Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-17, 11:40 AM   #26
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
Don't hate us.....it's going to be 85 around Socal this week. And you know how deadly these dry conditions have been; we live relatively close to the fire areas. Send us some rain.....quickly!

Nonetheless, I can't remember a December this warm. Our Saturday shop rides are short sleeve jerseys affairs and sunscreen. Really weird....
You folks have it tough out there right now. We and many others are praying for your area. Iíd heard was the fire was spreading at the rate of a football field each second, that it was a spontaneous combustion situation. Stay safe, man.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 05:43 PM   #27
sempre1

Bikes: 2016 Colnago- BMC teammaster Cervelo S3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
Don't hate us.....it's going to be 85 around Socal this week. And you know how deadly these dry conditions have been; we live relatively close to the fire areas. Send us some rain.....quickly!

Nonetheless, I can't remember a December this warm. Our Saturday shop rides are short sleeve jerseys affairs and sunscreen. Really weird....
Send us some nice warm weather over here...it's cold and snowing!!
sempre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 05:59 AM   #28
Trsnrtr
(Tresenriter)

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, Bacchetta CA2.0
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempre1 View Post
Send us some nice warm weather over here...it's cold and snowing!!
I don't know where where is.

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Trsnrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 09:20 AM   #29
sempre1

Bikes: 2016 Colnago- BMC teammaster Cervelo S3
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I don't know where where is.
Lol...true true....Canada my firend the land of the refrigerator
sempre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 04:51 PM   #30
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Getting into sub-zero near the Soo tonight. Yikes.
Old 12-13-17, 09:56 AM   #31
[email protected]
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
It does get nicely warm during the day here in SoCal but cools right off at night. It got down to 54 on our club ride last night!

I'm originally from Missouri so I know what cold winters are but having lived here for 20+ years I've become a weather wimp.

For the ride last night besides jersey and shorts I was wearing a base layer, arm and knee warmers and a jacket. Seems silly to you Northern riders probably but it kept me comfortable!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 10:48 AM   #32
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Weird long spell of clear weather here too with temperature inversion. Rode through frost patches on the Sunday ride, but we should be back to normal rain this coming Sunday. Snow cover in the mountains is not good and it's not looking to get much better at least for a while. Way too warm up high.
Old 12-16-17, 02:06 PM   #33
OldsCOOL

This past Wed eve the weather channel said less than an inch of snow through the week. Just 36hrs later on Friday morn I awoke to seriously large flakes coming down, no visibilty and schools calling off immediately. We ended up with 14” at the house and 18” down at the church where I had a snowday but manned The Tonka (F700 dumptruck with 10’ plow) for the 3 parking lots we have. I was dead dog beat last night. That’s the end of my 3mo hunting season and back to riding, this time it’s snowriding.
Old 12-24-17, 07:09 PM   #34
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
This past Wed eve the weather channel said less than an inch of snow through the week. Just 36hrs later on Friday morn I awoke to seriously large flakes coming down, no visibilty and schools calling off immediately. We ended up with 14Ē at the house and 18Ē down at the church where I had a snowday but manned The Tonka (F700 dumptruck with 10í plow) for the 3 parking lots we have. I was dead dog beat last night. Thatís the end of my 3mo hunting season and back to riding, this time itís snowriding.
So how many miles on the bike in that weather?
Pouhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 07:57 PM   #35
OldsCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouhana View Post
So how many miles on the bike in that weather?
Only 7-8mi but I will get more out of it than an hour of boredom on the trainer. The roads have more snowmobile traffic than cars/trucks. In the dark, cozy warm, tunes going and heavy snow coming down provides for a very surreal experience.
Old 12-24-17, 08:05 PM   #36
oldnslow2

Bikes:
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
It was dry and 37*F today so I suited up and rode 37 miles (just worked out that way).

Since Thanksgivings i've rode 200 miles on my winter bike. Hope to past the 1000 miles i did last year. (Thanksgivings to St. Patty's)
oldnslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 08:07 PM   #37
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Only 7-8mi but I will get more out of it than an hour of boredom on the trainer. The roads have more snowmobile traffic than cars/trucks. In the dark, cozy warm, tunes going and heavy snow coming down provides for a very surreal experience.
I live 8 miles from the YMCA and always ride to workouts. Have not been on a treadmill or exercise machine in 15 years. I live where we have salted pavements and cleared roads all but 4-5 days in a bad winter month. My biggest problem last week was 20 degrees and windy. Temps went up to freezing and I was soaked under my coat.
Pouhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-17, 08:14 PM   #38
jon c. 

Bikes:
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
A nice 70 degree day today, but only mid 50s tomorrow. Usually too cold for me, but I haven't missed a Christmas ride in a few years and I have a new wind jacket to test so I may brave it.
jon c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 03:34 PM   #39
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Snowed in Portland, but not on the coast, yesterday ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 05:37 PM   #40
OldsCOOL

Here is a pic of my neighborhood...

Old 12-26-17, 07:58 AM   #41
NABodie

Bikes: '13 Felt F85, Giant Revel 1 29er, '16 Giant AnyRoad 1
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
All that snow is very pretty, but I prefer snow S. Carolina style. Melted by lunch time!
NABodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 09:44 PM   #42
bjjoondo 
60+ on a comfort bike!

Bikes: 2015 Del Sol Lxi 6.1 Comfort Bike
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here in Colorado Springs, it was 60+ last Weds. by Friday, the low 30's, Christmas day, clear and 30, Today, it's 17 with light snow, it's going to be 60F on Friday and 50F on Sat, then low 30's on Sunday!! LOL, it's quite the roller coaster lately! Happy New Years!
bjjoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 03:29 PM   #43
OldsCOOL

Awoke to -40f this morning. Temps were no warmer than -5. Soooo, I wait a few days and get back to it. This is when highs in the 20’s feels like t-shirt weather. Call me Nanook of the north and yes I do know where the huskies go.
Old 01-06-18, 09:14 AM   #44
OldsCOOL

Second morning of -40. This is cramping my style. Temps back into the 20’s tomorrow so hopefully the snowriding can continue.
Old 01-06-18, 10:04 AM   #45
DaveQ24 

Bikes: Enough plus 1
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Quote:
Second morning of -40. This is cramping my style. Temps back into the 20ís tomorrow so hopefully the snowriding can continue.
Agreed, and its so much ďwarmerĒ here downstate and in the urban heat island of Metro Detroit. A mere -5 degrees with windchill of -14 per NWS when I woke up and checked about 7 am.

You really need to be prepared for this stuff. I had some non-perishable groceries in the car from yesterday to unload this morning, and grabbed a pair of medium-heavy weight, Pearl Izumi winter gloves to wear. In the five minutes it took to make 4 or 5 trips in and out, both of my hands were already chilled to the point of being uncomfortable. Iím glad I wasnít out on a trail somewhere relying on those gloves.

Iím really anxious to get back on my bike, but this past two weeks has been the most significant cold snap I remember since probably the 1990s. It just didnít feel safe to me to try it.

Next week, even a couple of days in the 40s here - and it will feel almost tropical relative to the past 2 weeks. That will be my opportunity to finally get back into a regular routine.
DaveQ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 10:34 AM   #46
PaulH

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Off to work on a beautiful, seasonally appropriate morning. At 10 F, the snow is fine and powdery, forming clouds like a dragon's breath as it emerges from the top of the front fender.

Making a living the old, hard way.
Taking and giving my day by day.
I dig the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.
I'm draggin' the line (draggin' the line)

(Tommy James)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180104_064906s.jpg (82.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by PaulH; 01-06-18 at 10:54 AM.
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 11:04 AM   #47
OldsCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Off to work on a beautiful, seasonally appropriate morning. At 10 F, the snow is fine and powdery, forming clouds like a dragon's breath as it emerges from the top of the front fender.

Making a living the old, hard way.
Taking and giving my day by day.
I dig the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.
I'm draggin' the line (draggin' the line)

(Tommy James)
Thanx, now I have to Youtube that song.
Old 01-06-18, 11:06 AM   #48
OldsCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveQ24 View Post
Agreed, and its so much ďwarmerĒ here downstate and in the urban heat island of Metro Detroit. A mere -5 degrees with windchill of -14 per NWS when I woke up and checked about 7 am.

You really need to be prepared for this stuff. I had some non-perishable groceries in the car from yesterday to unload this morning, and grabbed a pair of medium-heavy weight, Pearl Izumi winter gloves to wear. In the five minutes it took to make 4 or 5 trips in and out, both of my hands were already chilled to the point of being uncomfortable. Iím glad I wasnít out on a trail somewhere relying on those gloves.

Iím really anxious to get back on my bike, but this past two weeks has been the most significant cold snap I remember since probably the 1990s. It just didnít feel safe to me to try it.

Next week, even a couple of days in the 40s here - and it will feel almost tropical relative to the past 2 weeks. That will be my opportunity to finally get back into a regular routine.
Itís totally absurd to think we may see a swing of 80deg by Wednesday. Crazy. My trip to the morning wood pile gave me sore fingers in a matter of seconds. Brrrr and ouch.
Old 01-07-18, 02:17 PM   #49
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Went out to my car this morning to head for the gym. It was -4 degrees. Spent all day yesterday ripping carpet out of a small downstairs room where a pipe burst and flooded everything. Have had a propane heater and fans going to try to dry the thing out. A total mess.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 03:39 PM   #50
OldsCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Went out to my car this morning to head for the gym. It was -4 degrees. Spent all day yesterday ripping carpet out of a small downstairs room where a pipe burst and flooded everything. Have had a propane heater and fans going to try to dry the thing out. A total mess.
Ugh. Sorry to hear about that. I dont ever want to see this kind of cold again.