Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling, is it your Fountain of Youth?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling, is it your Fountain of Youth?

Old 08-25-17, 05:41 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Same story....Riding and my gym time are significant contributors to keeping my blood sugar and blood pressure numbers down. I've dropped quite a bit of weight, and I have a lot less aches pains than I did before I started riding again.

I have a goal weight to hit this year, and when I do, I'm going to celebrate by riding my first century.
Old 08-25-17, 11:23 AM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know about reversing the effects of aging, but I do know that many other people in my age group who do not cycle and eat healthy, are feeling the effects of aging more than I am.

I have a few friends who smoke, exercise very little, and eat a lot of unhealthy foods. They don't like to walk, hike, or ride with me because what I consider a leisurely stroll, they consider a grueling ordeal. It's not that I am some fitness freak (far from it), but the difference between an active lifestyle that includes healthy doses of cycling, and a sedentary lifestyle that includes poor eating habits and worse, is very obvious during shared activities.
Old 08-25-17, 11:59 AM
buddawithbeer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my body doesn't take martial arts well any more. after my shoulder surgery, haven't done much of anything for 5-7 yrs. picked up fixed gear about a month ago and i'm rather happy. i gave up smoking (still vape), gave up drinking (only drink when i'm grilling), and been looking for something to get my blood flowing again. we'll see how long i can stay with my fixed gear. so far i'm loving it, but who knows. fell down few times and i'm still getting back on, so either i really like it or i see it as my last resort as far as physical activity is concerned.
Old 08-25-17, 12:17 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by buddawithbeer View Post
my body doesn't take martial arts well any more. after my shoulder surgery, haven't done much of anything for 5-7 yrs. picked up fixed gear about a month ago and i'm rather happy. i gave up smoking (still vape), gave up drinking (only drink when i'm grilling), and been looking for something to get my blood flowing again. we'll see how long i can stay with my fixed gear. so far i'm loving it, but who knows. fell down few times and i'm still getting back on, so either i really like it or i see it as my last resort as far as physical activity is concerned.
Give it time. You'll be drinking when working on that fixed gear too. That's a tradition!
Old 08-25-17, 07:44 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Absolutely. At 60, I am in the best shape of my life including when I played basketball in high school. I weigh at least 20 pounds less as well.
Old 08-28-17, 05:45 AM
timtak

Bikes: R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I think cycling is my fountain of youth, because I think I look, feel, and weigh young but
1) my lower back problems may be exacerbated by cycling, especially at in my ridiculously long and low style
2) cycling facilitates my alcohol drinking which may kill me, via liver cancer for instance
3) I could crash, and burn, at any time
For me, road bike cycling is like "The Picture of Dorian Gray," or Satanist, since it keeps me looking young but facilitates wickedness which may land me in hell at any time soon.

Last edited by timtak; 08-28-17 at 05:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-17, 07:45 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the 4th of July, I got invited on a boat ride by a good looking intoxicated divorcee. I'm minding my own business and out of the blue she begins gushing about how studly I am for all to hear. Without the muscles from cycling, she wouldn't have done that. I felt like I was 30.
Old 09-02-17, 11:25 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
On the 4th of July, I got invited on a boat ride by a good looking intoxicated divorcee. I'm minding my own business and out of the blue she begins gushing about how studly I am for all to hear. Without the muscles from cycling, she wouldn't have done that. I felt like I was 30.
You did say she was intoxicated didn't you?
Old 09-02-17, 11:48 AM
Lakerat

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
You did say she was intoxicated didn't you?
That makes her smile a lot and she looks really good when she smiles. I'm really a hunchback ogre, so she really must have tied one on.

Last edited by Lakerat; 09-02-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-04-17, 12:19 PM
Keith777

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if its the fountain of youth but in my experience the fittest older people I know for the most part have been serious bike riders.
Old 09-06-17, 07:39 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 42 Posts
It feels like the fountain of youth when I'm around 99.9% of the population.
But with the group I cycle with, I just feel old and slow.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-06-17, 10:51 AM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
It feels like the fountain of youth when I'm around 99.9% of the population.
But with the group I cycle with, I just feel old and slow.
Word.
Old 09-08-17, 01:45 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
I need to hang at the local boat yard more often.
Old 09-21-17, 07:29 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a young niece who is a visiting nurse. She came home for a few days recently, and noticed that I had lost weight, and said that I look "all hunky and stuff" (or something like that). LOL
Old 09-23-17, 07:04 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
I had a personal example of what happens if you dont exercise. My father worked like a dog all his life on the farm. At 65 he retired---------------to his easy chair and TV. Sorry to say that in 3 years he died at 68. I am now more than 10 years older that he was when he passed riding almost 100 miles a week, and am in quite good shape. Yes I would say my bike and trike are my fountain of youth. My BP is usually at 122 over 72, and my resting heart rate is in the high 50s.