Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wow! What just happened?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wow! What just happened?

Old 04-09-17, 12:01 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 553 Posts
Wow! What just happened?

In June I'll be 71. Today I went out with my gf for a little ride before we run off to see Jonathan Edwards down the road from us in Willimantic, CT. Time was a factor so we kept it short to 17.25 mi. This is my 4th ride of the season and I didn't come close to my weight goal of 185 lbs. I wasn't expecting much. So, with me at 192 lbs, we went off for a little ride. I was trying to concentrate on form and spinning. Yet, somehow I was cranking it. Even climbing without stress. At no point did my legs feel distress. We didn't go out to go fast but ended up at 14.2 mph. This is, by far, the best I've ridden at the start of a season in my life. I still have no idea how this happened. But, of course, I'm feeling pretty good right now. Damn.
Old 04-09-17, 01:03 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
In June I'll be 71. Today I went out with my gf for a little ride before we run off to see Jonathan Edwards down the road from us in Willimantic, CT. Time was a factor so we kept it short to 17.25 mi. This is my 4th ride of the season and I didn't come close to my weight goal of 185 lbs. I wasn't expecting much. So, with me at 192 lbs, we went off for a little ride. I was trying to concentrate on form and spinning. Yet, somehow I was cranking it. Even climbing without stress. At no point did my legs feel distress. We didn't go out to go fast but ended up at 14.2 mph. This is, by far, the best I've ridden at the start of a season in my life. I still have no idea how this happened. But, of course, I'm feeling pretty good right now. Damn.
Awesome.
Old 04-09-17, 04:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 277 Posts
Lay off the E P O!
Old 04-09-17, 06:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 141 Posts
Very cool about Jonathan Edwards! Oh and also the bike ride 8-)

What have you been doing for fitness during your off season?

It could have also been just a good day. Sometimes we ride like heroes for no reason other than it's just a good day for some biological or psychological reason. Flip side are the all too many days we just feel sluggish and weak for no reason. But figure out why and do it every day!
Old 04-09-17, 11:53 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
71 is the new 55, keep it up and have fun.
Old 04-10-17, 01:50 AM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats great... saw Edwards back in 1972, it was alot of fun.
Old 04-10-17, 05:53 AM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Good deal. Keep on riding and enjoy it.
Old 04-10-17, 06:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
Very cool about Jonathan Edwards! Oh and also the bike ride 8-)

What have you been doing for fitness during your off season?

It could have also been just a good day. Sometimes we ride like heroes for no reason other than it's just a good day for some biological or psychological reason. Flip side are the all too many days we just feel sluggish and weak for no reason. But figure out why and do it every day!
Jonathan Edwards was fun and touching. He was playing at a local church that also serves as a music venue. It's called St. Paul's and it does this to raise money for it's food bank. Tickets were $30 each. A very intimate setting and my gf met him afterwards. I was outside with some friends that I had run into. She said she teared up and thanked him for his music and his humanity. She said he also teared up and thanked her.

I've been going to the gym 3 days a week and lifting. I usually do 3x8 curls with 30 lbs each arm...leg lifts 3x8 with 275 lbs...leg presses 3x8 with 500 lbs...and then pull downs and flys. I don't really do a lot. Some yoga stretches but that's about it. I was a college scholarship football (QB) and baseball (SS) athlete and my body still reacts quickly to getting in shape.

As for the ride, as you suggest, it was just one of those days. It wasn't the speed, which was faster than usual at this time of year, it was the feeling of being relaxed and fluid. I think the French call it "supplesse."

Last edited by bruce19; 04-10-17 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 11:07 PM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,115 Posts
This is, by far, the best I've ridden at the start of a season in my life. I still have no idea how this happened. But, of course, I'm feeling pretty good right now. Damn.

Damn it feels good ....at any age.
Old 04-11-17, 09:37 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Awesome, love that feeling when everything go great!

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 04-19-17, 03:07 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

The clue is in the first line, your g/f.
You needed a pacemaker. non medical, you understand. She was it. I followed a young lady at 30mph down the road. She slipstreamed a van, and kept up the pace when he'd gone. Impressive! They've caught us up, fellas . . . . .be afraid . . . .