Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-28-17, 01:32 AM   #1
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 1.9kw GT LTS-3, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Hip joints

When it comes to health, use it or lose it. I'm only 43 but in the eyes of many i'm old - i show them up; i still jump railings, sprint stairs, i act like i'm 10 and i feel as fit as i've always been. No sign of slowdown as of yet.

Apart from sore hips.

I think i know what caused this - when my daughter was 2-5yo i carried her in a bike trailer. I did some serious mileage, a good 50 miles a week, i had to fit the trailer with leaf springs as it was too crashy before, given the speeds and terrain i was doing - attack attack attack! Until... It was from here i noticed i was getting burning hips.

These days i no longer use it. She sits on the back of my e-bike. The burning is reduced but still there. I used a car last year to give my hips a break. I suspect i did damage and it'll never really repair.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Experiences?
MikeyMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 04:32 AM   #2
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
a) 43 is not old, and this forum is for 50+. Some of us who are 50 don't feel old either.

b) 50 miles a week is nowhere near "serious milage"

c) Sounds like your fit is incorrect. Maybe post this in the Fit Subforum: https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-your-bike/ . Once you get your fit sorted, you might be able to double, triple, quadruple .... your weekly mileage.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 07:25 AM   #3
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
When I 43 that was 13 years ago I could still run 50 mile weeks and if something was hurting a good day off would take care of most things. Now approaching 57 I run much slower and ride fine all I want but if I get a injury it can takes days to weeks to get better. I have gone to the bike much more to avoid the pounding issues.

Give it another 10 years.
deacon mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 11:44 PM   #4
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
You'd need medical tests to determine whether the hip pain is due to sore muscles from workouts or something more serious.

After two years of riding casually to get back into shape gradually, I got a road bike this summer and started pushing harder. I had some occasional hip pain but it was just sore muscles from the different riding position and pushing harder on hills and interval training.

As I've gotten older I'm more prone to cramping, which can be pretty painful and feel like a serious injury or joint problem. But it's just the muscles. I just needed to take more rest days, or at least easier workout days for recovery.

Massage and soaks in a hot tub with Epsom salts, etc., helped with the sore muscles. That won't help much with deteriorating joints (and might worsen joint pain) or more serious soft tissue injury. So there's one quick and easy method to get an idea of whether your hip pain is muscles or bad joints.
canklecat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 02:41 PM   #5
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
As I've gotten older I'm more prone to cramping...
That's my story, too.
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 02:53 PM   #6
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Look into bursa sacs and bursitis. Sounds like you may have aggravated them. (I've gotten to know mine from hard spills on my hips as well as elbows and now my left knee.)

Ben
79pmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 10:50 AM   #7
linberl

Bikes: 2003 Bike Friday (restored & sold: 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Things hurt as you get older and they take longer to heal. bike fit is probably one of the most important things to prevent further injury and allow you to heal prior problems. A couple cm either way on seat fore-aft, height, etc., can make a huge difference. Depending on your hip flexibility, you will need to adjust your position to avoid straining the joints. A good fitter can help measure your flexibility and set you up to work with your body not against it.
linberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 02:23 PM   #8
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
You screwed something up or it's genetic. See doctor. You're not old and shouldn't be having problems like that. I was riding 200 mile weeks in my 60s and riding hard, 10 years ago. I still ride hard. If the doc can't figure it out, try the BF Fitting forum, posting photos of you on your bike.
Old 01-02-18, 03:43 PM   #9
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
For years my hips hurt, starting in my forties I thought I would eventually need replacement surgery. Two years ago I had serious leg pain, found out I have Spinal Stenosis, my hips are fine.
Go to a spine center to isolate your problem, it may not be your hips.
a77impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 05:23 PM   #10
linberl

Bikes: 2003 Bike Friday (restored & sold: 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
When someone mentions burning pain, I think about nerve impingement. Hips can hurt from sciatic nerve pinching, and many other causes. You are young enough that it's worth following up medically to see if you can eliminate this problem. Trust me, other issues will crop up as you age and you don't need to carry over any, lol.
linberl is offline   Reply With Quote