Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My mileage is about to skyrocket i.e. retirement

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My mileage is about to skyrocket i.e. retirement

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-17, 11:56 AM

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club!! Don't forget though. If you are married, the honey do list increases exponentially following retirement. Good luck and happy trails!!!
Old 07-30-17, 08:39 AM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
This Friday, July 28th is the day I kiss all my headaches goodbye. I feel like I'm 17 years old and I just found out my girlfriend isn't pregnant. Not a care in the world.

My average weekly mileage of 15 - 30 miles should top 100 without even trying. I've always had it in me, I've just never had the time. God, I'm looking so forward to this I could cry.

TMT
Congratulations!

I retired in January at the age of 59. I am loving it. I ride 40 miles a day, three or four days a week, weather permitting. I actually look forward to Mondays, so the MUP (and everywhere else) won't be crowded.
Old 07-30-17, 11:51 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
Congratulations!

I actually look forward to Mondays, so the MUP (and everywhere else) won't be crowded.
Isn't that the truth. So great to be able to go cycling at the optimal
hour of every day instead of having to plan around work hours. Really increases the odds of those days when you have a really excellent ride.

I've been retired now for about a month and I honestly don't know where I found the time to work.

The problem though is since retirement, I'm outside so much more that I've had to really start worrying about the sun exposure. All in all, a great problem to have.

J.
Old 07-30-17, 02:42 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Isn't that the truth. So great to be able to go cycling at the optimal
hour of every day instead of having to plan around work hours. Really increases the odds of those days when you have a really excellent ride.

I've been retired now for about a month and I honestly don't know where I found the time to work.

The problem though is since retirement, I'm outside so much more that I've had to really start worrying about the sun exposure. All in all, a great problem to have.

J.
Same "problem" here. I slather on the sunblock. Wal-Mart's house brand Equate Ultra Protection SPF 50 Lotion is well rated by Consumer Reports. It comes in a 16 ounce plastic bottle. I fill an empty prescription pill bottle (maybe holds half an ounce) with the sunscreen and throw it in my bike bag. That way I can reapply every two hours as directed.

I also take a wash rag and use plain water and the rag to wash the sunscreen and sweat off before getting into my car when returning from the MUP. Between the sweat and the lotion, I'm about as greasy as a BBQ rib.

It's might be a bit of a pain in the ass, but it beats getting skin cancer.
Old 08-06-17, 09:20 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
so how's it going so far?

I'm a little over a year into retirement and actually riding a little less in mileage but doing a lot more bigger rides. I also play golf 5 days a week and enjoy time with the new grandkids.
Old 08-06-17, 01:04 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In my 9th year, left at 60, it doesn't suck!!
Old 08-06-17, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations OP!

I am hoping end of this year for me, it not sooner.
Old 08-11-17, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
This Friday, July 28th is the day I kiss all my headaches goodbye. I feel like I'm 17 years old and I just found out my girlfriend isn't pregnant. Not a care in the world.

My average weekly mileage of 15 - 30 miles should top 100 without even trying. I've always had it in me, I've just never had the time. God, I'm looking so forward to this I could cry.

TMT
Happy retirement: Since I retired in 2010 I'm living like a teenager. I ride every day around town and do two or three long rides a week. I don't go fast any more but I do average about 180 miles a week. My side job if it can be called that is to ride along with a group and make a video. For instance.

Have a wonderful retirement. You earned it.
Old 08-14-17, 11:18 AM

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757
+1. Probably got another 10 years to go myself, so long as I can stay gainfully employed that is. If not, will probably have to come up with an escape plan that involves selling-up here and heading somewhere where a house that isn't a complete ****-box can be bought with $200-300k. After paying off whatever was left on my mortgage, that would leave me a decent sized nest-egg plus, eventually (unless Congress does it a death blow), full-retirement-age Social Security. Alternatives include finding a rich widow or taking a reverse mortgage and staying put.

This discussion made me take a long hard look at the next 15 years of my life and I now have retirement scenarios that see me being able to quit working completely at either 62, 64, or 65+. I have decided that I am absolutely not going to work past the age of 66, no matter what.

All 3 scenarios allow for about the same lifestyle we enjoy now, and only in the one where I have to retire younger than 64 (our mortgage not yet being fully paid off) would we need to consider downsizing. I won't need to touch my SS until the age of 70, and if I am able to work to age 64 we wouldn't ever need to reverse mortgage the house providing SS was still paying out.

Very glad to say that things look much better on paper than they have in my head for the last couple of years.
Old 08-14-17, 05:40 PM

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
sounds fantastic. hope I am fortunate enough to do the same one day
Old 08-18-17, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
It took about 3 weeks for the work nightmares to stop. Now I'm sleeping like a baby.
Old 08-18-17, 10:30 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Congrats! I'm gonna be 70 this November and I'm FINALLY starting to get a little tired of working. I can feel retirement in my future, maybe in the new year. Mind you, I get 35 days vacation a year for touring so I haven't felt deprived. It all depends on the state of my IRA.