Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Tried a Copenhagen Wheel?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-23-17, 08:45 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 60 Posts

https://superpedestrian.com/the-copenhagen-wheel

Old 04-23-17, 09:29 AM
linberl

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Nope, but I just bought in on kickstarter for the Urbanx wheel (front wheel version). Reasonably priced, ends Monday morning. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ric-bike-in-60 don't know if it meets your needs....
Old 04-23-17, 01:12 PM
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Interesting, but somehow I was hoping for a wheel of cheese. 😉
Old 04-23-17, 03:40 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
And you guys think a Rohloff is heavy. LOL
Old 04-23-17, 04:58 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
I ride to burn calories so I can drink more beer. 1,500 bucks buys a lot of beer that I wouldn't be able to drink because I will burn less calories riding.

Seriously, I have a feeling that I will be in the market for e-assist in 15 years or so. With developments in battery technology and increased demand, value for the price may be darn good by then.
Old 04-23-17, 05:07 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's gonna be like a sail in a crosswind......
Old 04-23-17, 05:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 215 Posts
Might not be too bad in the wind. When I got a set of grocery panniers in 2015 the first thing I did was take 'em empty on a ride on the hilliest, windiest route around on a day with steady crosswinds and gusts up to 20 mph. Wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected.
Old 04-23-17, 07:00 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
Interesting, but somehow I was hoping for a wheel of cheese. 😉
I was thinking it was a tobacco produce.
Old 04-24-17, 08:00 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Anyone who has one would have to be a 'true believer'. They are only now shipping a few of these wheels to folks that ordered them in 2013.

The company is apparently involved in a couple of lawsuits and there are 'net claims they delete complaints on their comment page.

There are plenty of competing products that one can walk into a B&M, try and buy.
Old 04-24-17, 08:26 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 53 Posts
I'd consider one for fun if they'd up the speed limit to 45kph like some other bikes. Could shave a few minutes off my commute. People seem reasonably pleased on their Facebook page but the battery life seems it might be less than originally planned.
Old 04-24-17, 09:14 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Might not be too bad in the wind. When I got a set of grocery panniers in 2015 the first thing I did was take 'em empty on a ride on the hilliest, windiest route around on a day with steady crosswinds and gusts up to 20 mph. Wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected.
So it was bad.
Old 04-24-17, 10:29 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It weighs more than my bike...
Old 04-24-17, 12:30 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 39 Posts
"People smile, laugh, and cry out in joy when they try the new Copenhagen Wheel for the first time."

I'll try to resist.
Old 04-24-17, 12:53 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been reading about this product for nearly five years. I've never seen one. I'd love to try one. In the meantime, I'll continue to commute on my ebike.
Old 04-24-17, 05:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist View Post
So it was bad.
It wasn't Miss Gulch in a twister bad.

Old 09-09-17, 02:11 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried one this afternoon at the NY Bike Jumble.

It was awesome but very heavy, and they are not cheap. I want one!
Old 09-10-17, 09:33 PM
gregf83 

I borrowed one for a couple days a few weeks ago. Used it commuting to and from work. I'm sure it's not for everyone but it's just what I've been looking for. Very smooth and powerful and has enough juice to assist on my 62km round trip. It saves about 10 min each way off my ride and smooths out the intensity so I don't have to push so hard on the hills. I plan to use a couple of times a week when I need a break.

The regenerative braking is also a great feature which applies a strong braking force when you pedal backwards slightly. The max speed is adjustable up to 40kph. It would be quite usable for me with a single speed bike so that may be my next acquisition.

I ordered one and it should arrive tomorrow.
Old 09-11-17, 02:19 AM
Bike Gremlin
Bike Gremlin

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How efficent is the drivetrain when pedalling? From the pics on their site it seems to have a clutch like mechanism - not the most efficient in terms of mechanical losses (at least when you have a low powered human engine at disposal). The spoke system also looks strange - not sure about spoke replacement and the wheel's strength/durability.

Compared to other electrical bicycle systems, the main advantage (and selling point) seems to be the universality - any bike can be fitted with such wheel, even if the frame is not designed to take up bateries - fitting out of the box, without the need to manually adjust your bicycle.

I also wonder how long the bateries last.
Old 09-11-17, 08:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
How efficent is the drivetrain when pedalling? From the pics on their site it seems to have a clutch like mechanism - not the most efficient in terms of mechanical losses (at least when you have a low powered human engine at disposal). The spoke system also looks strange - not sure about spoke replacement and the wheel's strength/durability.

Compared to other electrical bicycle systems, the main advantage (and selling point) seems to be the universality - any bike can be fitted with such wheel, even if the frame is not designed to take up bateries - fitting out of the box, without the need to manually adjust your bicycle.

When these hit the news 4 or 5 years ago, I read that they were individually replaceable 18650 cells. That might have changed by now, but they have 300-500 full charge cycles before the capacity drops some 30% or so, double those cycles if you have a more reasonable charging with something less than full cycle. Roughly speaking.

The price is also double what was published back then, priced out of what I'd personally be willing to pay. Still, if you want the battery you've got to pay, and it's tempting tech. I'd like to have one.
Old 09-11-17, 08:48 AM
gregf83 

Pretty difficult for me to measure efficiency since I don't have an accurate way to measure how much power the motor is adding. I'll ride it this week with a powermeter but that will just tell my my effort. In any case, it works very smoothly.

I wanted a drop bar bike that wasn't too heavy. There aren't many drop-bar ebikes under 40 lbs.

Battery is relatively small, 280Wh, but big enough for my commute and that's all I'll ever use it for. I wouldn't normally use the e-bike on a ride.
Old 09-11-17, 08:51 AM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
When these hit the news 4 or 5 years ago, I read that they were individually replaceable 18650 cells. That might have changed by now, but they have 300-500 full charge cycles before the capacity drops some 30% or so, double those cycles if you have a more reasonable charging with something less than full cycle. Roughly speaking.
Definitely not individually replaceable cells. That wouldn't work well. They claim 1000 cycles to 70%, we'll see. If I have access to the battery through the charging port I may measure the capacity at the beginning and keep track over time.
Old 09-11-17, 10:33 AM
richas

Bikes: Giant Defy Disc 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very stylistic design, but expensive...

Rich
Old 09-11-17, 12:01 PM
Bike Gremlin
Bike Gremlin

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Pretty difficult for me to measure efficiency since I don't have an accurate way to measure how much power the motor is adding. I'll ride it this week with a powermeter but that will just tell my my effort. In any case, it works very smoothly.

I wanted a drop bar bike that wasn't too heavy. There aren't many drop-bar ebikes under 40 lbs.

Battery is relatively small, 280Wh, but big enough for my commute and that's all I'll ever use it for. I wouldn't normally use the e-bike on a ride.
I'm curious about the non-assisted mode. When assist is off, does it take noticeably more effort to ride on flats and up hills, than with a regular wheel?
Old 09-11-17, 12:18 PM
gregf83 

I'm curious about the non-assisted mode. When assist is off, does it take noticeably more effort to ride on flats and up hills, than with a regular wheel?
It certainly doesn't accelerate well when there's no assist and it feels like it's actually applying brakes but when I look down at the speed and consider my effort it seems reasonable. When I borrowed the wheel I didn't have a powermeter on my bike so it was a little hard to tell but I suspect it feels sluggish because it's a 16lb wheel. I set the max speed to 32kph one morning and didn't have any problem averaging 35 with a little tailwind on a 30min section of highway.

Going up hills I expect to be about 8% slower due to the weight. I have a bridge about 60m that took 3:34 to climb this morning. With an extra 16lbs it should take an additional 18 Seconds so not a big deal. With the wheel assisting the climb took 2:20.
Old 09-11-17, 12:42 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 73 Posts
2:20 to go 60 meters? What?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.