Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Lock

Old 03-21-17, 09:12 PM
Tbone2

Bikes: Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Lock

So I got this Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 cause well you gotta lock up at the grocery store right? Not trying to start a lock thread I'm just saying it's what I got.

The lock is pretty beefy as is the cable and I have discovered it is actually a multi use tool. Yes the lock is easy for me to get to and the U shape makes a good handle for swinging it around, this thing can double as a weapon or dog tranquilizer. I can think of numerous ways to use the cable but the lock has real potential. Hope I never have to actually use it on someones dog but if that dog really wants a piece of my ass it ain't gonna be cheap. Just saying.

Since I haven't been bitten by a dog before nor have I been in a fight since I was a teenager I don't really anticipate having to back up my bravado.

Now I am gonna start something, have any of you actually been backed in a corner while biking, be it human or animal. What did you do?
Old 03-21-17, 09:20 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dog: broke my shoulder.....
Old 03-21-17, 09:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you'd probably draw more people interested in the dog part of your post if the title were about fighting off dogs, or something like "have you ever been cornered by a dog?".

If you want to go back and change it, you can do so in the "advanced" part of the editing mode.

However, I don't believe the index title ever changes, so maybe you're best by starting fresh with a thread title that's about what you want to discuss.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-21-17, 11:32 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbone2 View Post
So I got this Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 cause well you gotta lock up at the grocery store right? Not trying to start a lock thread I'm just saying it's what I got.

The lock is pretty beefy as is the cable and I have discovered it is actually a multi use tool. Yes the lock is easy for me to get to and the U shape makes a good handle for swinging it around, this thing can double as a weapon or dog tranquilizer. I can think of numerous ways to use the cable but the lock has real potential. Hope I never have to actually use it on someones dog but if that dog really wants a piece of my ass it ain't gonna be cheap. Just saying.

Since I haven't been bitten by a dog before nor have I been in a fight since I was a teenager I don't really anticipate having to back up my bravado.

Now I am gonna start something, have any of you actually been backed in a corner while biking, be it human or animal. What did you do?
I've forgotten where, but I've read that the best way to handle an attacking dog if you're off your bike is to pick it up and put it between you and the dog ... in other words, use it as a shield. That's supposed to be the best way to handle attacks by a human too.
Old 03-22-17, 12:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbone2 View Post
So I got this Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 cause well you gotta lock up at the grocery store right?
Aren't those the lightweight locks?

I'm seeing them listed at 2.85 lbs on the Kryptonite page.

The Kryptonite NY lock is 4.35 lbs. Almost twice the bang to punch.

I haven't been using a chain, but you might as well add a Kryptonite New York Legend Chain 1515 for an additional 15.95 lbs
Old 03-22-17, 07:44 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've got pretty strict leash laws so I've not had a dog problem for about a decade. I'm also not a proponent of beating animals senseless. For dogs that were a problem I carried a small bit of pepper spray.
Old 03-22-17, 07:57 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Oh dear! OP didn't want to start a lock thread so now we have a dog thread.
Old 03-22-17, 08:16 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been chased by a few, was able to outrun the all. Except one. I was heading down hill, towards a red light with cross traffic. So I had to slow down while being chased, with a barking dog at my heels. A well aimed kick in the snout gave him the message to back off.
Old 03-22-17, 03:47 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just remember the great truism of bike locks. They only keep the honest people honest. A criminal can defeat almost any lock in short order with the right tool.
Old 03-22-17, 03:59 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I'd use my bike to defend against a dog. But I have a steel bike - carbon bike might explode if a dog bit it.
Old 03-22-17, 04:16 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Just remember the great truism of bike locks. They only keep the honest people honest. A criminal can defeat almost any lock in short order with the right tool.
True, but they thwart the ill equipped criminal and slow down the one with the tools. Those few extra minutes may be all you need. That's reason enough for me.
Old 03-22-17, 04:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium DA, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for locks... They make every bike a 50lb bike. A 15lb bike needs 35lbs of locks. A 35lb bike only needs 15lbs of locks. Either way you are at 50lbs...
lol.

John
Old 03-22-17, 04:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
We've got pretty strict leash laws so I've not had a dog problem for about a decade. I'm also not a proponent of beating animals senseless. For dogs that were a problem I carried a small bit of pepper spray.
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
I've been chased by a few, was able to outrun the all. Except one. I was heading down hill, towards a red light with cross traffic. So I had to slow down while being chased, with a barking dog at my heels. A well aimed kick in the snout gave him the message to back off.
Here, most dogs are pretty well contained. Occasionally one will chase me, but generally not a big deal.

I've never pepper sprayed a dog. The closest I've been to being bit was a dog where the owner was there saying it was a good dog, and I didn't yell.. thing hit my handlebars before I dropped it going down a hill.

Then there was the silent killer when I passed a campground after dark. I just heard the pitter patter of feet behind me. A yell, and I was down over the hill.

I have one dog that will chase me right at my turn-around. No place to go. But it generally responds to a "GO HOME", and then will just watch me, or lose interest. I've seen it several times. It is lose about 1/4 of the time. But never a big deal.

So, no violence against "Man's Best Friend" here.
Old 03-22-17, 06:09 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've out-sprinted all the dogs that chased me, but some were pretty close.

I have more problems with loose dogs when I'm walking my own dog on leash around the neighborhood. Why do some people think it's cool to pretend their dog is voice-controlled when they clearly aren't?
Old 03-22-17, 06:31 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like the Hiplok.

I do not try to outrun dog ambushes anymore. This is what happens when you (and you will) lose:

Unless you are maybe this guy:

Now I carry a pepper spray and I dismount and place the bicycle between me and the agressor. This four footed aggressor has already taken one hit to the face, notice he is not especially phased:

Fortunately it's owner decided to call him off because it was about to get really ugly. After I called the sheriff and the owner told the sheriff the dog was not in the street. The sheriff saw the photo and issued a warning. People lie, who would think.

If all good dogs go to heaven, then one must consider that there are also bad dogs who do not.
J

Last edited by Loose Chain; 03-22-17 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 06:42 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
OK, time for my dog story:

I was riding in southern Michigan with a neighbor. As we passed a homestead, a medium sized dog can charging full speed down a hill toward us. My neighbor looked at the dog and shouted "Sit!" That dog certainly knew what that meant. He locked up all four paws which caused him to do a couple of somersaults before coming to a stop in a perfect "sit" position.
Old 03-26-17, 03:11 PM
moth54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch View Post
Dog: broke my shoulder.....
How long did it take you to recover from broken shoulder? (sympathies extended to a fellow shoulder breaker)
Old 03-26-17, 03:46 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
No unpleasant dog encounters for a long time. Never bitten or crashed because of one. But did run over a small dog in Bloomington IN in the '70s. He ran out in front of me and the front wheel of the old Hercules 3-speed I was riding went right over him. I stayed upright and he seems unhurt.
Old 03-28-17, 07:38 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moth54 View Post
How long did it take you to recover from broken shoulder? (sympathies extended to a fellow shoulder breaker)
It's still quite bothersome 3.5 years later. But I exercise a lot and try to ignore it. I sometimes think that the mesh plate installed is the problem but it is more likely the nerve damage. Hope you had a better outcome.
Old 03-28-17, 07:45 AM
Mountain Mitch

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post
I like the Hiplok.

I do not try to outrun dog ambushes anymore. This is what happens when you (and you will) lose:

J
Not the only outcome. I got the shoulder version:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (22.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-28-17, 12:22 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Klean Kanteen 18oz single-wall stainless steel bottles (I like the Reflect versions) fit perfectly in standard water bottle cages and have a nice long thinnish neck with knob end - kinda like a baseball bat handle.

I'm a motorcyclist and have had my share of surpise attack dog chasers - super dangerous just on the startle factor, and two wheelers are very easy to take down with a lateral impact to the front wheel or handlebars. I've been hit by a large dog and 3 deer over the years - went down twice on lateral impacts to the front wheel, stayed upright twice on lateral hits to the rear quarter.

Can't tolerate dogs that hide and chase at the last minute - that drives me insane. I'll U-Turn and chase them back... one time, that included riding my motorcycle onto the owner's lawn, and full loop around their backyard honking, whooping, and hollering like a lunatic chasing that mutt. Never saw that dog loose again - owner must witnessed the spectacle from inside and locked him up thereafter. Not sure I'd try that stunt on Pitbull/Dobbie/G Shepard type though.
Old 03-28-17, 12:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans View Post
Can't tolerate dogs that hide and chase at the last minute - that drives me insane. I'll U-Turn and chase them back... one time, that included riding my motorcycle onto the owner's lawn, and full loop around their backyard honking, whooping, and hollering like a lunatic chasing that mutt. Never saw that dog loose again - owner must witnessed the spectacle from inside and locked him up thereafter. Not sure I'd try that stunt on Pitbull/Dobbie/G Shepard type though.
lol ... I've done that!

I had a dog chase me out into a cross street about a year ago. Pissed me off so bad, I did a U-turn and rode directly AT the dog, growling and yelling.

The dog stopped in his tracks, got a "Ruh roh" look on his face, and retreated back to his front door where his owner was waiting. Cripes, was I pissed.

The owner apologized. I ride by there almost daily, and this was the one and only time I've seen that dog out.
Old 03-28-17, 12:39 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post
If all good dogs go to heaven, then one must consider that there are also bad dogs who do not.
J
Bad dogs go to eternal dalmation
Old 03-28-17, 01:29 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
lol ... I've done that!

I had a dog chase me out into a cross street about a year ago. Pissed me off so bad, I did a U-turn and rode directly AT the dog, growling and yelling.

The dog stopped in his tracks, got a "Ruh roh" look on his face, and retreated back to his front door where his owner was waiting. Cripes, was I pissed.

The owner apologized. I ride by there almost daily, and this was the one and only time I've seen that dog out.
Yeah, I'm starting to believe this a good thing to do (excluding the trespassing part) to 'train' dogs, particularly on regular routes that you might frequent - over the long run, it's safer for you, others, and the dog. My neighbor's bull dog used to give chase until I chased back a couple of times, owner saw what was I doing and encouraged me (we're friends). There's also a ~120 lbs-ish Rottweiler down the street behind an invisible fence that always hugs his fence line barking as aggressively as can be at anyone walking/riding along the street. I started stopping, staring and growling back at him until quiet, then continued walking again - if he resumed, I did too in kind. Still inconclusive (need more testing), but I haven't seen him out either for while now. Thank God for invisible fences .
Old 03-28-17, 01:43 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Person. He got out of his car to spit on me then sucker punched me. I was about to retaliate when his teenage daughter stepped between us trying to push her dad away and pleading that he 'not do this again'. When the cop arrived we each gave our statements and the cop threatened to arrest me despite my having a passerby/witness to corroborate my story of how this guy stopped his vehicle in the middle of the street in front of me and assaulted me for no apparent reason. His claim was that I spat on his car as he buzzed me.

Since then I've been riding with a video cam on the helmet and a couple of large cans of mace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.