Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You folks have any luck selling on Craigslist?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

You folks have any luck selling on Craigslist?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 02:27 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
If you priced your bike based upon the bicycle blue book you can expect to see it quickly reposted for about double. They tend to greatly undervalue their bike prices.

Experiment and see what works.
That could well be. I don't care. I just want to sell the bike without a lot of hassle. I once took a pickup truck full of stuff from my garage to a swap meet, and sold all the stuff within a few minutes while waiting in line to get in at 5 a.m.

I knew they were going to turn around and resell it later in the swap meet and probably make a few bucks. Didn't care. I got a fair price (to me) and got to go home before breakfast.

Same principle here. I'm happy if I get this price; while I hope the bike's going to someone who's gonna ride the heck out of it, if instead he flips it at twice the price, it doesn't matter.

That said, I appreciate what you also said about where to meet these folks. I'll probably do the same.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-16-18, 04:37 PM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
That could well be. I don't care. I just want to sell the bike without a lot of hassle. I once took a pickup truck full of stuff from my garage to a swap meet, and sold all the stuff within a few minutes while waiting in line to get in at 5 a.m.

I knew they were going to turn around and resell it later in the swap meet and probably make a few bucks. Didn't care. I got a fair price (to me) and got to go home before breakfast.

Same principle here. I'm happy if I get this price; while I hope the bike's going to someone who's gonna ride the heck out of it, if instead he flips it at twice the price, it doesn't matter.

That said, I appreciate what you also said about where to meet these folks. I'll probably do the same.
I’ve done the same at times and have no regrets. Sometimes just to make someone’s day when they hand me the cash and I hand a good portion of it back to them. Once in awhile if I just want something to move I’ll put “come and get it” in the posting and often one of the several main bike resellers will contact me. And sometimes I get it ridable and then donate the bike to a local thrift shop.

Good luck with the sale. Hopefully whoever buys it will put a thousand miles on it before Labor Day.
Old 03-16-18, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've sold a great many bikes, kayaks, skis & boots, acoustic guitars, etc. on Craigslist. In each case I used the proceeds of several sales to buy new items of much higher quality, trading up each time, with profit left over in the end. Example: I started out with an old plywood guitar and a dried out, cracked violin. Within 5 sales I bought a $3000 Taylor acoustic guitar. Four bikes in my basement were enough to buy a custom bike. Top-of-the-line kayak took 8 sales. These were all items I never could have afforded otherwise.

You can be cynical about Craigslist, or you can have fun with it and make a profit. I traveled all over New England buying and selling guitars, bikes, and kayaks through Craigslist. I didn't mind delivering things---it was fun. I visited new places. I met some interesting people. I only ever made one bad purchase. No problems at all with the sales. For me the key to success was being honest with people. If a bike didn't fit them or a kayak was beyond their ability level I told them that.

There is a big market for used commuter bikes in college towns like Boston.

Last edited by GetUpnGo; 03-16-18 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 06:51 PM

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
I've sold few things on CL.
One rule I've learned is that you have to be patient - and learn how to detect scams and you can also have some fun instead of getting with the fake buyer.
Don't give your phone number on first reply, even if the other side provides theirs - good to be on safe side always - and all phones nowadays can quickly access email, so using CL relay email already gives you all tools needed for communication.

This is the email I was exchanging with 'buyer' today

From: James Miller <378a10630f0f3609a5abd0785cda6a80@reply.craigslist.org>
I’m interested, Can I send a cashiers check for the sale, I’ll arrange pickup once check clears and you get your cash.
https:// your craiglist post

Me:
Hunm.... really? Why you will pick up later?
If you are really interested, I can meet you around Seattle area.

Am in New York

Me:
Well, and why u looking Seattle CL? 😁
Where in NY?
Who will pick the bike?
Isn't just better to buy a new one on online store?
No? ✌

Wanna arrange a private mover for it

Me:
Cool.
But are you form Seattle NY, or Redmond NY?

Brooklyn

Me:
Oh yeah - which part of it?

Long Island

Me:
Brooklyn or Long Island? I am confused now.
U close to JFK?
Old 03-16-18, 07:08 PM

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
I've sold few things on CL.
One rule I've learned is that you have to be patient - and learn how to detect scams and you can also have some fun instead of getting with the fake buyer.
Don't give your phone number on first reply, even if the other side provides theirs - good to be on safe side always - and all phones nowadays can quickly access email, so using CL relay email already gives you all tools needed for communication.

This is the email I was exchanging with 'buyer' today

I’m interested, Can I send a cashiers check for the sale, I’ll arrange pickup once check clears and you get your cash.
https:// your craiglist post

Me:
Hunm.... really? Why you will pick up later?
If you are really interested, I can meet you around Seattle area.

Am in New York

Me:
Well, and why u looking Seattle CL? 😁
Where in NY?
Who will pick the bike?
Isn't just better to buy a new one on online store?
No? ✌

Wanna arrange a private mover for it

Me:
Cool.
But are you form Seattle NY, or Redmond NY?

Brooklyn

Me:
Oh yeah - which part of it?

Long Island

Me:
Brooklyn or Long Island? I am confused now.
U close to JFK?
Lol, totally a scammer.
Old 03-18-18, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never sold bikes, on CL. I've sold a couple of other things and never had problems, except when I've listed things in the free section. Good grief are the people looking for free stuff ever a picky lot. "Can you deliver it to Appleton?" (20 miles away). No, sorry. Pick up only. "I don't like the color. Do you have it in a different color?" No, I'm not a store, I just have the one. After both instances, I was sworn at. Never again. Free stuff goes to the parkway with a free sign. It's always gone within an hour or two and nobody gives me any torment.
Old 03-18-18, 02:59 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I've always had good luck selling on CL, including two road bikes about a year ago and several cars. But I'll admit that I underprice things just so that I sell them quickly and easily. In the case of my bikes, I at least felt good that they were going to good homes!
Old 03-24-18, 10:49 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I sold Mrs. Jones, my 2012 Masi, yesterday, but not through CL. I tried a couple of FB "for sale" groups in the area, and it sold quickly and painlessly. Had about 3 serious buyers lined up, and it was simply a matter of waiting for the weather to cooperate. We had a bunch of snow the last week or ten days. Anyway, it sold for the price I wanted; the buyer was a pretty serious cyclist who will give Mrs. Jones a great new home. Thanks for all the advice!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay