Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-17, 04:00 PM   #26
ericy
Seņor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
As I get older and coming back in the spring gets harder every year, a Kickr Snap powertrainer and a Zwift account is starting to look pretty good. I'm in the same boat, though... $600? Wife thinks I should just ride outside when it's 10F and dark. Or take her method: lie on the couch all winter watching movies.
My wife plays tennis during the winter, and she is supportive of me riding.

I guess the other way of looking at it is that a gym membership usually costs 60$/month (depending on the gym it can be even more), so that 600$ disappears in a hurry. Having your workout machine right in the house is a bonus - no time wasted getting to/from the gym.

There are always craigslist and ebay - people upgrading to something else will sell the older ones at a discount.

And I should mention that sometimes Wahoo has refurbished units for sale for 499$:

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...ap-refurbished

They are out of stock right this minute. But as long as the REI 20% discount is available, that's even better.
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 08:22 PM   #27
Tigereye2

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did this today(Clever Training VIP) and ordered a Kickr Snap. Saved $120 and it shipped today.
Tigereye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 12:12 PM   #28
Hunterdog

Bikes:
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
We went to REI. I made the mistake of bringing my wife, who proceeded to veto my new toy purchase.

The five year extended bike tour is looking more realistic by the hour.
"it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission!"
Hunterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 03:21 PM   #29
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Just yesterday I bought a Kickr Snap. Did my first workout with it this morning. Yeah ... wow! After years of using the Blackburn trainer this one feels so much better!

I'm using my Elemnt Bolt to control and monitor it, and I was very happy with how easily everything integrated. Then I tried to use the Wahoo fitness app and it would not pair with the Snap. I suspect that's because the Bolt had already paired up with it. So I'm still trying to figure out how to use it with other apps while still having the Bolt show details.

I'm looking for a good way to put together simple workouts and run them or upload them to the Elemnt Bolt. I tried the fitness app but couldn't get it to work. Everything else I've looked at requires a monthly fee. If I'm going to pay something $10/month for the privilege of putting together workouts then I'm just going to sign up for Zwift. Surely there's something a little lighter weight that would just let me put together my own workout?
wnl256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 04:30 PM   #30
ericy
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl256 View Post
Then I tried to use the Wahoo fitness app and it would not pair with the Snap. I suspect that's because the Bolt had already paired up with it.
I am only able to connect one BT thing to the Kickr at a time. This seems to be a limitation for many of their products.
Old 11-14-17, 06:43 PM   #31
wgscott

Bikes: Steel
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
veto ? so she cancelled it???
Yup.

She pointed out I had just purchased a Kurt Kinetic (dumb) trainer only 4.5 years ago, and that I don't use it enough to warrant an upgrade. (I sort of agree, but it is kind of like realizing you are too fat, vs. having your wife tell you.)
wgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 06:44 PM   #32
wgscott

Bikes: Steel
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdog View Post
"it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission!"
Some days I think it would be easiest and most cost-effective to ask for a divorce.
wgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 07:47 PM   #33
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
I just ordered a Kickr Snap from REI (thanks for the heads-up on the sale) but couldn't find the dongle in their catalog. Who carries those?
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 03:13 AM   #34
PaddleFoot

Bikes: Schwinn World,Cannondale Mtn bikes, Cannondale Black Lightning, Electra Loft, Kona Sutra, Kona Wheelhouse
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I ordered my Ant + dongle from Wahoo. It arrives today and I look forward to it.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...es/usb-ant-kit

Last edited by PaddleFoot; 11-15-17 at 03:17 AM.
PaddleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 10:56 AM   #35
ericy
Seņor Member

I just got an email that Wahoo is having a sale on reconditioned units. The 2014 Kickr for $549. The 2016 Kickr for $649. And a reconditioned Snap for $399.
Old 11-18-17, 12:22 PM   #36
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericy View Post
I am only able to connect one BT thing to the Kickr at a time. This seems to be a limitation for many of their products.
That seems to be the case. Today I plugged in the Kickr while the Bolt was off and I was able to pair it with the fitness app. But I have to say that the app was pretty underwhelming, other than giving me the ability to upgrade the firmware. I can replay routes on the Bolt. The grades aren't nearly as fine grained as reality, but it gives me the variety I was looking for. It's good enough for now. I will probably look at Zwift in the near future.
wnl256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 01:10 PM   #37
ericy
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl256 View Post
But I have to say that the app was pretty underwhelming, other than giving me the ability to upgrade the firmware..
That and do a spindown once in a while for calibration.

I went the same route when I got the Kickr - first get it hooked up to the bike and work out a few gremlins (using the Bolt). Then switch to Zwift once I had an ANT dongle.

Zwift just bumped the price to 15$/month. Those already signed up are grandfathered at the old price for a year.
Old 11-20-17, 09:56 PM   #38
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quick question. I was wondering if the Kicker simulates downhills and has roadfeel. I know the Tacx Neo has both of those features does the Kicker have them as well?
Thanks
TCR Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 05:04 AM   #39
PaddleFoot

Bikes: Schwinn World,Cannondale Mtn bikes, Cannondale Black Lightning, Electra Loft, Kona Sutra, Kona Wheelhouse
It just gets a little easier when going downhill. Road feel? Just a catch phrase. It does get a little harder on cobblestone and dirt roads. A tactile transducer would simulate road vibrations to the entire bike and I may do it as I have a couple laying around here (yes, I am into simulators).

I can say that the KickR feels much better than the wheel-on dumb trainer I once owned. I am very glad I bought it.
Old 11-21-17, 05:58 AM   #40
ericy
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR Rider View Post
Quick question. I was wondering if the Kicker simulates downhills and has roadfeel. I know the Tacx Neo has both of those features does the Kicker have them as well?
Thanks
The Tacx roadfeel is something they simulate by rapidly changing the setting for the brake - thus the "feel" all comes through the chain. If you weren't pedaling, you wouldn't feel it. Kickr doesn't really have something like that.

Regarding downhills, I am not familiar with the Tacx approach, but when going downhill with the Kickr you can almost coast down the hill. If you stop pedaling, it will gradually coast to a stop - you need to keep pedaling and supply a minimal number of watts to keep going, although it sort of seems like with steeper hills even this isn't needed.
Old 11-25-17, 05:09 AM   #41
PaddleFoot

I've seen people coast whole downhill's and do it repeatedly. Looks like some kind of cheat... I'd rather keep pedaling. (exactly what the sig is about)

N+1 includes a KickR if you live with winter months (IMHO). I love it more each day and I ride the same miles I rode in the summer months.

Oh, per road feel, there is one section in the Zwift Watopia Flat Route where there is a dip during a turn. it happens pretty fast and it can send my stomach to the roof (I use first-person view). I swear I can feel it even if I close my eyes. That is a pretty good simulator.

Last edited by PaddleFoot; 11-25-17 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-25-17, 07:23 AM   #42
ericy
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleFoot View Post
Oh, per road feel, there is one section in the Zwift Watopia Flat Route where there is a dip during a turn. it happens pretty fast and it can send my stomach to the roof (I use first-person view). I swear I can feel it even if I close my eyes. That is a pretty good simulator.
In the long term, it seems like some sort of VR glasses would be the way to go. You wouldn't want the VR goggles - when you start to sweat they would get to be a total mess. I don't know of anything on the market today that would do the trick, and I gather from DCRainmaker that Zwift has experimented with this sort of thing, but they haven't found something that they think would really work at a price point that a lot of people could tolerate.

When I am in Zwift I can ride hills that we simply don't have anywhere near to where I live. In the summer months we are frequently out at the ocean where it is as flat as a pancake, but even at home the hills are a maximum of about 50 foot climbs. In previous years even those climbs seemed like epic climbs when I got out in the spring - my goal is to get to the spring and be able to climb those without it being any kind of a big deal. Assuming of course that I am not so hooked on virtual cycling that I never get the bike out on the road .

The other day I started out on the Epic KOM route - I didn't expect to complete a lap, but I couldn't get the U-turn thing to work when I had done all climbing I felt like doing for the day. I didn't know what the problem was at the time, and had to end the ride prematurely. I later figured out that you apparently need to have your speed between 3-15mph for it to work which can be tough when you are on a really steep grade and your legs are getting really tired . But if I had known that at the time, I could have probably gotten it to work.
Old 11-25-17, 10:18 AM   #43
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
I traded in my Rock & Roll fluid for a Tacx Neo about a year ago and haven't looked back. It's been my salvation these days as I recover from a knee replacement. I've been able to get back to a much higher level of riding than I would be otherwise.
Before the surgery I used Trainer Road for structured training and Zwift for fun. I could actually ride outside but truth be told I'm enjoying my progress on Zwift so what's the rush. I'll get out there eventually.
TCR Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-17, 09:39 AM   #44
zacster

Bikes:
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
One thing I've found with pairing is that it works best once on the trainer with everything active. Trying to do it before you get on just never worked for me even after waking up my devices. Also, to get multiple devices to connect use ANT+. BT doesn't connect to more than one at a time. And if you use multiple apps on your computer you may need to disconnect the ANT+ dongle from the USB and reinsert it and make sure the app you are using then grabs the device since the app may be exclusively using the USB port. Exclusive use on the computer will not impact ANT+ on other devices, so your Bolt or whatever should still also see the sensor or trainer.

I wish I had the smart trainer although virtual power is much better than just riding along as I used to on my Fluid 2. At least I have some measurement.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote