Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   My Birthday, my Ride. How about you? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1128460-my-birthday-my-ride-how-about-you.html)

gif4445 11-19-17 05:06 AM

My Birthday, my Ride. How about you?

I turned the big 60 a few weeks ago. But, as a farmer still working on harvest, I had to wait a while to get it in. Finally 10 days later, it's in the books. Don't know if there is a statute of limitations, but don't care. A few years ago, I decided to turn my birthday ride into a present of sorts. To me, along with being a benchmark, it should also be a gift to myself. So sometime close to my birthday, I put my finger up in the air, acknowledge the movement of air in the windy state of Nebraska, and ride with the wind at my back. Then the wife and I meet at the end town and enjoy a night away. Visit a winery, see a movie and what have you. Happy Birthday to me! I would probably be a little ashamed if my year was comprised of shorter rides, but with 7 centuries under my belt this year, I rode guilt free. I think the bottom line significance of this event as we age, is to keep moving. And the birthday ride is the evidence. I know there is a number out there that will be unattainable, for whatever reason. Illness, injury or death. But for now, I'm still rolling! Anybody else roll along the same lines?

GadgetGirlIL 11-19-17 06:26 AM

Love this! And yes, I also started the birthday ride challenge in 2014 of riding at least my age in miles. I'm currently 56. I figure at some point I may need to downgrade that to km, and then maybe yards ;-) But for now, it is an annual celebration of my health and fitness. I spent way too much of my life obese, at one point weighing 135 pounds more than I do now (been at a normal weight since 2012). I'm determined not to end up like my mother who was essentially disabled by her obesity and died when she was 75.

1989Pre 11-19-17 07:22 AM

I turned 60 three weeks ago, too, but when the air gets cool around here, I limit my rides to 30 miles. It's good to hear there are other B.F. members into gardening/farming. I still have carrots to pull. Happy birthday, gif!

Dan Burkhart 11-19-17 07:48 AM

Happy belated birthday, and well done on the ride. I've been keeping the tradition alive for the last several years, but this year, (birthday a week ago yesterday) I finally conceded that this time of year, with cold short days, I can justify one km per year, so that's what I did.

Deal4Fuji 11-19-17 09:09 PM

I'm right there with you Scorpios...60 on Nov 4th

gif4445 11-19-17 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL (Post 20002202)
Love this! And yes, I also started the birthday ride challenge in 2014 of riding at least my age in miles. I'm currently 56. I figure at some point I may need to downgrade that to km, and then maybe yards ;-) But for now, it is an annual celebration of my health and fitness. I spent way too much of my life obese, at one point weighing 135 pounds more than I do now (been at a normal weight since 2012). I'm determined not to end up like my mother who was essentially disabled by her obesity and died when she was 75.

Way to go girl! Your story hits pretty close to home. Just lost an older sister, who's story sounds like your mother. She was 75. Buried one of her sons a couple years ago. He was only 47. And like you probably know, age at time of death is only part of the story. My nephew's last 15 years were not very enjoyable. Sad, sad, sad. But motivation for whoever chooses to use it.

gif4445 11-19-17 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1989Pre (Post 20002244)
I turned 60 three weeks ago, too, but when the air gets cool around here, I limit my rides to 30 miles. It's good to hear there are other B.F. members into gardening/farming. I still have carrots to pull. Happy birthday, gif!

Thanks! Up till this year, I had only found a couple fellow farmers who were into cycling. Makes a little sense. Not too much extra time during the warm parts of the year. But this summer I managed to meet and ride with a few more. Mostly around my age, slowing down and handing off some of the day to day stuff to their sons and such. Hope you get those carrots in before the snow flies!

B. Carfree 11-20-17 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by gif4445 (Post 20002155)
I turned the big 60 a few weeks ago. But, as a farmer still working on harvest, I had to wait a while to get it in. Finally 10 days later, it's in the books. Don't know if there is a statute of limitations, but don't care. A few years ago, I decided to turn my birthday ride into a present of sorts. To me, along with being a benchmark, it should also be a gift to myself. So sometime close to my birthday, I put my finger up in the air, acknowledge the movement of air in the windy state of Nebraska, and ride with the wind at my back. Then the wife and I meet at the end town and enjoy a night away. Visit a winery, see a movie and what have you. Happy Birthday to me! I would probably be a little ashamed if my year was comprised of shorter rides, but with 7 centuries under my belt this year, I rode guilt free. I think the bottom line significance of this event as we age, is to keep moving. And the birthday ride is the evidence. I know there is a number out there that will be unattainable, for whatever reason. Illness, injury or death. But for now, I'm still rolling! Anybody else roll along the same lines?

Sounds like fun rides/events. I think the only limitation on birthday rides is that you have to get them all in before you pass on. Since it gets harder as the years add up, it's a good idea to get on with them during the year they happen.

I like your idea of rolling with the wind. I spent twenty years with a commute that was into the wind both ways. (Fortunately it wasn't uphill both ways like when I was a child.:lol:) Nowadays, I often take advantage or our hills/mountains to create loops that are tailwinds all the way around, or nearly so. I always chuckle a bit when I see riders doing them in the opposite direction, but maybe they are just trying to get stronger faster.

PaddleFoot 11-20-17 05:10 AM

Congratulations on your ride! There is only one day a year when it counts and that is what makes it hard to do. Maybe next year you can do it. I know I missed mine too.

Flip Flop Rider 11-20-17 08:56 AM

bike riding farmer sounds really cool

rumrunn6 11-20-17 09:08 AM

I like the way you combined it with time with your Wife!

used to take my birthdays off, don't know what happened to that :foo: this spring it will be a Friday, maybe if the weather is nice ...

canklecat 11-20-17 12:45 PM

Planned on a solo century to coincide with my 60th (today). Tried Sunday but had to bail out after 27 miles -- back and neck spasms, chronic problem from car wreck injuries. Happens whenever there's a sudden shift in weather and barometric pressure.

I have ridden a few metric centuries this year, including consecutive weekends in preparation for the full 100 miles. It's doable. I'll need to stop more often to stretch, especially after 50 miles in.

On the plus side the prep conditioning has paid off. I'm faster on some tricky segments that used to thwart me, and without feeling like I'm overexerting myself.

I'll try again later this week or this coming weekend. Close enough. I'll pick a day without too much wind.

Ogsarg 11-20-17 01:23 PM

Congrats on the ride and birthday. I've only been riding a bit less than 2 years and not as serious as many. I did ride my age(plus a few) around my 61st birthday in late July, which was my longest ride at the time. Assuming I keep riding regularly, I figure I can keep it up for a number of years. For me, enjoying my time on the bike is more important than how many miles I put in. As long as I'm having a good time, I'll keep doing it.

OldTryGuy 11-20-17 03:21 PM

Your birthday celebratory ride and following events is a GREAT IDEA!!! Interesting motivational idea for others to ride their age if able.

Originally Posted by PaddleFoot (Post 20003911)
Congratulations on your ride! There is only one day a year when it counts and that is what makes it hard to do. Maybe next year you can do it. I know I missed mine too.

IMO, if one heads out for a ride deemed as a "birthday ride" and achieves the distance required then it counts. ;)

Knowing that the future will bring reduced birthday ride distances as I age, I currently make my ride just a bit extra challenging. I prefer to at least double my age.

gif4445 11-22-17 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 20004169)
bike riding farmer sounds really cool

Ha, I'm definitely in the minority among my fellow farmers. They look a little sideways at the spandex! But it has it's advantages. I once bought a combine (grain harvester) and had go 50 miles to pick it up. You guessed it, rode there on the bike, attached it to the machine and drove the thing home.

gif4445 11-22-17 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20004199)
I like the way you combined it with time with your Wife!

used to take my birthdays off, don't know what happened to that :foo: this spring it will be a Friday, maybe if the weather is nice ...

Thanks! She does a little cycling, but not over 10 miles in a ride. Not surprisingly as I have rode to places like the Black Hills, Yellowstone and Glacier NP, she has gotten pretty jealous. So I'm trying to make more of an effort to include her as much as possible. That gal and this marriage are more important than my bicycle addiction.

rumrunn6 11-22-17 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by gif4445 (Post 20009263)
That gal and this marriage are more important than my bicycle addiction.

:thumb: good for you (both)

NTX_Cycler 11-22-17 10:35 AM

I had hoped to do a half century (to commemorate my 50th birthday this Saturday), but alas still waiting to pick up my bike. Specialized is supposed to release the size 49 of the bike that I want probably next week. As soon as it is available (and the funds are made available by my bonus), then I will get the bike and do my ride.

Dan Burkhart 11-22-17 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by gif4445 (Post 20009244)
Ha, I'm definitely in the minority among my fellow farmers. They look a little sideways at the spandex! But it has it's advantages. I once bought a combine (grain harvester) and had go 50 miles to pick it up. You guessed it, rode there on the bike, attached it to the machine and drove the thing home.

Tell us you drove it home with the header on and I will be doubly impressed.:thumb:

gif4445 11-22-17 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 20009349)
Tell us you drove it home with the header on and I will be doubly impressed.:thumb:

You have some further knowledge I can see! Nope, bought it w/o the head.

Slick Madone 11-22-17 10:53 AM

Congrats on the birthday and the ride.

Rick@OCRR 11-22-17 10:59 AM

Congratulations on your Birthday Ride! I try to do the same every year (late March) but several years ago (when I was 63) the Spring Solvang Double Century was held on my birthday, so I got 200 mi. on the bike that day!

Does that mean I'll live to be 200? Not a chance!

This year I'm 67 and only got in four double centuries but hoping to get in five or six doubles in 2018.

Rick / OCRR

Lazyass 11-22-17 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by NTX_Cycler (Post 20009342)
I had hoped to do a half century (to commemorate my 50th birthday this Saturday), but alas still waiting to pick up my bike.

I also turn 50 Saturday and I'm doing 50 miles in the morning on my '84 Univega.

gif4445 11-23-17 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ogsarg (Post 20004943)
Congrats on the ride and birthday. I've only been riding a bit less than 2 years and not as serious as many. I did ride my age(plus a few) around my 61st birthday in late July, which was my longest ride at the time. Assuming I keep riding regularly, I figure I can keep it up for a number of years. For me, enjoying my time on the bike is more important than how many miles I put in. As long as I'm having a good time, I'll keep doing it.

Enjoyment plus exercise. What could be better?

gif4445 11-23-17 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 20009389)
Congratulations on your Birthday Ride! I try to do the same every year (late March) but several years ago (when I was 63) the Spring Solvang Double Century was held on my birthday, so I got 200 mi. on the bike that day!

Does that mean I'll live to be 200? Not a chance!

This year I'm 67 and only got in four double centuries but hoping to get in five or six doubles in 2018.

Rick / OCRR

That's pretty cool! I've only done 2 doubles in my 6-7 years on a bike. Hoping for many more after 60!