Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-18, 10:16 PM   #1
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Around the world in 1460 days, kinda!

Hi all,

This is probably the only place in the world where I can tell someone about this and have them care...

Four years ago, I set a goal of cycling 5000 miles in a year. By year's end, I had gone well over 6000. Then it hit me that if I achieved the same distance for three more years, I would have cycled the equivalent of the world's circumference. So that became the new goal. I hit my target in November/December. I guess it is actually 1461 days since 2016 was a leap year. I've been logging my rides in my head as I've learned the distance of all the rides close to me. An average week is about 125 miles.

A few highlights--

Longest ride in one day=125 miles with about 10,000 feet of climbing.

Longest ride in a week=442 miles touring down the coast of California. I'm glad I did it before last year's bridge washout and landslides.

Places visited=Almost all of these miles were done in my local area in So Cal. A bicycle tour in Greece kicked off my current cycling habit. I've also ridden in Belgium, Austria, and the Czech Republic. Plus the Red Rock Canyon loop just west of Las Vegas!

Falls=a few slow speed knee scrapers. I did take a tumble that knocked me out and left me with a concussion. No memory of the fall or riding home afterwards. Scary!

That's it. A totally meaningless achievement. I'm mostly happy that I set a long range goal and stuck to it!

Thanks for reading.
raceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 02:17 PM   #2
mightymax

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Congratulations and good on you. I have kept track of my mileage since 2013. I ride almost everyday year round if Winter allows. One day a guy sidled up next to me and asked how far I ride in a year cause he always sees me. I said probably 2000 miles and he said no way cause I rode everyday, and he suggested I start a log and I did beginning in 2013. He was right! I just finished up this year at 7278. It was a potential 8000 mile record year but vacations and the crazy temps the last week put me at that 7278 and done.

So I added up the mileage and from 2013 to Feb 4 2017 I rode the around the world distance! I now wonder since I have been riding since I was a teen (57 now) just how many times I have circled the Globe and how close to a Moontrip have I gotten? Anyway the clock for another around the World has begun to be logged. It has been so cold I have not ridden now in two weeks!

Cheers
Max Bryant
mightymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 05:35 PM   #3
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Holy smokes! What tires do you run and what kind of life do you get outta them?
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 10:23 PM   #4
raceboy

@mightymax--Ha! Yes, I guess cycling to the Moon is next for us. It's amazing how the miles roll up once I started to commute to work. Also, I'm lucky enough to live where riding year round is no problem.
@BobbyG--Speaking for me, my miles are split among 4 different bikes. None of them are high end at all. I have had generally good luck with Gatorskins {4000 miles + or -) and Schwalbe Marathons or Victoria Randonneurs. I chew through the tires that come with the bikes pretty quickly and then throw on something with better endurance. I'm no racer so high speed cornering isn't one of my needs.
Old 01-05-18, 05:21 PM   #5
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Have bicycled over 300,000 (3 hundred thousand) miles since the early 1970s.
Over a quarter million miles of that was on our tandem with my wife Kay.
Now at ages 85 and 82 we've slowed down some. Shorter/slower riding but still out there! No more centuries and tours. Been there, done that.
Logged over 4,300 miles in 2017.
Oh, and we do live in southern Arizona where we can ride 13 months out of the year. Temps up to low 70s when riding today.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 07:47 AM   #6
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
Have bicycled over 300,000 (3 hundred thousand) miles since the early 1970s.
Over a quarter million miles of that was on our tandem with my wife Kay.
Now at ages 85 and 82 we've slowed down some. Shorter/slower riding but still out there! No more centuries and tours. Been there, done that.
Logged over 4,300 miles in 2017.
Oh, and we do live in southern Arizona where we can ride 13 months out of the year. Temps up to low 70s when riding today.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
You guys are my heroes.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 07:53 AM   #7
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceboy View Post
Hi all,

This is probably the only place in the world where I can tell someone about this and have them care...

Four years ago, I set a goal of cycling 5000 miles in a year. By year's end, I had gone well over 6000. Then it hit me that if I achieved the same distance for three more years, I would have cycled the equivalent of the world's circumference. So that became the new goal. I hit my target in November/December. I guess it is actually 1461 days since 2016 was a leap year. I've been logging my rides in my head as I've learned the distance of all the rides close to me. An average week is about 125 miles.

A few highlights--

Longest ride in one day=125 miles with about 10,000 feet of climbing.

Longest ride in a week=442 miles touring down the coast of California. I'm glad I did it before last year's bridge washout and landslides.

Places visited=Almost all of these miles were done in my local area in So Cal. A bicycle tour in Greece kicked off my current cycling habit. I've also ridden in Belgium, Austria, and the Czech Republic. Plus the Red Rock Canyon loop just west of Las Vegas!

Falls=a few slow speed knee scrapers. I did take a tumble that knocked me out and left me with a concussion. No memory of the fall or riding home afterwards. Scary!

That's it. A totally meaningless achievement. I'm mostly happy that I set a long range goal and stuck to it!

Thanks for reading.
Yeah, totally meaningless - but on the other hand, very rewarding. Good for you. Myself, I had a banner year in 2017, riding 9600 outdoor miles. This beats my previous record of 7000. I'm hoping for around 8000 in 2018. Injuries tend to get in the way of my mileage plans, though, so there are no guarantees.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 04:02 PM   #8
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
OUTSTANDING !!!

uh, more like OUT PEDALING

anyway, congratulations and wishing you many more miles
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 05:38 PM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
I would have cycled the equivalent of the world's circumference..

But you did not experience the cultures of the other parts of your world...
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 10:04 PM   #10
raceboy

Congrats zonatandem and minnman!!!

I agree, fietsbob. Cycling through the continents and experiencing the cultures would have been better. But I have to work for a living. Riding the miles where I can, coupled with whatever Euro trips I could fit into my vacations, was the next best thing.

I can shoot for the real thing after I retire! First up will be a trans-US trip.