Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-16-17, 06:55 PM   #76
Bikes: 1986 , 87 , 88 , 89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
I don't exercise to add years to my life, but to add life to my years.
BTW I plan on living forever, so far, so good.
texaspandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 06:23 AM   #77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't read the full article but I know that extreme endurance athletes have heart issues - I'm talking about marathoners, and century racers, or those in Ultra class that double the distance - and specifically race-level efforts for those distances.

My best friend is a cardiologist and I've had numerous discussion about exercise and its effect on the heart and he told me that 'normal' cardio exercise - even walking - is beneficial. It's when things are taken to the extreme that the health benefits start reversing. The question is - what is extreme?

I've been a weightlifter all my life and have some left ventricle refraction issues - which 30 years ago would have been diagnosed as a disease - but my cardiologist friend tells me it's a normal response to lifting weights and all such athletes have it - and it's now considered normal. And I push myself very hard - as I did even in my 20s - I only use lower weight now.

Regarding Jim Fixx - he was a smoker all his life until taking up running and had a family history of heart disease (his brother and father died in their early 40's). Again - my cardiologist pal said that genetics trumps everything when it comes to the heart. He recommends a Calcium Stress Test - this is a non-invasive heart scan where they look to see how much calcification there is in the major arteries - from there, they can predict the blockage. normal stress tests don't find anything until there is a major problem already. For this other reasons, he and many other doctors I've spoken to, recommend a low-dose statin (even if your cholesterol is normal). the reason is this helps prevent plaque in the first place as well as lower overall inflammation - which is how plaque forms.

I recall in Leanard Zinn's book I read about cycling over 50 - he made the comment that he didn't think he or several of his friends (who were in there 70's to 80s at that time) would have even been alive had it not been for high-intensity cycling. A very strong statement indeed but it resonated with me - since I pretty much only do HIT intervals now - unless I'm joyriding with my wife. (I'm 50)

One last point - one of my neighbors is 82 and rides consistently 20-30 miles per day when the weather permits. he credits his long life and generally good physical condition to cycling- (I mean this guy still shovels snow like he's in his 30s). I hope that I can do the same in 32 years.
ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 05:24 AM   #78
Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I have heard a whole bunch of drummer put-down jokes .... that one is new. Thank you.

If you ever get to work with a really good drummer, it's like, the whole band suddenly become stars . . . .trouble is they won't play with anybody; they'd rather not work at all than do that!
peterws is offline   Reply With Quote