Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is your “Go-to” nutrition/hydration strategy during long distance rides?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is your “Go-to” nutrition/hydration strategy during long distance rides?

Old 03-05-18, 11:48 AM
Hondo Gravel
misanthrope

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Around a gallon of water in my Osprey Raptor hydration pack. Cliffbars, Ritz crackers, sometimes pretzels. Eat every 60-90 minutes.
Old 03-05-18, 12:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Around a gallon of water in my Osprey Raptor hydration pack
Old 03-05-18, 01:21 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: 1986 , 87 , 88 , 89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Usually a bagel and orange juice before a long ride (50 miles or more) always out and back. So for 50 miles it's a sweet tea at 25 miles and ride back. Less than 50 only water. More than fifty it's a banana on the way and a stop for a Dr. Pepper and a package of peanut butter crackers on the way back.
I don't take any supplements but am considering them. Reportedly some are tainted with steroids especially the bulk ones from other countries.
Old 03-06-18, 06:07 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
There is an 85 mile ride I do a few times per year for many years and that has driven my food/water strategy for longer rides.

Before the ride: coffee, banana, bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter.

First rest stop is a convenience store at 35 miles - by then I have nearly emptied a 20 oz water bottle and I buy a large (32 oz) and some fig bars - fill up the water bottle, drink the rest.

Second rest stop is at 65 miles - repeat, maybe with a protein bar instead of fig bars.

In the summer, I'll carry 2 water bottles and drink more/buy more replacement fluids, but eat about the same.

That pattern seems to work well for any long ride. When I do supported group rides where there are staffed rest stops, I find I'm doing about the same thing - I'm leaving a lot of food on the table! That said, I'm carrying a lot of stored energy distributed around my waist...

I've never been a stop and have a long lunch kind of rider - any thing longer than a 15 minute or so stop seems to make me feel worse!
Old 03-06-18, 02:09 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Around a gallon of water in my Osprey Raptor hydration pack.
Wow, a gallon? that's like 8 1/3 pounds of water. How far do you ride and do you drink the whole gallon? Are there no places to stop for water refills?
Old 03-06-18, 07:21 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Last year, on the day before a longer ride, I made an effort to drink a lot of water.
That seemed to help. If I am riding more than two hours, I start drinking a half-hour in and start eating at about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Before a long ride I will usually eat yogurt and a banana.
Old 03-06-18, 07:53 PM
caloso
Packfodding 3

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
For those who drink only water, especially in large quantities, I would encourage you to be mindful of electrolytes. Hyponatremia is a thing. Drink some sports drink or eat something salty.
Old 03-06-18, 08:33 PM
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jpescatore View Post
I've never been a stop and have a long lunch kind of rider - any thing longer than a 15 minute or so stop seems to make me feel worse!
I know what you mean. Around minute 16, I start muttering to myself, why am I doing this. Very demoralizing.
Old 03-10-18, 03:11 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Up to 50 miles - water (electrolytes during the summer), an almond bar and a Slim Jim.
60 miles and over - water, an almond bar every 25 miles, a Slim Jim every 25 miles and one or two packets of baby food.
after ride - a package of cheese crackers and a glass of chocolate milk.

If it's on a charity ride, I'll grab a banana or whatever they have at the SAG stop. Don't normally eat too much when riding as I don't do well on a full stomach.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-13-18, 08:41 PM
big john

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I know what you mean. Around minute 16, I start muttering to myself, why am I doing this. Very demoralizing.
I've never experienced that. I don't mind a long stop and on organized centuries I always stop at all the rest areas and eat. I did the Lighthouse century 5 times and they had a huge lunch spread with hot drinks and desserts and I love that.
When I do hilly club rides over 65 miles or so I like to stop and eat at a relaxed pace and so do some of my friends.
Sometimes on our short Sunday rides we sit around talking for 30 or 40 minutes, it's great.
Old 03-14-18, 01:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
For those who drink only water, especially in large quantities, I would encourage you to be mindful of electrolytes. Hyponatremia is a thing. Drink some sports drink or eat something salty.
Yep ...

We eat potato chips at rest stops and take electrolyte tablets along the way.
Old 03-14-18, 05:41 AM
Lazyass

Bikes: '17 Diamondback Podium E'tape Disc, '11 Focus Culebro, lots of vintage steel

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
40 miles or less is one water bottle (two if it's middle of summer). No food unless I ride before breakfeast and then I bring a chewy gronola bar. The cheap kind you can get for like $3 a box. Over 40 I carry two water bottles and a couple of granola bars. Never drink anything but water, even at meals.

If I do a 100K or century ride it's usually a charity ride with food and drink at the rest stops so I don't carry much.

Lance Armstong said he lived on stroopwafel's in the TDF. Those waffle things with caramel syrup inside. Empty calories but he never bonked. Find what works for you can stick with it, it's not always those overpriced super duper energy bars that attract you with a cool looking wrapper and hip sounding name.

Old 03-14-18, 07:48 AM
big john

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Originally Posted by WNCGoater View Post
Wow, a gallon? that's like 8 1/3 pounds of water. How far do you ride and do you drink the whole gallon? Are there no places to stop for water refills?
On hot rides off-road or closed roads I have carried a 100oz Camelbak plus a large bottle. A gallon isn't enough for some rides.