Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-17, 08:01 PM   #1
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX 3 Hybrid
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Riding and taking Statins for cholestrol

I'm 62 and was wondering if anyone has problems riding and taking Statins for Cholesterol? I'm in Houston Tx. and it's always hot here with 90%+ humidity. I generally never ride past 11:00am due to the heat. I ride 15 to 35 miles on average a lot. I started taking Lovastatin a few months ago and got an itchy rash on my legs after a month or so. Now I'm on Pravastatin and after about 2 weeks now, I'm starting to getting that itchy feeling on my legs a little. I'm wondering if the bike rides are causing this. I have no problems during my rides and don't have any problems breathing or anything. Yes the heat alone will wear you out but I don't ride extremely hard (13 to 14 mph) on average on my FX3 hybrid. So, I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems riding and being on statins?
Tommy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 08:18 PM   #2
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Just noticed another thread about this. I have not experienced any muscle pain or at least anything new.
Old 08-12-17, 08:31 PM   #3
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
It sounds like you're allergic to what you're taking. My mother and I both get blisters on our feet from statins. To keep the bike subject, cycling had no effect whatsoever on my cholesterol numbers.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 05:40 AM   #4
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
There are plenty of statin choices so talk to your doc and tell him/her about the itching.
Old 08-13-17, 06:16 AM   #5
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

I'll call the doctor tomorrow afternoon for I have jury duty in the morning. I'm thinking about talking to the pharmacist too today.
Old 08-13-17, 06:37 AM   #6
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
i was on atorvastatin, my lower left chest area hurt with a light nagging pain and my left elbow, since dropping the statin for a few weeks no more pains. i'm going to get a blood test soon to check my cholesterol.
rob214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 08:03 AM   #7
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

I have read at several places online that statins eliminate the benefits from cardio exercising. I having a hard time totaling believing all of this. Yes it might not help your cholesterol numbers but I would think that if you're getting your heart rate up and burning calories that this must be doing some good and help.
Old 08-13-17, 11:00 AM   #8
kbarj

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I am 61 and on the Crestor generic statin for cholesterol. I have found no issues with riding and taking the meds. I also believe that while statins are supposed to reduce the benefits of exercise (both aerobic and resistance training), there is still a positive benefit. I know my numbers improve when I put in serious training.
kbarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 02:33 PM   #9
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
I've had no problems with taking atorvastatin (aka Lipitor) and riding. I'm lucky, I guess, as some people have to wade through the statins to find one that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy1955 View Post
I have read at several places online that statins eliminate the benefits from cardio exercising. I having a hard time totaling believing all of this. Yes it might not help your cholesterol numbers but I would think that if you're getting your heart rate up and burning calories that this must be doing some good and help.
I'll toss the B.S. flag on this one. Why do they tell us in cardiac rehab to (a) take all medicines prescribed by the doctor, including statins, and (b) gradually increase the exercise time and effort? There's too many people out there making up $hit because they have a bee in their bonnet.
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 02:50 PM   #10
BobG

Bikes:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Statins totally destroyed my muscle tone. Kids started passing me on the sidewalk. I've had four heart attacks and have taken Zocor, Lipitor, Crestor and Pravachol. 15 years after stopping all statins I mysteriously tore a quad muscle/tendon after just a minor stumble. My theory is that the statins, even stopped, had done their permanent damage and pre-disposed me to future muscle problems. I bicycle toured extensively for over 45 years but I cannot do that any longer. I continue to cycle locally thanks to the help of an electric assist.

Last edited by BobG; 08-13-17 at 03:56 PM.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 04:49 PM   #11
ctpres 

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Statins in two of my meds. No problems. BUT as test for my 75th BD century I dropped both meds for two days. Second day fifty mile ride was much improved. Did same for the century. And I will do it again in two years.
Retired 78 YO. Got my sub 5 ET century at 50 and sub 7 RT at 75. Just want to finish sub 10 RT at 80. USNR, USAF, USCGA - riding 2014 Zenetto Stealth ZR7.1 Carbon on the road in flatland & 2017 Sundeal M7 for the mountains. Train HI - Creede Co in summer and ride low - Okeechobee, FL in winter. Life is good.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 05:12 PM   #12
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2005 Yeti AS-R, 2017 Motobecane Le Champion CF
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
I take a statin and the only thing it has done to me is take my cholesterol from 250 to 150.
MikeOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 09:46 PM   #13
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Bikes:
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Statins work great for some people, not so much for others. I fall into the later category. I've tried several statins and even the old standby atorvastatin brings my total and LDL down nicely. All goes well at first but over time (months for atorvastatin, weeks for Crestor) I develop muscle aches, a mild flu-like feeling, and cognitive problems (confusion and short-term memory decline). I even begin to struggle finding words during conversation. My previous doctor told me I was just getting old and it had nothing to do with the statins, but within a few weeks of stopping the statin the symptoms abate. I take several other meds and have nothing against statins, in fact, I wish I could take them, so I doubt any psychosomatic influence.

I have known many people who have no significant side effects and a few who developed severe muscle pain and one who had kidney injury from rhabdomylosis attributed to a combination of statins and endurance athletics.

OP, if you are developing unexplained itching while taking any medication, talk to your doctor. He/she may recommend a short vacation from the medication to see if the itching subsides.
Myosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 08:23 AM   #14
rideorfly

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I mentioned this in the other thread on this topic. If you take statins, talk to your doc about adding CoQ10 because statins can lower CoQ10 levels.
rideorfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 09:59 AM   #15
yannisg

Bikes:
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
How much statin are we talking about. My cardiologist suggested stating with a low dose of 10mg/day, and evaluate the result.
With this dose my LDL went from 150 to 90, and its been 90 with this dose for awhile.
I have no problems with this dose, no side effects, and can ride hard in the heat 38-40C.
I using the same name brand since I started.
A medical opinion that I have heard is that keeping total cholesterol and LDL low outweighs the minor side effects, but this is just an opinion, and obviously would depend on the side effects.
yannisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 12:01 PM   #16
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Bikes:
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
More proof that your response to statins may differ from mine, I guess:

I've been taking a statin for years (but for fewer years than I've been cycling). I've never felt any different. My problem was high LDL, and the statin has successfully addressed that problem.
JohnnyCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 02:07 PM   #17
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sixty four here, been taking statins ten years. Simvastatin prior 20mg, now atorvastatin 10mg. Havent noticed any issues with either, while cycling or hiking and climbing the high peaks.
Climb14er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 03:11 PM   #18
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy1955 View Post
I'm 62 and was wondering if anyone has problems riding and taking Statins for Cholesterol? I'm in Houston Tx. and it's always hot here with 90%+ humidity. I generally never ride past 11:00am due to the heat. I ride 15 to 35 miles on average a lot. I started taking Lovastatin a few months ago and got an itchy rash on my legs after a month or so. Now I'm on Pravastatin and after about 2 weeks now, I'm starting to getting that itchy feeling on my legs a little. I'm wondering if the bike rides are causing this. I have no problems during my rides and don't have any problems breathing or anything. Yes the heat alone will wear you out but I don't ride extremely hard (13 to 14 mph) on average on my FX3 hybrid. So, I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems riding and being on statins?
just quit taking them for a little while and see if the rash goes away.
coffeesnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 09:02 AM   #19
FBOATSB 

Bikes: "electro forged"
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
I'll just throw this in here....

The Cholesterol Myth Has Been Busted Yet Again
FBOATSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 09:29 AM   #20
bowzette

Bikes:
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist View Post
More proof that your response to statins may differ from mine, I guess:

I've been taking a statin for years (but for fewer years than I've been cycling). I've never felt any different. My problem was high LDL, and the statin has successfully addressed that problem.
My experience as well.
bowzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 12:40 PM   #21
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Im 78 and have been taking Lipitor for about 18 years now with no problems at all. My C# is alway right at 125.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 05:53 AM   #22
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
60yo. Vytorin 10/20 here. No known issues, although I have had some sun reactions from time to time that may or may not be linked.
Stormsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:20 AM   #23
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous gravel/adventure/whatever bike
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBOATSB View Post
I'll just throw this in here....

The Cholesterol Myth Has Been Busted Yet Again
We consume too much fat, period