Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting a bike to Paris from California for tour

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting a bike to Paris from California for tour

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 02:14 PM

Bikes: A matte black bike, a matte black/gloss silver bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I'm puzzled by the "no charge" Lufthansa claim in the post above. Two years ago they charged me 100 euros returning from Italy.
"Note this is not their official policy."

As noted above, it really depends upon the ticket agent that checks you in.

For example, SAS did not charge me returning from Trondheim and Oslo but I was charged by United in SF on the outbound legs.
Old 09-30-17, 10:43 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks to all for the great advice.
Right now I'm thinking to buy a ShipBikes.com box. It's cardboard-ish, but made to do the job. Maybe I'll buy the wheel kit as well.
Another option is borrowing a case. I've had a few offers and need to check them out.

I HAVE to take my own bike. I have physical issues that mean the brakes and shifting are set up in a way no rental could match. Plus, if I'm riding a metric century, over mountains, every day for two weeks I want MY bike. It'll be hard enough with that.

Thanks again, all.
Old 10-08-17, 03:30 PM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm also planning a trip next year and thinking about taking my own bike. I have rented before with mixed results, although I have some confidence that the tour I'm doing will have decent bikes. Still, for a week of riding, I would rather have my own bike but I don't want to be dragging a large hard case or box around in the days before and after the tour when we plan to do some other activities. So, I am considering a soft-sided case. Three are on my short list and each of these has been recommended by multiple folks who travel often with their bikes and report they have had no damage issues. The ones on my list are:

Pika Packworks Pika Packworks | Bicycle Travel Cases and Bike Luggage

Gavilan BFF Featured Products

Orucase https://orucase.com

There may be others that I have not considered, but the above 3 are well-recommended and I am thinking hard about it depending on which Airline we take and their fees or not...
Old 10-18-17, 07:48 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
OP here.
After endless reading, and getting advice here, (and other forums) here's my plan. YMMV

Flying United (I know,
. Click for a great song...) because that's who flies nonstop from SF.

I'm using a borrowed Evoc case, and buying another for my wife. Expensive, but oh well. I can sell it later.

My friends have had very good luck with it. It's soft, but super padded. Their theory is that a hard case gets treated as indestructible, a soft case gets slightly more gentle treatment.

This case also seems like it's easier to move around and easier to store, which is a big plus.

So, plane tickets, check. Bike bags, check, trip deposit, check. Needed: insurance, lodging reservations. It's looking good.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT.