Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dean's Log and Weight Loss plan....

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-28-17, 10:53 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dean’s ride log..

So, it was Jan. 1st (again) and I said quietly to myself (so no one would hear and laugh..) “you are a fat bastard and you need to lose weight”.

I say this every year and I do try for a month, then stop and put a couple extra lb’s on top of what I was. So at 58 I was not too sure what would come of this… my wife and daughter later said they join after I started, so a little incentive (both are not fat, my wife is a little overweight on the stomach, and my daughter just needs to tone..).
So on Jan first I was 103kg, at 5’ 9”…. With a BMI of borderline obese. I realistically need to lose 23kg, (about 50 lbs) so I set a goal of getting to 90kg first.. then, see where we go from there.

At first I took up regular walking, up a hill near where I stay during the week. But it’s rainy season and that gets stopped a lot so I decided to do biking at the weekends bcos rain here is mostly in the afternoons.
I knew of a good ride, uphill about 15km… 581m incline from start to finish…then a nice sail down the same way. I rode this route 20 years ago… when I was 18kg lighter…. So I would make this my Sunday morning ride. Here it’s hot so the plan is leave early by car 30km to the starting point. So towards the end of February I started the bike rides as well as the walking.

I Start riding about between 7.00 and 8.00am if possible, then be back down the hill about 10.00 to 10.30am. Start elevation is 115m, top of the hill is 696m distance of 14.8km one way. So the climb is fairly steep, and there is little let up, it climbs from start till the top.

First time out I seriously wanted to stop and just turn around, but I just slowed the pace, walked the tough parts and got to the top in 2 hours 25 minutes, coming down in 37 minutes... My first ride was on 26th Feb. Since then I’ve done 3 more, and I’m down to 1 hour 45 minutes up and 32 minutes down. Most importunely I’ve lost 7kg (15.4Lb)… and I look forward to the ride, getting to the top is a big thrill, and really gives you a buzz… (still want to quite every 20 minutes while on it though…)

Here are my times so far for my Sunday Morning Route… 14.8KM up, 14.8KM down, incline of 581m

2017-02-26 – Up 2 hours 25 minutes. Going down 37 minutes
2017-03-05 – Up 1 hour 55 minutes. Going down 32 minutes
2017-03-18 – Up 2 hours 10 minutes. Going down 32 minutes
2017-03-26 – Up 1 hour 45 minutes. Going down 31 minutes

Below are my FB notes from my rides so far….

2017-02-26
Gombak to Genting Sempah.. by bicycle, I did this foolishness 20 years ago, it takes a little longer now, 2 hrs 25 minutes going up and 37 minutes going down... it's all up hill, but the down bit is a lot of fun. About 30km in all.... now I need a shower...

2017-03-05
Must have been very tough because I didn’t make notes, but did take a picture of my bike in the shower….

2017-03-18
Bit slow today...missed last week with an injury...(athletic type that we triathlon people get....) �� �� And there were a few stops and some walking (feet movement in the form of running or walking is part of triathlon... my interpretation of that is pushing the bike up steepish inclines....) so 2 h 10 minutes for the up bit and 35 on the down bit... and
My clothing feels like I've been swimming......which is of course the other part of the triathlon. Sorted.

2017-03-26
This morning I was passed while getting my bike out of the car by an old couple that looked like they could be in their sixties... they were jogging not on bikes.. after getting underway it took be a good 30 minutes to catch them up and pass them... then as I stopped and pushed (as I do in the steep bits) they would pass me... this went on for the whole ride (and push)..... I finally beat them to the top but only by about 10 minutes... and this was my fastest time yet at 1 hour 45 minutes... for sure I was faster than them going down. So I am no longer doing the triathlon. I am pioneering a new sport, it's called "Ride & Push" it's a complicated new sport entailing riding it then walking beside it while you push the bike.... but there are strict rules on the % of time you can push.... and you are not allowed to let the bike push itself... I'm in talks with the Olympic committee...[/I]

I will now keep this log going in real time… and see if there is a correlation in my times, distances ridden and weight lost… at the start I was 103 kg (226 lb) now after almost 3 months I am 96 kg (211 lb) not earth shattering, but I firmly believe that loosing slowly, and without starving yourself is the way to go, few pounds a month is fine for me. I am losing weight and very much enjoying ridding again. My current cycling goal is to ride my Sunday hill without getting off and pushing… stop for water is fine, but actually cycle the complete journey… and to find a good flat ride that is longer and not too far from home….

By putting this here I hope it will shame me into not stopping.....

Last edited by deaninkl; 03-29-17 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 11:43 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Excellent ... keep up the riding.

And I'll tell you my story in brief ...

I've been into cycling since I was about 6 years old. Grew up in a cycling family. I rode my first century (100 mile ride) in 1994, and was actively into ultra long distance cycling up till my early 40s.

Then I kind of had to take a bit of a break after developing DVT on a flight to Australia in 2009. Rowan and I still did some events with Audax Victoria, and we took on the 7 Peaks Challenge in 2011, but we weren't cycling to the same level as we had before. In 2012, we spent about 8 months travelling the world, and while we did do some cycling we probably should have done more. :grin: I put on a bit of weight. Too much good food out there! Things were unsettled for the next couple years ... moving, job changes, etc., and that scenario often sets the scene for a bit of weight gain too.

In 2014, I was going through various perimenopausal symptoms, hit my highest weight ever ... and I started to think that this was it. After being such a slender, active person, I was now old and dumpy and would be for the rest of my life. But about two minute laterI came to my senses and I decided I wasn't ready for that yet ... and began by being more active through December. Unfortunately I was sidelined with two surgeries, a week apart, in January. But then in February 2015, I joined My Fitness Pal.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

In 2015, I lost the weight in two 16-week segments, and started getting back into the long distance cycling events again. In 2016, Rowan and I completed a couple 200 km events, a 300 km, and a 400 km ... and about 400 km of a 600 km (an unusual health issue kind of got in the way of that last one).

This year, we're trying it all again. We're in the midst of something Audax Australia has called a Petite Year Round Randonneur. We're attempting another Century-A-Month challenge. And we're participating in various other long distance events. I'm cycling up the hills and mountains around here and I've actually picked up speed!

In February, I cycled my 100th century (100 mile ride). I've done an additional 75 longer rides, but that was my 100th 100. This month, I turned 50 and we cycled two 200 km randonnees and several other rides for a total of 1000 km in the month.

And I'm still a member of My Fitness Pal ... still tracking my calories and watching what I eat, and for the most part, maintaining in the middle of my normal BMI range.

So ... in addition to the cycling, which is great, you might also want to consider a calorie tracking program. At least for a little while. It can be very eye opening.
Old 03-29-17, 02:33 AM
deaninkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Machka, somehow I can't see myself getting to your impressive distances, but as stated my cycling goal is to get to the 100km ride stage, which I believe will be doable within this year. Geography is an issue... I really think I could put down serious distance on flat roads, but i need to drive quite a way to find them. But plans are in place to overcome that... also for me time is an issue. I work away from home, so am at home weekends only, and there are plenty of things to do when I arrive home... during the week I hike, it gets dark at 7.00pm here as night riding is just not safe... but where there is a will there will be a way....
Old 03-29-17, 02:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

The thing is, when it comes to weight loss, it is less about cycling the long distances and more about your calorie intake. So for now, my suggestion would be to start tracking your food intake and just keep doing what you're doing with the cycling.

BTW - it's really hilly here too, in Tasmania. I've had to learn how to climb!! But that was one motivation to lose my weight ... less weight to haul up the hills.
Old 03-29-17, 08:59 AM
Insidious C. 
Crash Test Dummy

Bikes: Dawes, Williams, Raleigh, Daccordi, Scott, Univega, Mercier, Vitus, J. Anquetil, Specialized

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go Dean! I will wager you'll find the cycling itself as rewarding as the weight loss that results.
Old 03-29-17, 09:27 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
The thing is, when it comes to weight loss, it is less about cycling the long distances and more about your calorie intake. So for now, my suggestion would be to start tracking your food intake and just keep doing what you're doing with the cycling.

BTW - it's really hilly here too, in Tasmania. I've had to learn how to climb!! But that was one motivation to lose my weight ... less weight to haul up the hills.
Good advice. I occasionally use My Fitness Pal. It really helps me in losing weight because:

1. Ignorance is not bliss ... the caloric content of some foods is shockingly high.
2. I'm lazy. There are times that entering the calories of a snack is such a PITA, I forego eating it altogether.

Wait a minute ... you live in Tasmania?
Old 03-29-17, 10:02 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Documenting results is very important for continued development. Keep it up.

226 lbs was my peak weight as well. Now supporting 166-170. You can do it. Give it time and celebrate the accomplishments along the way.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-29-17, 06:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Good advice. I occasionally use My Fitness Pal. It really helps me in losing weight because:

1. Ignorance is not bliss ... the caloric content of some foods is shockingly high.
2. I'm lazy. There are times that entering the calories of a snack is such a PITA, I forego eating it altogether.

Wait a minute ... you live in Tasmania?
Yep ... have done for a few years now.
Old 03-29-17, 08:48 PM
deaninkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done the calorie counting before... (on one of my failed new tears resolutions, so am equipped to so so again, but its not black and white here... unlike the US, Aus or Europe, much of what is available in Malaysia simply is not on any list... so a lot of approximations are needed, the up side is that sweet snacks etc. are not so available, especially out of the cities. What is an issue is that Malay food in notoriously unhealthy, tasting great due to sugar being added to everything, even spicy vegetable dishes... sweat and sour is the norm, and the sweet is plain sugar even in savory dishes.

Of course no shortage of fruit here, which is generally at least good sugar... and plenty of leaf greens... I pretty much prepare all my own food so can control better..... portions are my problem... but getting better at that. Basically I have no will power but can simply stay away from the temptation by avoiding it. Staying away from pubs and eateries... I'll get there, I have a good feeling about this journey and the bike part in it.
Old 04-02-17, 02:48 AM
deaninkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode from Gombak to Genting Sempah this morning which is my Sunday morning regular haunt.. its up hill for 15km climbing 581 meters. For me its steep, but the young skinnies pass me like I'm stood still..... I have yet to get to the top on cycle power alone... generally i have to push the steeper parts, so my current aim is to cycle all the way without getting off accept for a pee and water...a bicycle seat reeks havoc on my pastorate... and tinkle stops are necessary... So with that in mind, and wanting to shorten my time, i pushed hard from the beginning, and did cycle over many of the early inclines that I normally push the bike up. But this enthusiasm was to get me back later.

First 8.5km was done in 40 minutes, I thought that my best time of 1 hour 45 minutes would easily be broke.... oh dear.. the next 6km is steeper..and I succumb to fatigue and had to get off... no worries I thought can still do it.. but the early push had taken it out of me and in the end I got up in 1 hour 45 minutes, 2 minutes off my best time, the 30 minutes going down however was the best so far. It was raining as well, but that is not a bad thing here as at least it was cooler.

happy riding.

almost forgot, lost another pound, that now 16lb since January.... for me thats the cherry on the cake...
Old 04-08-17, 10:04 PM
deaninkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this week saw the arrival of a new crank, a Compact 50/34 Tiagra, got that fitted yesterday and wow, what an improvement on the hill this morning. First 8km in 40 minutes, (all up hill) not a single push.. but then had to cut short the ride due to a land slide... end of road for today...

I have ordered an HG51 11-28 cassette, should arrive by the end of the month, by which time the M324 pedals should also be here. No weight loss this week, even though I had a couple of mid week hikes, but also had colleagues in town, and that meant a few pubs were hit... but that's OK, this week has been about the bike tweaks.

I found out just how race orientated my bike is this week, the 53/39 crank and 12-26 cassette are pretty much TDF territory for the lower incline stages.... some riders going to 11-28 for the mountain stages and rear down to 11-22 on the real flat stages... now theses guys are 30kg lighter than me...

happy riding.

Last edited by deaninkl; 04-09-17 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 05:19 PM
gobicycling

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Try another saddle - I changed and it was miraculous as far as the prostate problem.
Old 04-09-17, 11:51 PM
deaninkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling View Post
Try another saddle - I changed and it was miraculous as far as the prostate problem.
what did you change too?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-17, 12:49 PM
gobicycling

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deaninkl View Post
what did you change too?

Thanks.
Selle SMP Extra - but each person needs to find their own "special" saddle. YMMV
Old 04-10-17, 11:22 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good for you, Dean. I'm going through a similar reformation after a horrid health year. It's been fun to document my efforts and see the improvement. I'm currently in a lull in terms of weight loss after having dropped from 212 pounds in early February to 182 pounds at the end of March. That was a bit fast in terms of weight loss and I felt a psychological need to pause before going after the last ten or so pounds. I'll get back on the horse next week.

I bought one of those scales that measures fat content a couple of weeks ago. Since I'm now down to 12.5% fat, I am horrified at where I must have been two months ago. It's a fun toy and I heartily recommend it.

Also, I started using Strava to look at my rides. There are several segments on my usual training loop and it is amazing how that platform can encourage one to push harder where there is a known segment. It's great fun as long as one can enjoy the game of trying to ride a little faster than the last time.

Enjoy it all.
Old 04-14-17, 02:25 AM
deaninkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B Carfree.... wow that is a huge loss of weight in the space of 2 months, I'm aiming at a Lb a week, as I have lost before and found it back on plus.. so this time it has to be a regime I can enjoy and stick with. On the bike I really have times if hating ihe hills, and there are many where I live.. but once at the top the bad feeling evaporates and two days later I'm ready to do it again. Food wise I'm just being more sensible, fruit, veg, lean meat and less meat.

I'm now planning a 4 day 301km ride for July. Sneakily the last 150 km follow a big river to the coast... should be a gentle meander down if I remember my physics and geography.....
Old 04-14-17, 02:28 AM
deaninkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok this week I've had two jungle treks of 1 hour + each time and just did a quick 18km on the bike.. 1 hour 20 minutes... 9km uphill then mostly coasting down..

Will be doing an 80km ride on Sunday the longest yet.
Old 04-16-17, 01:10 AM
deaninkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So today's ride ended up being 104km, so I broke my metric 100 duck, I won't be trying for 100 miles anytime soon, unless I find a flat country and 18 degree C weather... the last hour and a half in city traffic and midday tropical sun were not any enjoyment at all.