Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This one hurt. Microphlebectomy results

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

This one hurt. Microphlebectomy results

Old 07-28-17, 05:22 AM
  #1  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one hurt. Microphlebectomy results

I decided not to push my luck and ride this week.

This was my 8th and hopefully final procedure to deal with bad veins in my legs. Had this done Monday - still really swollen to about twice normal and painful. None of the rest have been like this. Dr warned me - he saved this for last, some very superficial/surface veins that he said were close to nerve endings, this one would hurt more. He was right .

More swollen, more painful but much less bruising than prior procedures - go figure. This is normal post-procedure stuff, just a little more significant than average.

I can't recall all of them, but I think it was 4 ablations and 4 microsurgeries. Done!

Anyone considering this for medical reasons - not fun but hardly the worst thing. But well worth it. I had veins bad enough some were ulcerated and bled. Good relief from that, pain, itching, swelling

Last edited by StanSeven; 07-28-17 at 06:22 AM.
DaveQ24 is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 07:34 AM
  #2  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
If bicycle and component manufacturers made replacement body parts, what would they be, and what would be their characteristics?
Carbon fiber with trendy paint and decals?
DaveQ24 is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 08:49 AM
  #3  
peterws
Senior Member
 
peterws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Near Lancaster
Posts: 420

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
You talkin' 'bout varicose veins, then? Surely it's an older cyclist's badge of honour. And if you're a New Zealander, you won't feel the pain . . . .(London Olympics, velodrome crash)
I told my granddaughters they were the latest tattoos . . . .
peterws is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 10:58 AM
  #4  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws View Post
You talkin' 'bout varicose veins, then? Surely it's an older cyclist's badge of honour. And if you're a New Zealander, you won't feel the pain . . . .(London Olympics, velodrome crash)
I told my granddaughters they were the latest tattoos . . . .
Only this very last procedure. Most of them, about 90%, were deeper veins, primarily the saphenous veins. I guess, technically, these all qualify as "varicose veins" because they are part of the "superficial" venous system, as opposed to the "deep" venous system ( iliac, femoral, popliteal, and tibial veins).

I guess you could consider it a "badge of honor" as long as it doesn't get the point an ulcerated vein bleeds and won't stop - not fun having to drain the blood out of your shoe every 20 minutes, which I've done at the ER/Urgent Care. This wasn't cosmetic - I posted this (there was originally a picture) to try to encourage people to consider this as a treatment option if it would help them.

For some unknown reason, I seem to have this desire to live, even when everything tells me otherwise. This is part of that.
DaveQ24 is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 12:17 PM
  #5  
doctor j
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 3,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveQ24 View Post
Only this very last procedure. Most of them, about 90%, were deeper veins, primarily the saphenous veins. I guess, technically, these all qualify as "varicose veins" because they are part of the "superficial" venous system, as opposed to the "deep" venous system ( iliac, femoral, popliteal, and tibial veins).

I guess you could consider it a "badge of honor" as long as it doesn't get the point an ulcerated vein bleeds and won't stop - not fun having to drain the blood out of your shoe every 20 minutes, which I've done at the ER/Urgent Care. This wasn't cosmetic - I posted this (there was originally a picture) to try to encourage people to consider this as a treatment option if it would help them.
I did not realize the vein thing could get that bad. Thanks for posting. Additional evidence that aging is not for the faint of heart.
doctor j is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 01:03 PM
  #6  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,863

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 588 Posts
feel better soon
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 02:26 PM
  #7  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,012

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24 View Post
I decided not to push my luck and ride this week.

This was my 8th and hopefully final procedure to deal with bad veins in my legs. Had this done Monday - still really swollen to about twice normal and painful. None of the rest have been like this. Dr warned me - he saved this for last, some very superficial/surface veins that he said were close to nerve endings, this one would hurt more. He was right .

More swollen, more painful but much less bruising than prior procedures - go figure. This is normal post-procedure stuff, just a little more significant than average.

I can't recall all of them, but I think it was 4 ablations and 4 microsurgeries. Done!

Anyone considering this for medical reasons - not fun but hardly the worst thing. But well worth it. I had veins bad enough some were ulcerated and bled. Good relief from that, pain, itching, swelling
I'm sorry, I accidentally posted something non-pertinent in your thread. I have deleted it. I meant to wish you a speedy recovery to good health, and the best of success with your final procedure. I am embarrassed and remorseful as it must have appeared I was trying to hijack your thread. And that certainly wasn't my intent. I simply had too many tabs open at once and started a new thread in the wrong box.

Again, I add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 05:13 PM
  #8  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I'm sorry, I accidentally posted something non-pertinent in your thread. I have deleted it. I meant to wish you a speedy recovery to good health, and the best of success with your final procedure. I am embarrassed and remorseful as it must have appeared I was trying to hijack your thread. And that certainly wasn't my intent. I simply had too many tabs open at once and started a new thread in the wrong box.

Again, I add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
De nada ... actually I thought it was a tangential, but interesting, question. The vascular system is (sort of) the equivalent of the cables - ok, well, no, the cables on a bike are the nerves that transmit messages from brain to the far ends of the beast.

Besides, without my semi-gory original photo of a purple, swollen back of my calf covered with little X-shaped incisions every inch, this is boring... the mods thought it too gory so zapped it. They really wouldn't like the photos I took of my bleed-out a few years ago.

Thanks for the good thoughts. It's better today than it was. I have an office job - moving it is the best thing for it, glad it's the weekend. I'm going to try to do 25-30 miles in the morning to losen it up.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 07-28-17 at 05:17 PM.
DaveQ24 is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 07:44 PM
  #9  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,012

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24 View Post
Besides, without my semi-gory original photo of a purple, swollen back of my calf covered with little X-shaped incisions every inch, this is boring...
No, not boring. The older I get, the more I relate to age-related illness and other conditions. After all, I do hang out in the "Fifty Plus Medical Issues" forum. Anyway, if you can joke about it as you have, that's good.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 07-29-17, 03:44 AM
  #10  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrineau Park, Florida
Posts: 12,749

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 127 Posts
Man, that just seems to be cringe worthy as I read your description of the procedure. Hopefully this will let the leg circulation return to normal. How in the world did you manage to ride with those conditions and the pain? Let me know how you are getting on.

Bill
__________________
Semper Fi, USMC, 1975-1977

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13


qcpmsame is offline  
Old 07-29-17, 07:37 PM
  #11  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,942

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24 View Post
I decided not to push my luck and ride this week.

This was my 8th and hopefully final procedure to deal with bad veins in my legs. Had this done Monday - still really swollen to about twice normal and painful. None of the rest have been like this. Dr warned me - he saved this for last, some very superficial/surface veins that he said were close to nerve endings, this one would hurt more. He was right .

More swollen, more painful but much less bruising than prior procedures - go figure. This is normal post-procedure stuff, just a little more significant than average.

I can't recall all of them, but I think it was 4 ablations and 4 microsurgeries. Done!

Anyone considering this for medical reasons - not fun but hardly the worst thing. But well worth it. I had veins bad enough some were ulcerated and bled. Good relief from that, pain, itching, swelling
Do you have any pics that you can share, as someone with bad varicose veins, I am curious to see what your veins look like.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 07-29-17, 08:57 PM
  #12  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Do you have any pics that you can share, as someone with bad varicose veins, I am curious to see what your veins look like.
Sure, but I will have to PM them - mods said photo was too graphic. I don't have a before/after unfortunately, but can send photos of post-surgical status - a lot of bruising, a little bleeding pretty swollen etc.

As long as you aren't bothered by slightly gory images. Let me know if you wsnt to see that.
DaveQ24 is offline  
Old 07-29-17, 09:51 PM
  #13  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,942

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24 View Post
Sure, but I will have to PM them - mods said photo was too graphic. I don't have a before/after unfortunately, but can send photos of post-surgical status - a lot of bruising, a little bleeding pretty swollen etc.

As long as you aren't bothered by slightly gory images. Let me know if you wsnt to see that.
Heh, the more gore, the better.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 07-30-17, 06:38 AM
  #14  
NewATBikeComute
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boston-ish
Posts: 220

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
...Additional evidence that aging is not for the faint of heart.
True.
NewATBikeComute is offline  
Old 07-30-17, 12:13 PM
  #15  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Heh, the more gore, the better.
Good, I have a couple of good ones. I'm really time-pressed today, tonight later I'll upload some to photobucket and provide a link. You will like my surgical bleed-out photos. I should have taken photos of my ulcerative bleed out didn't. I document medical stuff because I have an RN, a clinical microbiologist and a physical therapist in the immediate family.

In the interim, this medline article.

Venous Insufficiency: Background, Anatomy, Pathophysiology

About 75% of the way down the page is a " before and after" that is about what I experienced. I had a nasty cluster on my left knee like that guy's. I still have the brown stain from stasis dermatitis. Prior to the treatments, I had lost all of the hair below my knee - it grew back on the front of my legs from knee to ankle, albeit sparse compared to my teens/20s when it was pretty thick.

My life intent in posting this thread wasn't sympathy, it's a medical PSA. I've seen some guys at my gym with really severe stasis dermatisis and edema, tried to convince a couple to check it out but seemed too squeamish
DaveQ24 is offline  
Old 07-30-17, 08:20 PM
  #16  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, sorry but make that tomorrow on the photos to photobucket. Mr. Genius here still doesn't have the hang of something as simple as using a photo hosting site. For a guy with a net 10 years of college, I'm dumber than a box of rocks with some of this stuff. It's a miracle I can ride a bike and use Map My Ride at the same time. Must be bad blood.
DaveQ24 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
chip1
Road Cycling
30
08-05-14 02:24 PM
banerjek
Road Cycling
13
06-02-12 08:34 AM
MAK
Training & Nutrition
7
05-27-11 08:39 PM
JonnyUtah75
Road Cycling
49
08-22-10 05:12 AM
Mr. Beanz
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
75
06-11-10 11:38 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.