Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who thinks that bike tires are getting better?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Who thinks that bike tires are getting better?

Old 07-01-17, 09:46 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,136 Times in 2,666 Posts
The clinchers of the '80s were vastly inferior to the decent sewups of the '70s. Maybe better on flats. Vastly inferior on wet corners. I remember vividly taking a tight downhill corner I had done many times in the rain on sewups at a not esp high speed on my early clinchers and getting the "oh s***"s at the apex of the turn as both tires lost it.

I think the sewup tire has real inherent advantages over clincher tires in ride and wet road grip and that it has taken a lot of work by the tire researchers to begin to match and exceed what sewups had long ago.

Ben
Old 07-02-17, 12:46 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Plastic bottles and aluminum cans make a big difference, too. It's pretty rare to see broken glass on the road.
What?
Even though we have a deposit system for bottles (glass and plastic) and cans, our roads are still littered with broken beer bottles. Then there's the ever popular car accident debris with nails and screws from tradesmen's vehicles to keep us honest.
Old 07-02-17, 05:47 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,933 Times in 2,232 Posts
Beer bottle glass here, too.

Old 07-02-17, 04:12 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,393 Times in 811 Posts
Everything is getting better. Oh, except for politics.
Old 07-04-17, 06:45 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
In my estimation, bike and tire care is improving. That may have a bearing on this question.

I was thinking the other day (as I rotated tires on the Criterium Series) of my high school years blazing up the road on a Motobecane in '73-75, never did we have a saddle bag for snacks, minimal water, and ZERO flat tires. Never once did those gumwall 27x1.25's fail me. Dang, we never guaged or topped them off! Imagine that! We just gave them a pinch, checked brakes and zoomed off on our everday 20-50mi of blissful riding.
Old 07-04-17, 06:54 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
The tire that changed it all for me came out 15 years ago, the Bontrager Select K. It was a revelation: Riding through the nasty streets of Everett, Charlestown, Malden, Waltham, Quincy, Mass and not getting any flats. Since then, I've ridden on quicker, nimbler and lighter tires.., but none better.
Man, I hated those Select K's for their lifeless feel and sluggish performance. But as you said, one tough tire and dependable.
Old 07-04-17, 02:21 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I agree with the OP about the newer tires but I'm having more flats. But I'm riding harsher roads with more junk on the surface. I'm probably going with Gatorskins on my next tour.
Old 07-04-17, 04:07 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Liked 1,009 Times in 504 Posts
My present road set is the IRC Paperlite Plus (23mm). They have 220 t.p.i.
I think they're from around the year 2000. Does any current clincher have a t.p.i. like that?

Old 07-05-17, 08:23 PM

Bikes: A few...

Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Tires have also gotten much better in tread life. BITD, like the mid '70s, I'd rarely get 1200 miles out of a rear tire - the tread would be worn out, or even through to the cords. Anybody remember the Schwinn Super Record 27" tires? The 'tread' was a ridged triangle -- a sharp point, that as it wore got broader. Outside of that center area was a file or herringbone pattern. When the center section wore down and got to be about 5/16 to 3/8 wide, you'd start to see casing cords. In some respects, it kinda resembles the CST tires of today, but the CST uses a wide, flat raised center section as a 'wear' surface.
Old 07-16-17, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I supposed, like most things, bike tires have gotten better, but I think, mainly, it depends where you ride. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia, about 16 miles from New Hope, PA. I like to ride Rt 232 to New Hope, cross the river there, and continue on RT 29 to Frenchtown, another 9 miles or so. The road is smoothly paved, and I would characterize it as mostly flat with very gradual rolling hills. Ten years ago, I could maintain speeds of 18 - 22 miles per hour between Bull's Island State Park and Frenchtown (not any more, LOL).

The road has generously wide shoulders, but years of users throwing glass bottles onto the pavement have left a permanent, if invisible, layer of glass bits on the shoulder. It seemed to me that I could ride almost anywhere else and remain flat free. Ride that road, and I could count on a flat. Road it for the first time in 8 years yesterday. Flatted three times. I'm better now than I used to be at making roadside tire changes, and CO2 cartridges, IMO, allow one to regain tire presser better than if using a hand pump (I like to ride with 120 PSI in my tires).

But, even CO2 cannisters will not give you high pressure.

Flatting when you cannot pump back to your desired pressure sort of takes the wind out of my sails. The good news is that there is a decent bike shop in Frenchtown where you can purchase a new tire if necessary (it was necessary for me).

My takeaway is that things haven't changed all that much. I used to ride with very heavy tires that were supposed to trade performance for heartiness. I paid the performance part, sure enough, but my experience was not rewarded in the heartiness department.

My 2 cents.

Caruso