Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you use the indoor trainer today?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you use the indoor trainer today?

Old 01-03-18, 05:55 PM
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous gravel/adventure/whatever bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
I'm no fan of trainer rides, but the weather here has been pretty bad. It's been almost two weeks since our high temp made it to 20F. The next few days will see "highs" of 6-7F .

I find trainer rides somewhat mind numbing. I usually do 30-40 minutes and vary between spinning, high resistance/gear and standing. So far, just the TV muted using wireless headphones. They mute the chain noise and allow me to not disturb the rest of the house. I'm considering looking into one of the trainer apps but I'm currently using a dumb fluid trainer.
Old 01-03-18, 06:15 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
I'm managing the learning curve on my smart trainer and the App I selected. I have the Tacx Flux direct-drive smart trainer and I'm using the Rouvy App on my iPad. I intend to train using structured interval workouts and Rouvy is a good App for my workout plans.

I've used the equipment to train several times in the last week. It's a big improvement over a fluid trainer I've previously used. I closely respond to the demands of my interval workouts, increasing my power from 130 to 230 watts 10 to 20 times for 60 seconds. The software will also replicate real world routes, becoming more demanding during climbs.

Like any new technology, the progress is exciting but the technology does have it's frustrations. I do expect to maintain my fitness and weight loss during the winter.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-04-18 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 09:54 PM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Got on the trainer today as we are trying to get back in shape for a ride in February and we need to ride mid week after work. We have our tandem on a Kurt Kinetic smart-control and ride on Zwift. I have the Zwift settings set to 100 percent and our profile includes out total weight. We rode the flat course tonight for a total of ten miles in about 40 minutes, which is about what we would do in the real world.
Old 01-04-18, 08:20 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Finally back in town - I need to go to the LBS and pick up my bike after servicing, but they don't open until 11 .
Old 01-04-18, 08:21 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
I got my trainer in the winter of 2010 when we had the coldest winter on record since sometime in the 60s. Since the 2010 winter, I've used the trainer twice - in 2011, while recovering from a bad shoulder injury and in 2015 while recovering from another injury. This morning, the temp was 31º when I woke up - the coldest it's been since 2010. I'm now waiting for the wife to get up so I can set up the trainer as it seems if though this cold snap is going to stick around for a while.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-04-18, 11:44 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
It was 51°F this morning at 4:30AM. Warmest early morning temp in at least a month. The road was a bit wet from last nights rain but a very comfortable ride.

Don't own a trainer since it rarely gets to freezing here. I'll ride unless it's raining or near freezing. At that point, I nordic track for a morning workout.
Old 01-04-18, 11:50 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
I did a spin class last night, but rode 1/2 hr there & back- light rain.

We don't have much winter here.
Old 01-04-18, 12:53 PM
fivefootnine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm on a stairmaster for 20 minutes every lunch hour Mon-Thurs. Come Sat & Sun., I try to get on the bike even if its a little ride (which seems to be more the norm). Winter in Toronto, sucks so in the basement I go, watch a period of hockey or something...

Like Merckx said...

"Ride as much or as little, or as long or short as you feel. But ride."
Old 01-04-18, 01:59 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
For a bunch of reasons, my strength and endurance have been in a 4 year decline, despite a more than adequate number of hours in the saddle. This included a frustrating DNF at an event I traveled 1000 miles to ride last year.

My FTP appears to be down 15% from the last professional test. Part of that is the fact I have gone to unmeasured (distance, speed, cadence, power) rides both on the road and on the trainer, despite having the tools. I think I have convinced myself that I'm going harder than I am.

So, for the next three months, I'm doing structured work on the smart trainer, six days a week, and keeping track. At 61, I'm willing to suffer for a bit on the trainer, if it brings the pleasure of stronger riding come spring.
Old 01-05-18, 02:47 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
As I post this it's 18 deg with 22 mph wind for a real feel of 1 deg. Not to mention over 7 in of snow and ice on the ground so hell yes I ride on a trainer. Actually I've been riding on the trainer since Sept. when I had a total knee replacement. It's really been a Godsend for my recovery. I ride on Zwift using a Tecx Neo trainer. While I would never say it compares to riding outside but I can sure scratch my itch on it. Between group rides, I just did a Fondo last Sunday with over 1000 riders, or structured workouts in ERG mode I'm a lot better prepared to return to real world riding when the weather permits.
In the past I followed a training program on Trainer Road which is really effective but since I don't race I'm not crazy about being locked into prescribed workouts 6 days a week. I find it more entertaining to do two structured workouts a week and just get on and ride various routes on Zwift the other four days. Being a flatlander I get to ride a lot more varied terrain - albeit pseudo mountains but my legs can't tell the difference.
I rode outdoors for most of last winter except when it was wet and icy and decided I don't really enjoy winter riding. In my running days I've done countless sub freezing training in the dead of predawn winter. I don't have anything to prove to myself so I choose to ride on the trainer for now. I get much more effective training rather than just enduring another winter survival ride.

Last edited by TCR Rider; 01-05-18 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-05-18, 08:23 PM
schundog

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I had a magnetic trainer that was loud as heck, so I never used it. I found a Reebok RT245 Stationary bike with an electronic console at a Habitat For Humanity for $25. It is very quiet, and is a very smooth ride that rivals gym bikes. Still, unless it is as cold as it has been (below zero wind chills for 2 weeks, practically) I'd prefer to ride outside. The Fat Bike has been getting the majority of the time the last couple of weeks.
Old 01-06-18, 03:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2146 Post(s)
Yes. Unfortunately.

It was and still is a really weird day out there today. Hot ... and heavily overcast, looking like it is going to storm at any moment. With some really odd wind patterns.

It hasn't stormed, but it has been so dark, I had to turn the lights on about 4 pm.
Old 01-06-18, 07:24 AM
John_V 

I rode the trainer, on Wednesday, for 14 virtual miles; 7 miles @ 20-21 mph and 7 miles @ 15-16 mph. I was going to do another 7 but 14 was all I could take. Yesterday, I was going to do a repeat but it only lasted for 2 virtual miles. I'm glad I live in Florida because I don't see how you guys do this for more than a day. This cold snap we are having has been the longest consecutive days of temps in the 30s since 2010. It's really getting old.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-06-18, 07:36 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Yes, reluctantly. I ride outside through the winter - I logged >500 outdoor miles in December - but when the weather gets extreme, as it has been recently, I go down to the basement and use the trainer. I find it very boring, though Zwift helps immensely. Last winter I used the trainer exactly 12 times, but this winter it will definitely be more, as we are having colder weather.

As others have said, there are some advantages to the trainer, besides that of avoiding bad weather. These include structured workouts and the ability to concentrate heavily on form - pedaling mechanics for example - are actually very helpful. Also, even though i ride outside in the winter, I usually do not ride hard - between challenging road surface conditions and the discomfort of effusing sweat in the cold, the winter outdoor rides are base-building, low intensity affairs, usually. On the trainer, I always work hard, even if I set out not to. 60 minutes of pouring sweat.
Old 01-06-18, 03:59 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
I rode yesterday. As I was riding, my wife was doing child care for the neighbors two daughters - they heard the noise and wanted to see what I was up to. They had clearly never seen any such thing before, and they were fascinated by it all. I showed them the Zwift screen on my laptop - they were making fun of some of my "style choices" in my avatar .

I had taken my bike in for service over Christmas - good choice. The bottom bracket was shot and needed a new cartridge, which I knew when I took the thing in. They did a better job of getting the derailleur set than I did, so the drivetrain is much quieter than it was before.
Old 01-06-18, 09:46 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tigat View Post
For a bunch of reasons, my strength and endurance have been in a 4 year decline, despite a more than adequate number of hours in the saddle. This included a frustrating DNF at an event I traveled 1000 miles to ride last year.

My FTP appears to be down 15% from the last professional test. Part of that is the fact I have gone to unmeasured (distance, speed, cadence, power) rides both on the road and on the trainer, despite having the tools. I think I have convinced myself that I'm going harder than I am.

So, for the next three months, I'm doing structured work on the smart trainer, six days a week, and keeping track. At 61, I'm willing to suffer for a bit on the trainer, if it brings the pleasure of stronger riding come spring.
That's what a trainer is for, and I'm glad you're reassessing and reevaluating. I'm not sure what your schedule consists of, but I can say I take 2 full rest days a week, and a nice little rest week after 3 hard weeks. Be careful, as fatigue is a rotten little devil, and can sneak up on you.
Old 01-06-18, 09:47 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
2 hours on the trainer today, and looks to be 3 tomorrow.

I have to economize my time, and the trainer works well in that arena.
Old 01-07-18, 02:37 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

I used the trainer 6 of the last 7 days for a total of 4 hours. I also rode outside today in freezing weather for 24 miles. That's the combined equivalent of 90 miles for the week.

I'd like to train for the equivalent of 350 per month this year. I'm off to a good start.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-07-18, 03:25 PM
John_V 

Not today! We had one of our normal winter days with the temperature reaching 73º. Did 40 miles outdoors.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-07-18, 03:29 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
No stationary bike for me today as we finally got into the 20s for the first time since 12/24! Got 20 miles of outdoor riding with temps that started at 20 degrees and rose to 25 degrees when I finished. Best of all I finished up about 45 minutes before the wintery mix started up.

We will have warmer weather mid week but since I still need to remain gainfully employed for now, I won't be able to take advantage of it for riding. At least it will make going between work locations more pleasant.
Old 01-07-18, 06:20 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2018 All-City Cosmic Stallion, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I used mine yesterday to try to raise $ for some of the parts I'm buying for an upcoming bike build. I sent photos and a description of it to a friend who knows a couple of people who are wanting to buy one. I've had it since 2006 and it hasn't had a bike on it since 2008.
Old 01-08-18, 07:45 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: Trek Madone 7s,Trek Domane 6, S-Works Tarmac, 5900 Trek superlight, Eddie Merckx, DeRosa,Turner 5 Spot

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a nice Cycleops fluid trainer that I have probably used five times in 5 years. It is just boring. After speaking with Zwifters and people using trainer road I picked up a Cycleops Magnus which I am currently setting up. Hopefully virtual training on Alp D'Huez and competing with others will infect me.
Old 01-08-18, 09:06 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
No trainer but, I do spin classes 3 to 5 times a week.
Old 01-10-18, 08:08 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Ride with GPS calendar is showing me at 157 miles for the week and I have almost 30 on my ELEMNT at the moment. Quite a contrast from my first trainer I owned and rode maybe one hour in thirty years.

For me, 2018 is about challenging mindsets and maximizing my riding setup. I've added ERG workouts and I take back every single bad thing I've said about them, and I started using an electrolyte drink, Citomax for now, both have helped me launch clear of any plateau I was on. I find the Citomax sugary, but I also have a new CamelBack water bottle with a "jet valve" and it is like a fire-hose for rinsing after a drink of the Citomax.

I challenged the "cleats all the way back" mindset today and man, I am glad I did! I moved them forward a bit and noticed better cadence, but a slight pronation of my left foot. I moved cleats all the way forward, foot towards crank and a bit of toe-out and now 75-100 RPM have improved noticeably. 80 is the 'new' 60 RPM, no BS. No more pronation as I am now on the ball of my foot, so correction is natural. I am giving this a few hundred miles, then I will test seat position variables to see if I can make it worse, which is my tuning focus. You never know if something is good as can be unless you can make it worse, then fix it. The cleat change was a huge payoff.

After reading a post about them, I took a fresh look at a pair or Louis Garment shoes I had. I removed the insoles and put my planter fasciitis insoles in and I now love them. Very good shoes. Hard soles!

Last edited by PaddleFoot; 01-10-18 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-10-18, 08:31 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by PaddleFoot View Post
Ride with GPS calendar is showing me at 157 miles for the week and I have almost 30 on my ELEMNT at the moment. Quite a contrast from my first trainer I owned and rode maybe one hour in thirty years.

For me, 2018 is about challenging mindsets and maximizing my riding setup. I've added ERG workouts and I take back every single bad thing I've said about them, and I started using an electrolyte drink, Citomax for now, both have helped me launch clear of any plateau I was on. I find the Citomax sugary, but I also have a new CamelBack water bottle with a "jet valve" and it is like a fire-hose for rinsing after a drink of the Citomax.

I challenged the "cleats all the way back" mindset today and man, I am glad I did! I moved them forward a bit and noticed better cadence, but a slight pronation of my left foot. I moved cleats all the way forward, foot towards crank and a bit of toe-out and now 75-100 RPM have improved noticeably. 80 is the 'new' 60 RPM, no BS. No more pronation as I am now on the ball of my foot, so correction is natural. I am giving this a few hundred miles, then I will test seat position variables to see if I can make it worse, which is my tuning focus. You never know if something is good as can be unless you can make it worse, then fix it. The cleat change was a huge payoff.

After reading a post about them, I took a fresh look at a pair or Louis Garment shoes I had. I removed the insoles and put my planter fasciitis insoles in and I now love them. Very good shoes. Hard soles!
Great effort and progress! Modern workouts and advanced trainers are greatly improving the value of indoor training for cyclist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service