Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling, is it your Fountain of Youth?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-23-17, 08:32 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've created one of these threads before. And, the response was positive. IMO, the anti-aging effects I've seen on older humans who cycle is indisputable. I wonder if there has been any science done to study the phenomena. I've seen a few articles, but they stop short of actually declaring it the fountain of youth.

Do you feel that bicycling is your secret to good health and longevity?
Old 07-23-17, 09:36 AM
UKFan4Sure

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I think it's great for several reasons, and one of the surprising benefits is mental health. Anyone who has taken a nice ride with a few friends out in the boonies and back can attest that it is pure relaxation and has a zen-like quality akin to Yoga.

It is also good for the cardiovascular system, and makes for a good calorie burn.

Where people could do better is in upper body training. There isn't much there going on for cyclists as evidenced by a quick peak at some local club riders' physiques.
Old 07-23-17, 09:59 AM
Wildwood
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 151 Posts
Good genes = best technique for longevity.
Good cardio = best technique for feeling better.

Beyond that it's a mystery (or a crapshoot) to me.
Old 07-23-17, 10:48 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 114 Posts
Cycling has many benefits. One of them has been the gift of being able to feel like an athlete again, even at age 71. And, that has helped me have a positive outlook on aging.
Old 07-23-17, 10:51 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YUP! Already training for a sub 10 century in 2019 to celebrate my 80th b-day.
Old 07-23-17, 10:59 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Sure seems it...as I am now over thirty for the second time. Trying to stay fit the last thirty has helped place me where I am.
Old 07-23-17, 11:06 AM
look566 rider

Bikes: 2016 Bianchi Infinito w/Chorus, 2011 Look 566 (deceased May 28, 2016), '04 Cannondale Optimo 800, '87 d'Arienzo-Basso w/full Campy & '51 Rudge Sports, '72 Raliegh Superbe. 1989 Black Lightning and '62 Raliegh Gran Sport (currently under restoration).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm soon to be 57.

I have elder relatives that did not do much in the area of exercise and diet control. These relatives are now battling Alzheimer's, dementia and failing bodies. Although I know exercise and diet are not the only factors, my own mother who has made the effort to exercise and eat well is fairing much better.

In general I have seen people who are active both mentally and physically stay sharper later in life.

Also, peers in my age group (acquaintances, current and old friends) that aren't avid exercisers and don't pay attention to what they eat all seem to have more issues and less desire to push themselves.

So, YES, I feel cycling is my fountain of youth! I will ride, exercise and eat well and hopefully be around for a very long time.
Old 07-23-17, 11:54 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'm 57. I wore my Boy Scout web belt yesterday. Still fits.
Old 07-23-17, 11:58 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 50 Posts
In a word, yes.

I'll go further. For blokes like me still working for a living, commuting by bike has been my fountain of youth.
Old 07-23-17, 12:06 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My cycling's improved since doing indoor classes at the gym. Intensive, fun, and for all ages. The over 70's (women usually) and much younger cope admirably with the sheer madness of it all . . .loud (good) music, near the knuckle jokes from the instructress . . . . great fun. A privilege to be able to do it.
I'll take all this back to the hills when summer makes another appearance, hopefully soon. Share a sausage butty with Andrew the Gentleman o' the Road if he's still around.
I had kinda had thoughts about slowing down because o' my age. Not any more!
Old 07-23-17, 12:11 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Im 78 and cycle anywhere from 20 to 35 miles every other day----------------yes my bike and trike are my fountain of youth machines.
Old 07-23-17, 12:14 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I strongly believe that keeping active and interested in life (and the luck of inheriting good genes) is the fountain of youth (or at least the elixir that helps slow down the inevitable).

If cycling is the activity that does this for you, great, but there are other options out there.

I don't know that cycling keeps me young, but it does help to make it easier getting old.
Old 07-23-17, 01:00 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
I strongly believe that keeping active and interested in life (and the luck of inheriting good genes) is the fountain of youth (or at least the elixir that helps slow down the inevitable).

If cycling is the activity that does this for you, great, but there are other options out there.

I don't know that cycling keeps me young, but it does help to make it easier getting old.
Mature answer.

I guess if I was in my usual snarky state of mind I'd say....'Cycling, it's better than nothing'. I mean, sitting on your butt for 3 hours, rotating through the same muscle groups over and over again ad nauseum, ...really? I suspect an aggressive game of ping pong is a better total body work-out and does a lot more for your brain.
Old 07-23-17, 01:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail View Post

Do you feel that bicycling is your secret to good health ...
yes, but it's no secret. Just ask anybody who knew me before/after.

Originally Posted by baron von trail View Post
...and longevity?
Too early to say
Old 07-23-17, 01:02 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
Mature answer.

I guess if I was in my usual snarky state of mind I'd say....'Cycling, it's better than nothing'. I mean, sitting on your butt for 3 hours, rotating through the same muscle groups over and over again ad nauseum, ...really? I suspect an aggressive game of ping pong is a better total body work-out and does a lot more for your brain.
Respectfully disagree. For many of us, mental health benefit of cycling is as important as the workout. For me, anyway, there's no "ad nauseum" to the repetitive activity, as you insinuate.
Old 07-23-17, 01:11 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
In a word, yes.

I'll go further. For blokes like me still working for a living, commuting by bike has been my fountain of youth.
Yeah. 90% of my rides are a 50 mile r/t commute. Finding that has worked wonders. Work is no longer stressful, even on days when it should be.
Old 07-23-17, 01:42 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
Respectfully disagree. For many of us, mental health benefit of cycling is as important as the workout. For me, anyway, there's no "ad nauseum" to the repetitive activity, as you insinuate.
Fully agreed.

For me the benefits of a ride go far beyond the physical workout, though that's an awfully nice bonus.

But regular riding coupled with some changes in my diet has resulted in over 40 pounds weight loss, and I've lost count of the number of people who have told me I look 10 years younger.

I'm quite prepared to call cycling my fountain of youth!
Old 07-23-17, 02:24 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Alas no.
I can't cycle any more without pain, a reminder of my aging infrastructure.
Old 07-23-17, 02:26 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 56 Posts
Cycling, is it your Fountain of Youth? As for myself, HARDLY!!!

Cycling is; however, a means by which I obtain enjoyable exercise that provides me with a certain state of physical and mental health that might otherwise not exist. At my age of 67, I am feeling aches, pains and tiredness that I did not feel when younger. Has cycling lessened the severity of these maladies or delayed their onset, damned if I know.

What I can say is that my mother of 89 years of age DID NOT HAVE EQUIVALENT ISSUES when she was my age, and quite frankly if the current dents in my armor continue to worsen, odds are favorable I will not live to be 89 nor do I really want to live that long if the downward spiraling of health continues.

Quality of Life is of the UTMOST IMPORTANCE to me and at this time my goal is to continue with 3 weekly rides to maintain a level of fitness that will keep me moving as freely as possible and since I do so much talking to myself on the rides, hopefully my mental acuity remains at an acceptable level.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-23-17 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-23-17, 06:16 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have two cousins, one a year older, one a year younger. When we were growing up people thought we were triplets. They've led sedentary lives with fishing and hunting being the most activity they enjoy while I have consistently enjoyed bike commuting and touring over the years. I'm sorry to say they are grey haired, pot-bellied, spindly legged old men, while I am mistaken for 20 years younger.

Marc
Old 07-23-17, 06:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 85 Posts
My bicycle has been the best and least expensive doctor I've ever had. OTOH, it is well known that overdoing it is not good for you. Overdoing anything. Which is one of those vague concepts that's going to be different for everyone. It is said that most riders neither go hard enough nor go easy enough. Learning to do those two things is the trick. Getting good at monitoring recovery has been very important for me.

I am now the oldest person still riding actively in our 20+ y.o. cycling group. All those older than I and many of those younger blew themselves up/wore themselves out. The last 3 years, I have had bib numbers 17, 14, and 15 for this Thursday's event, meaning there are n-1 riders older than I out of 800. I'll age out of this event eventually, but hopefully not for a while. Last year, #1 was 83. This year the rumor is that #1 is 79.
Old 07-23-17, 07:00 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 275 Posts
Yup, absolutely. I'd go nuts without a few bike rides a week. And I don't want to end up like my grandparents and mom, turning into aching, confused, helpless lumps of goo from a lifetime of smoking, poor diet and indolence. I'll take being flattened by a semi or smartphone-distracted driver during a nice bike ride, thanks.
Old 07-23-17, 07:37 PM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having picked the right parents is the key to my fountain of youth, but at age 65 at least having made an effort to stay in shape and good health for the last 25 years has helped as well.
Old 07-23-17, 07:52 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 56 Posts
Hell, yeah! "You don't quit cycling because you get old. You get old because you quit cycling."

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 07-25-17 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 10:43 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
Mature answer.

I play at a ping-pong club (or table tennis as it's known here in the UK) and sometimes get in one of the teams for local league matches. Great game that helps reflexes and and exercises many of the areas that cycling doesn't.

Variety in life is important, and I hope cycling will always be part of the equation.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 07-24-17 at 10:50 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.