Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Rotors are you choosing for hydraulic brakes??

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-01-17, 05:11 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)

Iím building up my new gravel bike.......Iím learning how much I need to learn!!!

My wheel builder suggests center lock vs 6 bolt. Looks like I need 160s. What make has been your preference?
Old 12-01-17, 05:37 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Pricing is all over the place. Anywhere from a few bucks to about $50 per rotor. Stick to name brands and you can't go wrong. Personally I went with TRP standard rotors for my second set of wheels because that was what my first wheel set came with. Also, I think there are more choices with 6 bolt pattern than with center lock but then again it depends on what hubs you get. No bad choices here...
Old 12-02-17, 11:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4954 Post(s)
Let your choice of wheels drive the decision to go with centerlock or 6-bolt.

There is nothing wrong with 6-bolt but I would go with centerlock if your choice of wheels have that option. My wheels only came with 6-bolt hubs and so that's what I went with.

Either way, Shimano Ice Tech rotors are very good quality.
  • SM-RT81 is the 160 mm centerlock XT level rotor.
  • MS-RT86 is the 160 mm 6-bolt XT level rotor. This is what I have on my Niner.
  • SM-RT99 is the XTR level centerlock rotor. Sweet, but expensive.

-Tim-
Old 12-02-17, 11:08 AM
Marcus_Ti 
Only Slightly Bent

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1423 Post(s)
The more mountainous the terrain, the more you stand to benefit from bigger and fancier, and more expensive rotors. Being in a state that ends with "Carolina" I'll wager you fit the bill.

With Campag endorsing Shimano Centerlock (sounds really odd don't it)...I suspect CL is the way of the future. Lots of great rotors for CL like Shimano IceTech.
Old 12-02-17, 12:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
I went with Shimano, because ... Shimano, and 6-bolt because of my wheels. Not sure why people prefer Center-lock ... stronger, lighter, simpler? But I didn't do any research because wheels cost a lot more than rotors.
Old 12-02-17, 12:58 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5091 Post(s)
I use Avid discs* , but Magura / Galfer discs are thicker..

* a 6 bolt with a CenterLock adapter 160 on front , a 4 bolt Rohloff disc , another 160, on the back.. Avid costs less .

Advantage? It's a Bike Friday , so to keep the disc from getting bent, when packed in the suitcase, to go touring someplace,

the disc comes off with a lock ring, to be packed separately..

a benefit for other bikes used for adventure touring not a loop from and back to your front door.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-02-17 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-02-17, 01:28 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
I am interested in the opinions of others here about which rotors are the most true out of the box. I have trued my Avid BB7 rotors so many times and I have one that just won't stop rubbing no matter how much time and effort I put into it.
Old 12-02-17, 02:11 PM
Marcus_Ti 
Only Slightly Bent

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1423 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I went with Shimano, because ... Shimano, and 6-bolt because of my wheels. Not sure why people prefer Center-lock ... stronger, lighter, simpler? But I didn't do any research because wheels cost a lot more than rotors.
5 fewer fasteners to loctite and torque.
Old 12-02-17, 06:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4954 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
The more mountainous the terrain, the more you stand to benefit from bigger and fancier, and more expensive rotors. Being in a state that ends with "Carolina" I'll wager you fit the bill.

There is a big difference between the mountains of Western North Carolina and the coastal plain. Driving from Interstate 95 in the middle of the state east to Wilmington on the coast is as flat as any place in Florida.

The same is true for mountainous North Georgia vs the flat lands south of the Gnat Line.

-Tim-
Old 12-03-17, 05:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
I am interested in the opinions of others here about which rotors are the most true out of the box. I have trued my Avid BB7 rotors so many times and I have one that just won't stop rubbing no matter how much time and effort I put into it.
Avids only move the outside pad, so full braking DEPENDS on bending the rotor. The more space you have between the rotor and the inner pad, the more the rotor deflects, and the more often you'll have to true it up. Don't get the thicker rotors, but maybe the 'floating' rotors will work better.
Old 12-03-17, 09:33 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Avids only move the outside pad, so full braking DEPENDS on bending the rotor. The more space you have between the rotor and the inner pad, the more the rotor deflects, and the more often you'll have to true it up. Don't get the thicker rotors, but maybe the 'floating' rotors will work better.
I don't need thicker rotors; I need FLATTER rotors.

I trued them again today. They're not quite as tight as I wish they could be, but life isn't perfect. They're no longer rubbing...for the time being. I only needed one tiny tweak, but of course I don't take my rotor truing tool on 75 mile rides.
Old 12-04-17, 07:19 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
I don't need thicker rotors; I need FLATTER rotors.
The point being, thicker ones are going to be stronger and less susceptible to bending. Which will make your brakes less effective. Some rotors are on a carrier, and allow the rotor to float. They may be able to move and let your brakes develop their full power and still not bend. Or, you could replace the BB7. Hydraulics move both pads and won't bend your rotors. If you want to stick with mechanicals, TRP Spyre/Spyke do the same.
Old 12-04-17, 07:44 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several Ďbents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
I upgraded to Hydraulic brakes this year, it was definitely an upgrade. I didn't bother changing to the rotors that came with the kit. I am just keeping them for spares.
Old 12-28-17, 01:14 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 1.9kw GT LTS-3, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
I've only ever ran floating discs really, never had a problem with warped discs. I've just put one-piece discs on my old bike because that's all i have for it, selling it anyway.

My discs are 203/180 but it's a heavy, high-speed e-bike. I believe smaller discs are better for feel and flexibility at low speeds.
Old 12-29-17, 12:01 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
I ordered these rotors:
SM-RT81 is the 160 mm centerlock XT level rotor.

I like the convenience of CR over 6 bolt....just me but Iíd probably lose one of the bolts before I got it assembled.

I had a heck of a time finding an Ultegra hydraulic 11 sp groupset with flat mounted brake calipers. Finally ordered post mounted calipers with adapters. Beautiful frame has been sitting in the box for a month.....all the components should be coming in over the next week.
Old 01-01-18, 11:32 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
I'm running TRP 25 centerlock rotors on my gravel bike. They have been quiet and true so far.