Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Avg speed or miles?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Avg speed or miles?

Old 09-06-17, 06:24 PM

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gave up on obsessing with all those numbers a couple years ago.

Avg speed or miles? Neither.

Time? Yes, 1 to 3 hours per ride.
Old 09-06-17, 07:48 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Miles (kms really) for me. My goal is at least 1000kms a month, all included - commuting, road, MTB on dirt roads. Success this year so far.
Old 09-06-17, 08:23 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry221
Usually have chicken with salad at 12. Fruit and water mid afternoon. Coffee. Then a bowl of cereal before I go out.
Be careful with those bowls of cereal.

When I started with My Fitness Pal, and began weighing my food, cereal was a huge eye-opener.

The package says that 1 serving is a reasonable amount of calories. But most cereals indicate in the small print that 1 serving is 45 grams.

45 grams of cereal is a light dusting in the bottom of the bowl ... hardly even worth the effort of getting the box out of the cupboard.

My bowls of cereal probably run about 4 times that much ... and thus that reasonable amount of calories for one serving is multiplied by about 4 and is no longer a reasonable amount.

I quit eating cereal ... it just wasn't worth it.
Old 09-06-17, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I track average speed, but live in a hilly area so have to suffer the lower numbers

when climbing a lot.

In descending order of caring:

- mileage
- average moving speed
- vertical ft climbed
- (low) stoppage time
- hard-coreness ie mixed offroad or harsh conditions

I totally admire the commuters & those getting out multiple times during the week, but am mainly a weekend warrior.

Sounds like you're doing good- keep up the fun!
Old 09-06-17, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Kona ESATTO DDL Cinelli Zydeco

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to track both just to see how I do. I use ride with gps I am sort of a gadget geek.
Old 09-06-17, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gerry221
Forgive me if there is already a post regarding this topic.

I have recently began cycling, at the tender age of 51. I am very overweight and unfit, but getting better!

Was just wondering what you guys think and what it is that you "chase"?

When you go out, do you focus on getting the miles in or is it more about getting your avg speed up?

I must admit, when I started 2 months ago, I was all about just getting my miles up. Now, I find myself chasing avg speed. If I am out and I do not get 15mph I am not too happy, even if I have done 20 miles....

Thoughts?
I'll tell you what I don't "chase". I don't chase miles. I don't chase avg speed. I don't come home after a joyous ride and say "I am not too happy" because I didn't achieve some pre-defined metric.

What I "chase" is the unfolding of a new route, the beauty of the clouds, spotting some wildlife, passing by a lake or riding along a river or, perhaps most importantly, riding with some great people. I "chase" my well-tuned bike that allows me to ride comfortably in any terrain. I "chase" building a good rapport with drivers that pass me on the road. I "chase" what I call the "bicycle buzz" I feel after almost every ride. I "chase" loving cycling so much that it has become a very major part of my life.

Metrics, yeah, fine. There's nothing wrong with them as a measure. When they become the focus of your rides, however, I think you're really missing something. The focus of your rides should be the sheer enjoyment of cycling and the rich tapestry of benefits it offers. Metrics, by comparison, are tiny, unimportant things.

Last edited by welshTerrier2; 09-06-17 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,994 Times in 4,454 Posts
Almost all of my rides are club rides, about 100 club rides per year. I've been a member for 28 years, so while I was once in the younger group, now... I'm not.
I like to hit 6000 miles per year these days but I don't really keep track of anything.
My main goal is to just be able to keep doing the rides but it's getting harder, working too much, getting older, etc.

I'd like to not be wiped out after a 6 hour ride, but that's become the new normal.
Old 09-07-17, 04:01 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Smiles and hours (time).
Old 09-07-17, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Thoughts?
As my user name suggests, I am a recreational rider. My rides average anywhere from 12 to 18 miles (usually) on up to about 25 miles (occasionally). My average speed is usually right around 11 mph or so. Sometimes it may be a little slower or faster, depending on where I'm riding and/or traffic conditions (I'm a little faster if on MUPs and a little slower if on streets with traffic).

I've often posted that I'm "slower than a turtle stampeding thru peanut butter." I've had friends tell me I need to work on my speed so I'll be able to join them on their group rides. I tell them I prefer to ride alone, and that I'm happy with the speed at which I ride.

Old 09-07-17, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Average speed doesn't mean much unless all of your riding is either flat or on a given course.

For instance, I could do roughly the same ride, except for which road I take, to the river and back. One route has 500 feet of climbing, the other has 2,000 feet. It's more work to average 12 mph on the second route than 15 mph on the first.

That said, they're both 32-34 miles. I track miles because it's simpler. You could track any number of things -- speed, distance, climbs, average or maximum heart rate, etc., etc. But make sure you're having fun, or you won't want to ride.
+1
Old 09-07-17, 05:56 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Average speed is for average people.

I document distance, both as a way of keeping track of maintenance needs on my bikes, and also so I can participate in the annual year-end pissing match thread over in the 41.
You don't need to ride fast to do that. Everyone is fast on the Internet.
Old 09-07-17, 07:43 AM
R*dRid*r

Bikes: 1993 Diamondback Ascent EX black 22.5", 2018 Trek FX 3 Red 25"

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
I'll tell you what I don't "chase". I don't chase miles. I don't chase avg speed. I don't come home after a joyous ride and say "I am not too happy" because I didn't achieve some pre-defined metric.

What I "chase" is the unfolding of a new route, the beauty of the clouds, spotting some wildlife, passing by a lake or riding along a river or, perhaps most importantly, riding with some great people. I "chase" my well-tuned bike that allows me to ride comfortably in any terrain. I "chase" building a good rapport with drivers that pass me on the road. I "chase" what I call the "bicycle buzz" I feel after almost every ride. I "chase" loving cycling so much that it has become a very major part of my life.

Metrics, yeah, fine. There's nothing wrong with them as a measure. When they become the focus of your rides, however, I think you're really missing something. The focus of your rides should be the sheer enjoyment of cycling and the rich tapestry of benefits it offers. Metrics, by comparison, are tiny, unimportant things.

Ohhhh, yah! This is what I'm talking about...thanks for putting into words better than I did...
Old 09-07-17, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I am definitely interested in miles then speed. That being said I love the short(1hr) early ride before work in the summer. Looking at the beginning of the day and watching the early morning activity of the baby rabbits and alas the hawks flying thru the sky is a wonderful way to start the day.
Old 09-07-17, 08:53 AM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I think you're really missing something. The focus of your rides should be the sheer enjoyment of cycling and the rich tapestry of benefits it offers. Metrics, by comparison, are tiny, unimportant things.
Thanks for letting me know what I "should be" doing on my rides, what I've been "missing" for decades and how "unimportant" the metrics that guide my riding schedule are.

Did you know that a well structured cycling program provides plenty of base miles and recovery rides to spin along at a conversational pace and peruse what one will as well as the HIIT efforts that build the power and speed to challenge difficult terrain at pace? It's the simple hard work that gets one up and over the tapestry of steep terrain in the heat all day long.
Joy and/or happiness intervals can be scheduled for rest days if one is so inclined.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 09-08-17 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 09:04 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I've learned anything from a few years on BF, it's this:

"I ride for the sheer joy of riding, and will not be encumbered by data or gadgets," with almost certainty is a paraphrase of "I average 11-13mph, and cannot ride more than 30 miles in one sitting."

The difference in the wording is that the first is preachy bullcrap, and the second is perfectly acceptable honesty. I appreciate the beauty of nature (when I can find it) as much as the next guy, but the notion that I am rendered incapable of doing so because I have a power meter and ride over 17mph is just stupid.
Old 09-07-17, 03:40 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I enjoy all that life's rich tapestry stuff too. There are lots of rides where I just ride and don't pay attention to the phone or cycling apps.

I enjoy those more now because of the hard work that went into conditioning so I'm not gasping for breath in panic mode trying to sprint-climb after a traffic light inconveniently placed in the middle of a damn hill. I'm less likely to collapse like a tub of jello on the roadside halfway into a one mile 1% grade. I can spend more time riding at a comfortable pace rather than wheezing out huffs from an inhaler every five miles.

Can't say I really enjoy the often painful work that went into getting back into shape. Can't even say my priority is chasing goals for the sake of accomplishing them, although it does motivate me.

Mostly the hard work makes those casual, leisurely rides more enjoyable.

My goal is to finish a century looking like Pee Wee Herman, feet up on the bars humming La-la-la!

Old 09-07-17, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Did a ITT/FTP test/Strava hunt this morning on an out-and-back route I do several times a week. I normally train by wattage but decided to go on speed and RPE instead. So I guess I was a slave to average speed for once.
Old 09-07-17, 04:57 PM
Real Men Don't Coast

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Roubaix SL-2012 Motobecane Track in Yellow-1984 Fuji Absolute

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My $0.02 worth
I mix it up. I first, like you, went for distance. My initial goal was 12 miles. Not very far. I then got bored and kept it at 12 miles and upped my speed to 17 mph up and down hill. Then I decided to increase my distance and got it to 20 miles. My speed dropped as would be expected. I worked on getting my speed back up, then increased my distance. I am currently very happy riding 30 miles with an average speed of 15 mph. Not a rocket pace, however it works for me. After a while I got bored with the Fuji and bought a cheap Track Bike with single fixed gear and started all over again.
The take away here is, do what works for you.
George
Old 09-07-17, 08:28 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Did you know that people can BOTH enjoy cycling AND keep track of the metrics of cycling?
Old 09-07-17, 09:49 PM

Bikes: Kona ESATTO DDL Cinelli Zydeco

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said earlier I keep track of both and enjoy my rides. I don't get why some here look down on a guy that wants to track either, as long as long as you are enjoying the ride what's it matter? No matter the speed I ride or the miles I go I still enjoy the smells, sights and the joy of being able to ride.
Old 09-07-17, 11:26 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Did you know that people can BOTH enjoy cycling AND keep track of the metrics of cycling?
Old 09-08-17, 05:08 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeromeoneil
I wish there was a computer that would report the median value of all the speed samples it takes. That would be much more useful and meaningful I think. It would still give me an idea of how fast I'm going but eliminate the outliers when I'm stopped or taking advantage of gravity.
Like this?
Attached Images
Old 09-08-17, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tass, Trek Crossrip 3, Miscellaneous Trek frames

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
Like this?
I think that is a more useful report, for sure. That is essentially a histogram, which is a pretty handy plot.
Old 09-08-17, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
The Princess Bride. One of my all time favorite movies.
Old 09-09-17, 10:30 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Everyone is fast on the Internet.
Not with my ISP!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.