Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hello from Malaysia

Old 03-27-17, 11:01 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Malaysia

Hi there, I’m new here so thought I’d say hello before I start picking your brains about stuff… I’ve recently started peddling again after an off and on relationship with bicycles going back to schools days in the UK, paper rounds etc., then later as a way of keeping (slightly) fit and seeing the country-sides; of China, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Malaysia where I found myself living over the years.

Right now I’m peddling for fun and to lose some of those midlife KG’s. I live in a hilly area which is unfortunate as I don’t like hills on a bicycle, but it does work on the fitness level. So far I am riding the same route every Sunday, 14.8km one way up hill, then down again to the starting point. Two months ago my first time for the up-hill part was 2 hours 25 minutes…. now I’m down to 1 hour 45 minutes, going down has gone from 37 minutes to 32 minutes…. I’m not planning on winning races.. ;o) and still having to push on a few steep parts of the up-hill.

My bike is 2008 Giant TCR Alluxx SL, I bought it a few years ago, but hardly used it till the recent drive.. lets see how long we can keep it up. I currently ride alone, I would not want to subject anybody to my lack of pace yet. As it is a common route I am passed a hundred times every ride… but now start to notice a few others out there that are as slow as me… it’s improving slowly. I seriously need 3 lower gears…. My current 14 allow me to get unto the lowest and the second from lowest on the up hill… on the down hill I hardly need to peddle the whole way down…
Conditions here in Malaysia are not the best for cycling, daytime temps are 35 degrees C in the shade all year round. So early morning starts when the temp. is about 25 degrees C are preferable..

But the roads are good and the countryside is beautiful, monkeys beside the morning roadsides, and vistas around most corners.

Dean in KL.

Last edited by deaninkl; 03-28-17 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 03:37 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Riding ever increasing distances in Heat and Humidity makes for a tired but strong rider. Keep the cranks turning and say Hi to the monkeys for me.
Old 03-28-17, 10:50 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And hello from North Pole, Alaska. Not seen any monkey on any recent rides...
Old 03-28-17, 02:39 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Hello Dean. Part of my family lives in downtown KL just a block away from City Center. When you see all the monkeys are you out near Batu Caves? I was in KL two years ago for my oldest son's wedding. I may not get back though as the marriage is currently undergoing a separation and he is now residing in Kowloon. The traffic was crazy, stay safe out there.
Old 03-28-17, 07:04 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Hello Dean. Part of my family lives in downtown KL just a block away from City Center. When you see all the monkeys are you out near Batu Caves? I was in KL two years ago for my oldest son's wedding. I may not get back though as the marriage is currently undergoing a separation and he is now residing in Kowloon. The traffic was crazy, stay safe out there.
Hi maddmaxx, where I start from is Gombak, which is next to Batu Caves, then wind up hill to Genting Sempah, about halfway fro KL to Genting Highlands....

Interracial marriages are hard work, (I'm in for 31 years already...) they need a lot of compromise, not something the young are great at in the days of FB and Twitter...

Yes traffic is crazy here, but I rarely ride in the city, and if I do its very early on a weekend morning.

Cheers.