Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Admit It. I Rotate/Swap Tires

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-24-17, 11:24 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts

Just did this with my Criterium Series. Michelin Krylions are too nice to throw both away when the rear tire begins to square off. I recall the debate on this from other times and places. So, after the swapperooni I was grinning. This set will finish the season.
Old 06-24-17, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I am getting ready to swap my Continental Gatorskin tires. They have about 3400 miles on them and around 4000 I will make the swap.
Old 06-24-17, 12:51 PM

Liked 3,498 Times in 1,621 Posts
hi... my name is Steve and I'm a tire swapper. It's been 3 months since I swapped my last tire. It's great to be here with other folks with this same disease.

yeah, I've done it at times, and think that it's fine as long as the rear tire isn't too far gone. For cases where the tires are unique and not easily replaced with a new equivalent, it is worth doing.

Fortunately, I can usually find an equivalent and just install a new rear tire. I think this has gotten easier by using tires that are either all black, or the traditional black tread with tan sidewall. The Veloflex tires with tan sidewalls (the Master??) has made this easier to do.

Of course, the next question is how long can you run a tire on the front? Practically, I suspect that as long as the tread and cords are in good shape, it should be fine. There's probably a time limit on this, though. I've got some tubulars that came with my 1974 International that still hold air and look pretty good, but I can't imagine ever trusting them enough to bother gluing them onto a rim.

Steve in Peoria
Old 06-24-17, 02:37 PM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Don't think my local bike shop would be happy to swap tyres . . . but I'd ask him if I was getting something else done too. . . . .new cassette bottom end, or similar. I usually just change the back one. Best chance of avoiding punctures imo.
Which would facilitate another trip to the bike shop . . . .What am I becoming? ..
Old 06-24-17, 02:48 PM

Liked 5,651 Times in 2,932 Posts
Saint Sheldon would not approve: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html
Old 06-24-17, 02:59 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Saint Sheldon would not approve: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html
Too late and I dont care.
Old 06-24-17, 03:59 PM
Expired Member

Liked 5,925 Times in 2,987 Posts
I do it the other way. Wear out the rear, front to rear and new tire on front. It probably makes no difference but my WAG is a worn tire may be more likely to flat and I would prefer that happen at the rear.
Old 06-24-17, 04:27 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,083 Times in 2,641 Posts
Something to consider: a flatted clincher can come off the rim, especially at speed. That clincher will not get past the brakes and fork or stays. If you do high speed descents, you might want to consider whether you are comfortable with the idea of a front tire (or any tire) coming off.

This is one of the big advantage of sewup tires. Properly glued on, they stay on at any speed, even if they blow out violently. I have come to a stop from a 45 mph blowout. Huge heart race, but otherwise, not a big deal. I also had a flatted clincher (rear) come off the rim at ~25 mph. It was like riding on ice. In my efforts to stay off the adjacent curb, I was totally unprepared when the tire jammed in my seatstays. Broken collarbone and cracked rib. Also slammed my helmet. That crash has had me thinking of going back to sewups, for health reasons.

Ben
Old 06-24-17, 04:31 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Michelin Krylions are too nice to throw both away when the rear tire begins to square off.

Why do you feel you have to throw away both tires when only one is worn?

Can't the rear tire be replaced by itself?

-Tim-
Old 06-24-17, 05:29 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
I rotate the tires on my errand bike. Those thick tread 700x40 Michelin Protek Cross Max ain't gonna wear out anytime soon. But I'd like them to wear evenly.

But I wouldn't do that with the road bike -- both tires have only about 300 miles on 'em and both have identical 1/8" cuts (fortunately in the deepest part of the tread and not through the puncture liner), so I'll replace both at the same time with better tires.

And probably won't with the hybrid's Continental Speed Rides. The rear Speed Ride is just beginning to show some wear. By the end of the year I'll move the front to the rear and put a new tire on the front.
Old 06-24-17, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Why do you feel you have to throw away both tires when only one is worn?

Can't the rear tire be replaced by itself?

-Tim-
I prefer buying tires in sets. This is the 3rd season and the fade is obvious.

To the topic: saftety isnt really a concern, casing on the squared off tire is still thicker than some of my sewups. At the risk of sounding flippant, if the tire was a threat to my safety I wouldnt put it on the front, I've been at this for a while.
Old 06-24-17, 09:35 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,983 Times in 2,292 Posts
I ride tubulars mostly and for the last 2 purchases decided to buy 3 tires. Replace worn rear usually, but there are situations where rotate would be OK.
Old 06-24-17, 09:43 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I considered swapping, or just buying one new one, putting it on the front and swapping the front to the rear. What I've found though is that by the time the rear is nicely squared off, the front is so cut around with glass that I just bin it as well. It probably helps that I've been using the Maxxis ReFuse which, apart from refusing to get punctures despite all the glass, I can usually get dirt cheap by waiting for a sale online.
Old 06-24-17, 09:57 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I would have loved to swap my Continental Grand Prix 4000S II but a 1 cm sidewall cut on the rear tire after only 1,000 km killed that plan (and the tire)
Old 06-24-17, 10:07 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,961 Times in 1,642 Posts
I generally use the same tires on the same bikes, so there's never a question of unmatched sets. Even if there were, I wouldn't care.

So I don't systematically rotate tires, and tend to go through 2 or 3 rears for every front. However, my front tires don't wear out, they age out. So, if my rear needs replacing, and the front is showing age, I'll move it back to wear out before the walls go, and start the new tire up front.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-24-17, 10:23 PM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I just replaced a rear 25MM Schwalbe One rear tire that was worn down to the cords in a few places after 6000KM.

The front tire is the same age and still is in good condition. I didn't rotate because my typical cruise speeds are between 25-30kph, I rarely crack 50kph, (no hills here) and I've been able to safely roll to a stop with the blowouts I've had thus far.

The last blowout I had was caused by reusing a latex tube. (had a few patches, some sealant, and was not the same shape as a new tube) Made an ungodly mess, the pink tube wrapped itself around the spokes, chain, and sealant was everywhere. The loud bang ensured that I had the full attention of everyone, more of an embarrassment than anything else.
Old 06-24-17, 10:32 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

"The last blowout I had was caused by reusing a latex tube. (had a few patches, some sealant, and was not the same shape as a new tube) Made an ungodly mess, the pink tube wrapped itself around the spokes, chain, and sealant was everywhere. The loud bang ensured that I had the full attention of everyone, more of an embarrassment than anything else."
If I had a green Slime sealant tube/tire blow mess I'd be temped to scream "E.T.!!! NOOOO!!! ELLIOT, HOW COULD YOUUU!!!"
Old 06-24-17, 10:37 PM

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
Yes, my rear on my bike I put the most miles on wears much faster than the front. So, when I need to remove the rear for some other issue I may very well switch them out.
Old 06-24-17, 11:52 PM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by canklecat
If I had a green Slime sealant tube/tire blow mess I'd be temped to scream "E.T.!!! NOOOO!!! ELLIOT, HOW COULD YOUUU!!!"
Heh.

I think the 80's film reference would only increase the blankness of the stares.

A middle aged white guy in distress in China can elicit the same reaction from bystanders as E.T. would.
Old 06-25-17, 12:14 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by SHBR
I just replaced a rear 25MM Schwalbe One rear tire that was worn down to the cords in a few places after 6000KM.
BTW, how'd you like that Schwalbe One? I'm considering a set of those to replace the Vittoria Zaffiro 700x23 that came with my bike.
Old 06-25-17, 12:56 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I swap tires all the time, front to rear and rear to front, and seldom because of wear. I typically do loaded touring with a 32r and 28f. When I get home I’ll switch the 28 to the rear and put a 25 up front for round town commuting. For charity rides and sportives the 25 will head to the rear wheel and a 23 on the front, but lately I’ve been just putting 25s on front and rear for the comfort of the ride.

For me if a tire is not safe for the front wheel it’s not safe period and needs to be retired immediately. I have no evidence but I suspect folks who follow Saint Sheldon’s tire rule keep their tires on long after mine have gone to recycling. Then yes, it is more dangerous to have a badly worn tire on the front than the rear but it is still dangerous.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 06-25-17, 01:19 AM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by canklecat
BTW, how'd you like that Schwalbe One? I'm considering a set of those to replace the Vittoria Zaffiro 700x23 that came with my bike.
They are OK on dry clean roads. Smoother riding and more comfortable than the 23MM tires they replaced.
They have paper thin sidewalls, not suitable for rough roads, the same as most performance oriented road tires.
Also, no grip on wet roads.
Old 06-25-17, 01:40 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

[MENTION=361869]SHBR[/MENTION] -- Ah, those may not be suitable for what I'm hoping to get from replacements. I'd like to soften the jolt in the rough chipseal I often encounter. So far no problems with sidewall cuts and I avoid gravel on the road bike. But I already have 1/8" cuts in the main contact tread of the Vittoria Zaffiros within 300 miles.

I'm not sure these skinny Araya CTL-370 rims can handle 700x28, even if the frame and brakes have enough clearance. I may try some Rubinos.

OTOH, Jenson USA has the Schwalbe One V-Guards for less than $20 each. I may give 'em a try anyway at that price.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-25-17, 02:29 AM
C*pt*i* Obvious

I've got 14MM internal width rims, I have used 28MM tires without issues.

Frame and brake clearance are what matters.

If I wanted a fairly durable, but smooth riding tire I'd go for Panaracer paselas, or the T-serv, which is the same tire I believe.

I've also used Panaracer ribmos, tough tire, terrible ride quality and wet road grip.
Old 06-25-17, 07:09 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
New, best, tire goes on the front.. front blow outs are not pleasant events.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.