Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Charity Ride

Old 03-26-17, 09:29 AM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
First Charity Ride

Yesterday I completed my first charity ride of 57 miles in four and one half hours. It was the 15th annual Salado Smokin Spokes ride which is for the volunteer FD in Salado, TX. Turnout was outstanding with I'm sure over 300 riders. Distances ranged from 15 to 102 miles. Up to this point, my furthest ride was 52 miles. The routes were well marked and the support (traffic control, rest stops, etc.) were top notch. Bikes ran the gamut from entry level (my speed) to high dollar full race, recumbent, tandem and even a trike with basket and all. The route was 95% rural with a couple of very challenging climbs. The first I made a short distance up and had to walk the rest due to being short on gears (9 cog cassette) and admittedly short on leg as well. The second, a bit less steep but one and one half miles long I conquered, even passing a couple of riders much younger than me which did wonders for my already over inflated ego. A spaghetti lunch was provided after the ride. If you have not had the opportunity to ride this one, I highly recommend it. It may have been my first, but I know a good time when I see it.

P.S. Major kudos to the folks at Sun Country Bicycle in Temple, TX. The evening before the ride while cleaning up my bike, I discovered the hanger was lose and the holes had stripped out. Less than an hour later, I had a new hanger and was ready to roll. Much, much appreciated!!
Old 03-26-17, 09:52 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Congratulations on your distance. Sounds like a return visit for longer distance next year.
Old 03-26-17, 12:16 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 69 PX-10, 81 Medici, 84 Turbo, 87 IM, 2010 Milwaukee Road, 2011 RS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Close one with the hanger! Long organized rides are a kick. Sounds like you're hooked and probably planning a century.
Old 03-26-17, 01:06 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
I can see you now - looking through the cycling and LBS websites looking for more charity rides. I love doing charity rides and have my list of annual charity rides. Currently, there's eight that I do but I'll do more if they are there to do.
Old 03-26-17, 03:22 PM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
Close one with the hanger! Long organized rides are a kick. Sounds like you're hooked and probably planning a century.
When I reached the 52 mile point, I met a few riders who were riding the 102 mile route. I quickly realized that I was not ready (yet) for a century ride.