace I wanted to move, but didn't find anything that offered me what I have here. Incredible access to nature, arts, entertainment, food, etc. A small housing situation doesn't matter that much if you aren't inside ;-)

practical 03-17-17 11:28 AM

How about Columbus, Ohio (or nearby). My brother lives there (I live in Vermont) and it's a very moderate climate, lots of bike trails, a large city that doesn't feel big with plenty of "hipster" in it. It's on my consideration list for when I retire.

Gerryattrick 03-17-17 12:52 PM

If your work is via the Internet do you have to stay in the US?

Majorca would fit the weather, paddling and especially the cycling.

You're also not far from good football matches.;)

berner 03-17-17 12:58 PM

George Hincappie, on retirement from pro cycling, moved to Greenville, S. Carolina. That would be the edge of the Appalachians. He claimed excellent cycling and a fine cycling community. He runs a grand fondo in the area.

bruised 03-17-17 01:12 PM

More great suggestions, thanks.

I worked in Livermore for a few weeks 25 years ago and enjoyed the area a lot. It seems to have really expanded - cost of living too.
Moab UT is on my bucket list for places to cycle, but not so sure about living....I'll research that more.
I like the Columbus OH, suggestion - I'll check that out.

Not sure that I want to leave the USA. 20+ years settled and I love it here. Just time to get out of Wisconsin and start something new. As am typing this we have an ugly wintery mix of ice/sleet with 5" in the forecast for later. It's inspiring, in its own way.

rumrunn6 03-17-17 01:41 PM

let us know where you land, we're all moving right next door! :D

Ogsarg 03-17-17 02:00 PM

Might look at Sacramento, CA. Of course its hotter there than the bay area but not ridiculous and way less expensive than anywhere in the bay area. Being the state capital, there is more stuff there than you would normally find in a city that size and its pretty bike friendly. The older parts of town are nice due to the abundance of old trees that provide shade and keep things cool in the summer.

Redding or Chico also worth a look.

Jim from Boston 03-17-17 02:25 PM

Hi all,

It's been a tumultuous 12 months…We've decided we want to split from the long harsh Northern WI winters.

We want to move somewhere with a more temperate climate, where she can paddleboard and I can rekindle my love of cycling

We don't want to trade 5 months of cold for 3 months of sweltering heat and humidity. (a month might be doable).

We want somewhere with trails - good, long trails, be they dirt tracks, fireroads, rails-to-trails or whatever. But I need that to be close by, I don't want to have to drive an hour to ride. Mountain bike trails also desirable.

Thinking maybe NC is too hot and humid, as is much of the south east and southcoast. California may be too expensive, unless there's a hidden gem somewherethat's affordable?

Thanks

Bruised

Originally Posted by bruised (Post 19448840)
More great suggestions, thanks.

I worked in Livermore for a few weeks 25 years ago and enjoyed the area a lot. It seems to have really expanded - cost of living too.
Moab UT is on my bucket list for places to cycle, but not so sure about living....I'll research that more.
I like the Columbus OH, suggestion - I'll check that out.

Not sure that I want to leave the USA. 20+ years settled and I love it here. Just time to get out of Wisconsin and start something new. As am typing this we have an ugly wintery mix of ice/sleet with 5" in the forecast for later. It's inspiring, in its own way.

Hi Bruised,

It’s nice to see you posting. I recall your previous regular enthusiastic posts from about 1 to 2 years ago, and we exchanged some chats on the Forums. As a midwestern native myself, I can enthusiastically recommend Metro Boston as a great place to live, cycle and start something new.

For example I recently posted this on the Touring Forum in response to a query of where to visit on a short term tour.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19385882)
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston… It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture [Artsy Fartsy; seafood, ethnic, and fine dining], nightlife, sports and so forth.

I know you would like to avoid the urban experience, and further out into New England could satisfy that condition….If you’ve never been here before,the experience may be even more…epic.

If you were to consider Columbus, OH. I don’t think the winters here are much different. While Boston is urban, it’s not sprawling, and is considered America’s Walkable City.

I will admit though that I’m a Road Cyclist and have not explored off-road riding, but I’m aware such a community exists here. Anyways as Rod Serling said on the Twilight Zone, "offered for your consideration." :innocent:

BTW, you mentioned she “paddleboards.” If you mean human-powered water transportation, Boston is a center for rowing with the well-known Head of the Charles (River) Regatta in October, the largest two-day regatta in the world. Kayaking also is very popular along the Atlantic coastline.

PS: I just looked up paddleboarding. See this site (in Boston): Stand-Up Paddleboarding :: Charles River Canoe & Kayak

JohnDThompson 03-17-17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19447543)
Victoria, Australia
British Columbia, Canada

Pacific Northwest has always tempted me, despite the rain. I was born and spent my early childhood in Shelton, Washington, so maybe that has something to do with it. And the Canadian side of the PNW has got its own appeal, particularly of late.

Australia is pretty far away, but I do have relatives in New Zealand, so that's a possibility…

John_V 03-17-17 02:52 PM

You can get acclimated to any climate type, so I don't really think that should be a major consideration. I know of several people that have moved to Florida, from up north, and had a heck of a time with the humidity in the summer months. After their first summer, they were just as acclimated as those of us who have lived here all our lives.

On the other hand, the most near perfect place I've been to, weather wise, was Guam. 72* year round but I don't think cycling is going to be too enjoyable on a 7x35 mile island. Take away the Air Force base and the Naval Air Station on each end of the island, and the cycling area gets a lot smaller.

70sSanO 03-17-17 03:20 PM

Another possibility is Prescott AZ. Cooler than the valley during the Summer and fairly mild Winters. Probably better place for mountain biking. It is getting a little more crowded. We had considered moving there at one time, since 2 if our 3 kids now live in AZ.

John

Barrettscv 03-17-17 03:49 PM

Barcelona

doctor j 03-17-17 05:05 PM

Northwest Arkansas. Active cycling community, large university, Beaver Lake for paddle boarding.

Not too big, not too small.

jon c. 03-17-17 06:10 PM

Your options open up if you learn to love humidity :)