Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Max heart rate question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Max heart rate question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 12:53 PM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes. When I hit what I believe was my max, there was no way I could maintain that for more than about 30 seconds. I literally couldn't see.
I had an ocular migraine on a 24% climb a month or two ago. My HR was way at max something for longer than I'd like, and then my vision began to blank out! I had to stop for 30 or 40 seconds for it to come back. That was probably enough!
I don't have a 'max' HR that I can pin down. In the winter it might be 180; but in the summer, I've hit 192+ responding to critical hill attacks. However, if I have chronic fatigue loading, my max HR is going to be much lower - I might not be able to hit 170.
Old 01-21-18, 04:25 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tourisme
I'm not sure why people talk about max HR. It's not really a useful number, first because it varies dramatically from person to person, secondly because it isn't trainable, and thirdly the difference between lactate threshold HR (which is a useful number) and max HR will change with one's fitness.
Agreed. I always cringe when people cite the "220-age" formula.

The problem is that a lot of the data in training (zones, for example) are all based on the max HR.
Old 01-23-18, 06:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
Agreed. I always cringe when people cite the "220-age" formula.

The problem is that a lot of the data in training (zones, for example) are all based on the max HR.
Yeah, but it's easily adjusted to LHR with a little extra data collection.
Old 01-25-18, 12:00 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
(220 - age) is not a good metric to go by.

The Myth Of ?Maximum Heart Rate = 220-Age? | TRIMORE Fitness
It is terrible how much this bogus formula is referred to still! The cardiologist who came up with it disowned it decades ago.

Don in Austin
Old 01-25-18, 12:02 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ironwood
Has the OP ever thought about discussing this with a cardiologist?
Sad tp say, all too many cardiologists will say 220- your age!

Don
Old 01-25-18, 12:06 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Over enough hard and varied rides I think that you can see close to your max heart rate eventually. You're supposed to get good and warmed up, gradually crank up the effort going up a hill and then hit it as hard as you can and check the HR just after you give out.
You need a mean pit bull at your heels for true maximum!

Originally Posted by wphamilton
The problem is if you get too tired before getting to that final effort and can't truly max out. I'll see it sometimes on rolling hills.

It's more logical to base everything on lactate threshold or anaerobic threshold, because those are actually meaningful and easier to come by.
Old 01-25-18, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
Sad tp say, all too many cardiologists will say 220- your age!

Don
They will indeed. Now If he/she thinks you're fit enough and you are willing to pay out of pocket for a true stress test..
Old 01-25-18, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Try this - you'll have to convert your height (feet/inches) to centimeters, and your weight in pounds to kilograms, but it includes a box for cardiac patients (like me).

https://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/hrmax
Old 01-25-18, 02:14 PM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Try this - you'll have to convert your height (feet/inches) to centimeters, and your weight in pounds to kilograms, but it includes a box for cardiac patients (like me).

That happens to be a lot closer to what I think mine is, but in playing with it, the max HR seems to not depend at all on height/weight, and is only used to calculate the BMI.
Old 01-25-18, 02:46 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by Bald Paul

Better, but still 12 beats lower than observed.
Old 01-25-18, 05:33 PM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Better, but still 12 beats lower than observed.
My deviation was 12 beats from tested, in the opposite direction. I guess that's how averages are formed.
Old 01-25-18, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The positive side of the 220 - age formula is that I routinely get "epic" suffer scores on my Strava premium. It is not uncommon for me to get "points in the red" for 50 plus miles on my longer weekend rides these days. The truth is I am not really working that hard, proof that generic formulas are pretty much worthless.
Old 01-25-18, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rudebob
The positive side of the 220 - age formula is that I routinely get "epic" suffer scores on my Strava premium. It is not uncommon for me to get "points in the red" for 50 plus miles on my longer weekend rides these days. The truth is I am not really working that hard, proof that generic formulas are pretty much worthless.
You can't set the heart rate zones on premium? I only have the free version so it doesn't display a suffer score (I suppose that's analogous to Training Stress on Training Peaks). I'm surprised it would use 220-age.
Old 01-25-18, 07:17 PM
Señor Member

You can't set the heart rate zones on premium? I only have the free version so it doesn't display a suffer score (I suppose that's analogous to Training Stress on Training Peaks). I'm surprised it would use 220-age.
Sure you can. I don't really remember myself, but I suspect when you first sign up it chooses a default - probably 220-age or some such. But you can go in and edit it and set it to whatever you want. Under Settings/Performance. Same place you set the FTP.
Old 01-25-18, 07:20 PM
Señor Member

Here it is. You can do it based on max, or choose custom zones.
Attached Images
File Type: png
hrzones.png (10.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 01-25-18, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can input your own, if you know it. I don't know what exact formula they use. My default on Strava is at 172, where the 220-age formula would put me at 166-so that is not exact either. I have never messed with it as I don't really know my max rate. I hit 186 two weeks ago on a ride that was not over the edge so neither formula is correct for me.
Old 01-26-18, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Has the OP ever thought about discussing this with a cardiologist?
Probably a good idea when it comes to something as serious as this.
The cardiologist might prescribe OP some Beta-Blockers, which should settle his heart down.
I have Tachycardia due to a chest deformity, and I take Beta-Blockers and it works like a charm.
Old 01-28-18, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If I believed the part about the grade, I'd be impressed. Heck, if it was half that grade I'd be impressed.
Old 02-04-18, 02:25 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please be careful...I will tell you why.

When my effort goes up, my blood pressure goes up faster. At the 80% threshold (using 220-age), my BP is not happy, nor is my ticker. Funky extra and skipped beats start to happen.

I can't tell when either is occurring.

Stress tests over the past 18 months have pointed this out, as did my training at cardiac rehab.

In other words, I am in my 60th year, not my 25th. It is not a signal of defeat, but I have to monitor my workout and be MODERATE - I aim more toward 65% of MHR and stay in the so-called fat burning range. I can still ride, both a long way and relatively fast for an old fat boy, but my goal is to be able to hike all day, play with my dogs without passing out, and to have a decent musculature. Medical research is beginning to understand "Athlete's Heart" and the problems that sustained high intensity cardio exercise can cause - I see no reason to push like I am a 25 year old, as that really isn't getting fit, it's just for bragging rights (paraphrasing my cardiologist, who was an Olympic distance runner).
Old 02-04-18, 02:52 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Ignore your maximum HR. Even thinking about it is IME, stupid. If you want zones, base them off your lactate threshold. If you don't know what that is, you can test and find it. There's a sticky in Training and Nutrition, plus you can google up other tests and systems for determining zones from LTHR.
Old 02-04-18, 06:58 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by david58

When my effort goes up, my blood pressure goes up faster. At the 80% threshold (using 220-age),
But you should NOT use 220-age. That formula has been totally discredited for decades.

Don in Austin

my BP is not happy, nor is my ticker. Funky extra and skipped beats start to happen.

Stress tests over the past 18 months have pointed this out, as did my training at cardiac rehab.

In other words, I am in my 60th year, not my 25th. It is not a signal of defeat, but I have to monitor my workout and be MODERATE - I aim more toward 65% of MHR and stay in the so-called fat burning range. I can still ride, both a long way and relatively fast for an old fat boy, but my goal is to be able to hike all day, play with my dogs without passing out, and to have a decent musculature. Medical research is beginning to understand "Athlete's Heart" and the problems that sustained high intensity cardio exercise can cause - I see no reason to push like I am a 25 year old, as that really isn't getting fit, it's just for bragging rights (paraphrasing my cardiologist, who was an Olympic distance runner).
Old 02-04-18, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
But you should NOT use 220-age. That formula has been totally discredited for decades.

Don in Austin
Understood, Don. The point is that working to MHR is not wise, and other things can be going on well before that which you will not necessarily notice.
Old 02-09-18, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

When my effort goes up, my blood pressure goes up faster. At the 80% threshold (using 220-age), my BP is not happy, nor is my ticker. Funky extra and skipped beats start to happen.

If you have cardiovascular issues, then of course you should be careful. However, generalising from your particular case to suggest that high intensity exercise isn't for old people is quite wrong. There's a host of recent evidence to suggest that high intensity interval training is no less effective for older people than for young athletes, and seems to be much more beneficial for various metabolic markers than is just plodding along for hours. "Athlete's heart" isn't caused by going hard for short periods, it seems to be much more related to going hardish for very long periods.
Old 02-09-18, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tourisme
If you have cardiovascular issues, then of course you should be careful. However, generalising from your particular case to suggest that high intensity exercise isn't for old people is quite wrong. There's a host of recent evidence to suggest that high intensity interval training is no less effective for older people than for young athletes, and seems to be much more beneficial for various metabolic markers than is just plodding along for hours. "Athlete's heart" isn't caused by going hard for short periods, it seems to be much more related to going hardish for very long periods.
I try not to extrapolate only from my experience. You are right, interval training is good, and is likely in many ways the best way to train. And, also very correct, Athlete's Heart seems to be originating from long periods of high (or "Hardish" - I like the word and will steal it) effort.
I will reiterate my "be careful" statement, though. I cannot tell when, in the midst of higher efforts, when my heart is skipping or adding beats, or the ol' ECG waveform simply does not look right. The issue with that is not that there is a skipped beat here and there, but that I don't want those parts of the muscle to recruit other cells to join their dance, so to speak.
Get the stress test. It is a large percentage of folks that have their first experience with a heart attack be the one they die from. I was fortunate, at about 10,000' in the New Mexico mountains mine came on and it was mild enough that we could get me out of the woods and to the hospital. With the condition I was found to have, my normal hill-climbing efforts on a bike could have simply put me in the ditch and that would have been that. Get the stress test.
I have come to teh conclusion that I can concede a partial victory to age, for I am almost 60, not almost 30. I can reminisce about the miles and miles we ran in Converse All-Stars (on the road...), the mountains I was able to climb, and even the cycling achievements of my 50's (started late). I look forward to more climbs to high mountain rivers to catch wild trout, more hiking and hunting with my dogs, and many, many more miles on my various bikes. But I have come to understand my limitations, I think, and came to realize that I cannot train like a young man anymore. It took ticker issues that I was totally unaware of to bring me to THAT realization (along with some really mean cardiac rehab nurses). That, again, is why I urge caution...
Old 02-09-18, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Boggles the mind all this emphasis on MHR. Certainly that is a mildly useful number for pro racers. For the rest of us what we are actually in need of is a measure of how our whole body is doing.

That measure is Work Of Breathing. Part of that was posted before.
-Easy exercise is when a person can carry on a conversation with little or no perceived difficulty.
-Max is when a person is gasping and cannot speak except with a great deal of difficulty.
-Unable to speak is entering, or in the anerobic zone and should not be attempted except for very brief periods.

A lot is going on in a person's body when exercising. Work of breathing sums it all up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.