Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Favorite route, loop or out/back ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Favorite route, loop or out/back ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I don't have a particular "favorite" but have a long list of favorites. Just depends on the day and my mood where I go. Always loops.
Old 02-09-18, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I wouldn't say this is a "favorite," but it's somewhat typical.

Dentist->Apple Store dropoff->Flour->Apple Store pickup->H Mart->Starbucks->Beer&Wine->WFM loop:

-mr. bill
Old 02-09-18, 01:36 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I wonder if some of the preferences for loops vs. out an back rides may be geographic.

Here in the Northeast, we have a network of roads that dates back to the horse and buggy era. So there's a fine network of good secondary roads to choose from. For example, here in the northern suburbs of NYC, I can do dozens of 100 mile loops never using the same roads twice, except for the first and last few miles near home.

OTOH - I've been places, especially in the mountains, where roads are fewer and the options are far more limited. In some places I've ridden, the shortest possible loop may be well over 100 miles. By example look at DiabloScott's regular climb. I don't believe there's another road from the summit, but even if there were, it might end in the next valley with a long rode around the mountain the the next pass back.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-09-18, 01:40 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I wouldn't say this is a "favorite," but it's somewhat typical.

Dentist->Apple Store dropoff->Flour->Apple Store pickup->H Mart->Starbucks->Beer&Wine.....
An interesting point demonstrating a difference between utility cycling, which is about connecting dots by the shortest or most efficient route, vs. recreational cycling which may be less about destination and more about the route itself.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-09-18, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Most of my riding is errands and commuting. I typically let Strava roll for the day.

But, I find myself often thinking about how to make my return trip take different roads than the out trip, which also means trying to remember where the heck I rode on the first leg of the trip.

It can make it even more complex to try to eliminate overlapping segments, or cross-overs.

Actually, I think of many of my rides as "spermatozoa rides". Usually with a few mile tail heading off to the house, and then a loop around town.

I can partly eliminate the "tail", but don't really like the alternative roads.

My trips to Portland (about 150 miles) do re-use quite a few of the roads, but I'm not beyond exploring a bit with that too.

I posted this a while ago. Both shared roads, unshared roads, and unique segments, and a few shortcuts. That did cover a few days.

Old 02-09-18, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
I try to get my routes to be loops, seem smore like a ride than a workout.
Up to 25 miles here I do out & back routes...

I enjoy the loops more, though the shortest one is 32 miles .

My favorite route is a 45 mile loop thru the windmills.

Your favorite route ?
Loop, or out/back
Originally Posted by canklecat
Often I have only an hour to hour and a half to ride, so I ride variations of the same 20-30 mile route
Originally Posted by Maelochs
…I am in the same situation ... i get time for ten-20 miles at a time
Lack of time due to work and family activities is also my bugaboo. Other than my weekday one-way commute (usually take a train home), often my long Saturday ride is a lengthened route to work (at my convenience, for a few hours), then ride home.

Otherwise, when work is not a destination, I prefer to save time by a loop rather than drive to a destination. Last summer I met a weekend cycling companion, and we decided we would agree on a meeting spot, and then do a loop to return to our cars (which I do not think is a “loop/out-and back” in the sense of this thread).

As @canklecat described, when I might have about two hours to ride from home, I do have several routes, but a favorite, with the least amount of traffic, I call the training loop. I recently described it to a visiting cyclist in Boston:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
  • My favorite urban street ride [from Kenmore Square] is on Commonwealth Avenue (Comm Ave), which passes in front of Back Bay Bikes, becomes the main street through Allston, out for about ten miles then cut back after crossing the Route 128 beltway, back on Rte 16 / Beacon Street…
When loops or out-and–back become too familiar,
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
IMO a loop and out-and-back in a sense are similar because riding the same route in the revese direction makes it “novel.”
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I have probably a dozen out-and-back routes I do regularly, and double that number of loop routes-- so segments I've covered 200+ times.

But my favorite? "The Out." Leave from home or nearby, ride a significant distance in one direction, hop on a train and get a ride home. It brings about a completely different mindset, knowing I won't have to conserve X amount of energy to make the return trip.
I have very nice options as you describe using the Commuter Rail, that I rarely use. My preference is to take the train out, and then ride back, so there are no problems or wasted time making the return connection.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-09-18 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 07:02 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Like Machka, I refer to mix it up with a large variety of rides.

Even on rides that might be more fairly described as out and back, I hate to back track, so I'll return on a parallel course for all but the last mile or two.

In other parts of the world, we might have done that, but around here, the parallel course is often up and over a mountain. So unless we're on a hill climbing ride, we end up sticking to somewhat flatter ground.
Old 02-09-18, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
In other parts of the world, we might have done that, but around here, the parallel course is often up and over a mountain. So unless we're on a hill climbing ride, we end up sticking to somewhat flatter ground.
Hmmm, sometimes over a mountain is good.

One of the other issues, of course, is distance. Sometimes adding a loop adds enough distance that it makes the difference between a long one day ride, and a short two day ride.
Old 02-09-18, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Machka
See post #28 where I posit the effect of local landscape on the loop vs. out and back decision.

Old 02-09-18, 11:14 PM

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
When I ride from my driveway, I ride more often
when I have to load up to go ride , I ride a lot less.
I’ve learned a lot about my areas .

Only a few Loops here .
riding them alternate directions depending on time & weather helps
change them up.
Old 02-10-18, 05:30 AM

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
I'm a looper, and like to mix it up with 20-30 milers. A neighbor also rides these loops, but our schedules don't jive. I have two other neighbors that are strictly out & backers. One, the same twenty mile route, over and over. The other (a bent) likes company, however I can't keep up with him for long. So we all ride solo.
Old 02-10-18, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
When I ride from my driveway, I ride more often
when I have to load up to go ride , I ride a lot less.
I’ve learned a lot about my areas .

Only a few Loops here .
riding them alternate directions depending on time & weather helps
change them up.
I have posted previously:
... Appropos of this comment, for the past few years after doing training rides all around [Metro Boston] as a [two-dimensional] entirety, I know them [rides] as [linear, one dimensional] routes with peculiar things I note as landmarks. It becomes very satisfying when I ride a new route and it suddenly intercepts a familiar route in the same neighborhood, and that neighborhood now becomes more of a [two-dimensional] entirety to me too.

Often when I meet someone new, I ask them where they live because invariably I’ve ridden through their neighborhood, and that questions spurs a lively conversation.
... A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.” So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-10-18 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 07:22 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
My preference is to ride a loop. Sometimes the out and back is more practical.
Old 02-10-18, 08:26 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I prefer a loop, and sometimes I plan one, but sometimes I just explore.
Old 02-10-18, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I prefer a loop, and sometimes I plan one, but sometimes I just explore.
Originally Posted by locolobo13
My preference is to ride a loop. Sometimes the out and back is more practical.
+1 on “practical”
Mostly , my out & backs are time & need a workout driven,

Not sure why but most of us like loops . Maybe a race track thing .

A little road improvement/maintenance
would create more good loops here in SoCal. But not expecting that anytime soon.

They have 55 mph speed limits on
Narrow roads that are worse than cobble ... where missing all the obstacles , like vehicle parts, cracks & pot holes in potholes .. even furniture parts is impossible

Last edited by bogydave; 02-10-18 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 09:03 AM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
My 'standard' is our Wednesday night shop ride, as I 100% support my LBS and know a lot of the guys. it's about 36 miles with 2600 climbing. Many of the regional racers show up for this, including several development teams - it can be a lot of fun. And hard. Aside from that, I'm always looking for new roads and routes. I spend a lot of time picking apart rides on Strava, and finding new routes on Ride with GPS. I recently found a decent little 'lunch ride' near my office that I can mix flats with hills for a decent 1-1.5 hr ride. I'm sure I'll play with that for a while to make a really good training course. Lately I've been into gravel, so that has widened the choices twofold - but it does take a bit of travel.
Old 02-10-18, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Personally, I've found that good loop makes me feel like I've accomplished something, not just ridden something. Loops take commitment, as I can't cut 'em short!

+1 on “practical”
Mostly , my out & backs are time & need a workout driven,

Not sure why but most of us like loops . Maybe a race track thing .

A little road improvement/maintenance
would create more good loops here in SoCal. But not expecting that anytime soon.

They have 55 mph speed limits on
Narrow roads that are worse than cobble ... where missing all the obstacles , like vehicle parts, cracks & pot holes in potholes .. even furniture parts is impossible
Old 02-10-18, 10:32 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
In the US, where we drive on the right, I try to do clockwise loops, which minimize the number of left turns required. I have heard that UPS does something similar to reduce traffic delays. I make an exception if a particular road is much more bike-friendly in one direction than the other, for whatever reason, such as high-speed merges and diverges.

I do a lot of out-and-backs, as well, since I live a km from the edge of the continent, with almost instant access to iconic Pacific Coast Highway 101. Home-to-campus (UCSD) and back is about a 50km loop, with one pretty good climb (Torrey Pines, for those familiar with the area) on the way in. Home-to-Oceanside Harbor is another favorite, a bit shorter and more level.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-10-18, 11:22 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
With an out and back the trick is to know when you're halfway tired and it's time to turn around. With a loop, unless it's a single long loop, the trick is knowing whether or not to start another lap. I've made some bad decisions, both too long and too short, on both kinds of routes.

Over all, I much prefer a loop route.
Old 02-10-18, 02:35 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
With a loop, unless it's a single long loop, the trick is knowing whether or not to start another lap.
if you start a lap too many on a loop ... unfortunately is it a federal crime to backtrack.
Old 02-10-18, 02:54 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The outiest and backiest route ever.

Old 02-10-18, 03:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
AMS, Shiphol Airport, has been a good place to start and return to , on my bike tours..

I liked the bike paths from there , to ride away from and return to that terminal..
Old 02-10-18, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live on the far NW Side of Chicago near the North Branch Trail. From the start of this, you can do a short loop from 32-36 miles, a longer loop 54-58 miles, all on paved asphalt, or continue on gravel for >100 miles up to Wisconsin and back. I am very fortunate to have this just two blocks from my house.
Old 02-10-18, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The outiest and backiest route ever.

Wow
Now that’s
A “out/back”
Old 02-11-18, 11:05 AM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I like roads with very little traffic and where I live some of them are dead ends so a certain amount of backtracking required. Also the ride to Pinnacles National Park is nice, which is an out and back of 60 miles from home.

I do prefer a loop though and have a few different ones I do regularly in the 40 mile range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.