Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Would a different saddle help?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-02-18, 03:57 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Returned to cycling after three years on a mostly stock Sirrus Elite (2015). Of course, my butt is sore. Really sore.

Wondering if a different saddle might help during the transition get my butt used to this, or is it just a matter of patience and time? If so, any recommendations? Everything else is fine - knees, thighs, arms, even neck.

Someday, I'll get a Brooks. But for now...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-02-18, 05:01 PM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Assuming you're properly fitted on the bike, give it patience and time. My first few rides from winter hibernation always results in a sore butt for a few days.
Old 04-02-18, 08:10 PM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds like you've been off the bike for a while? Give yourself time to acclimate to the saddle. Gradually increase time on the bike. If after a while you still feel uncomfortable, a different saddle may be the cure. When I started riding, I went through 3 before I found one that worked for me. 4th seats the charm I guess! It needs to be wide enough for your sit bones, once I got that right it has been nice riding.
Old 04-02-18, 08:46 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,379 Posts
Best butt conditioning is about 1/2 hour on the bike, every day or almost. Wrong saddle width is frequently the cause of butt pain. See your LBS.
Old 04-03-18, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I recently took my old bike on a vacation. I rode it for a couple of days before leaving and my butt was sore. I swapped out the Brooks from my newer bike and that made a big difference on the vacation. So, yes the saddle can make a big difference. Now I am back at step one on where I go from here. I like the Brooks but it isn't perfect. So should I just order a second Brooks or start experimenting with alternate saddles with the old bike?
Old 04-03-18, 10:35 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
If your butt just can't get comfy with the current saddle try a Selle Anatomica. I have an X series on both of my bikes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-03-18, 11:02 AM

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
“Wondering if a different saddle might help during the transition get my butt used to this, or is it just a matter of patience and time?”

Both

You are searching for the “holy grail “
A saddle good for the 20 mile
rides & also for the 50 - 100 + mile rides.
Gotta find one to fit your bones &&&
Condition your bones to sit on a 4” wide padded seat for hours
Old 04-03-18, 11:14 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
“Wondering if a different saddle might help during the transition get my butt used to this, or is it just a matter of patience and time?”

Both

You are searching for the “holy grail “
A saddle good for the 20 mile
rides & also for the 50 - 100 + mile rides.
Gotta find one to fit your bones &&&
Condition your bones to sit on a 4” wide padded seat for hours
I think I am going to look for another saddle. I know it's partly a matter of getting conditioned to the saddle, but if it's the wrong saddle, why bother?

The one that comes with the bike is a $35 very basic saddle. While I can get used to it, I remember three years ago never quite feeling good about it when I first got the bike. I've never done a saddle search. How can you tell before you invest that it's going to be worth the investment? I mean, I doubt you can return one to the LBS, right?

Do most LBS have something you can sit on to get measured and/or fitted for a saddle?

Old 04-03-18, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Your butt bones need to get numbed up, lol. That's an issue with any saddle. After that, then you can figure out what is comfortable. If you really can't stand it right now, buy a cheap saddle gel cover that you can toss after a week or two.

To measure your sit bones, get a piece of corrugated cardboard (maybe cut from a box) and set in on a step and sit on it. The depressions will be your sit bones; measure center to center of the depression and that's the width of your sit bones. Cheap and easy version of the Specialized device.

As I said at first, I'd ride your current saddle (with or without gel) a week or two so you can get your butt toughened up and THEN go look for a new saddle. Otherwise, you may be misled by tenderness that will go away shortly.
Old 04-03-18, 11:28 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Your butt bones need to get numbed up, lol. That's an issue with any saddle. After that, then you can figure out what is comfortable. If you really can't stand it right now, buy a cheap saddle gel cover that you can toss after a week or two.

To measure your sit bones, get a piece of corrugated cardboard (maybe cut from a box) and set in on a step and sit on it. The depressions will be your sit bones; measure center to center of the depression and that's the width of your sit bones. Cheap and easy version of the Specialized device.

As I said at first, I'd ride your current saddle (with or without gel) a week or two so you can get your butt toughened up and THEN go look for a new saddle. Otherwise, you may be misled by tenderness that will go away shortly.
That's a great suggestion. I'll do that first.

Old 04-03-18, 11:49 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I give a saddle a hundred miles or so before I give up on it.
Old 04-03-18, 02:50 PM

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I think I am going to look for another saddle. I know it's partly a matter of getting conditioned to the saddle, but if it's the wrong saddle, why bother?

The one that comes with the bike is a $35 very basic saddle. While I can get used to it, I remember three years ago never quite feeling good about it when I first got the bike. I've never done a saddle search. How can you tell before you invest that it's going to be worth the investment? I mean, I doubt you can return one to the LBS, right?

Do most LBS have something you can sit on to get measured and/or fitted for a saddle?
Some LBS have demo saddles you can try for a week or so
to find one that fits you
then buy that model from them.
Old 04-04-18, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I've never done a saddle search. How can you tell before you invest that it's going to be worth the investment? I mean, I doubt you can return one to the LBS, right?
I'm not sure you can. Most can't tell if a saddle is the right one before they do some 40-50-60 mile rides. Well, at least I can't. If it is comfortable for 40 miles, it certainly should be comfortable for 20 miles. But not necessarily the reverse. I can ride almost anything for 20 miles.
And price doesn't necessarily mean it will work better for you. Some have great success with stock saddles or even cheap saddles.

You could "invest" in a Brooks or a Selle Anatomica. The safety in that is, they each have a very high satisfaction rate that almost borders on cult-like and if it doesn't work for you, you can get almost all of your money back out of it quickly in a resell.
Old 04-04-18, 03:00 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
taking the saddle off the peg wall and setting it on a wooden chair seem an adequate way to plonk your backside on it?
Old 04-04-18, 07:45 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
In my case saddle comfort depends on my own conditioning. The wider, padded saddles that came with my bikes were initially comfortable for quite awhile. But in 2015 I was coming from a point of poor physical conditioning. I hadn't done much more than some walking for several years after a car wreck, and still used a cane for longer walks until 2014.

So I sat very heavily in the wide, padded springy saddle on the comfort hybrid I bought in 2015 to resume cycling. That bike has a spring suspension fork and I added fatter tires to reduce the road shock even more. Experienced cycling friends would give well meaning but useless advice such as "Your arms and legs are your shock absorbers!" Yeah, right. I offered to trade busted necks with them for awhile. No takers.

A year later I got a rigid frame hybrid with less upright riding position and a padded, but less thickly padded saddle without springs. Took awhile to get accustomed to. I even added wider, softer tires. And swapped out the supplied flat handlebar for the riser bar from my comfort hybrid.

Last summer, two years after resuming cycling, I got my first drop bar road bike in more than 30 years. It came with a Lycra fabric over dense foam saddle that was comfortable at first... for awhile. That bike demanded a huge adjustment. I had to do more than just ride a bike. I had to increase my upper body conditioning -- not just stretching but pushups, etc., and some homebrewed kettlebell exercises (I use plastic jugs from cat litter, now filled with water).

By January I was tired of that saddle. Never could find the sweet spot. Turns out my butt sit bones are much narrower than I'd realized. I needed a 131mm wide saddle, narrower even than the common 140-145mm road bike saddles. The saddles that came with my bikes ranged from 165mm to much wider. As my leg and arm strength gradually improved, and I sat less heavily in the saddle, that width became a liability.

After more than two months and 600 miles, I'm satisfied with the narrow, relatively firm Selle Italia road bike saddle. Even wearing my most thinly padded AeroTech Pro shorts (the faux-chamois is really just a semi-thick hank of microfiber, not gel foam or anything like that). It's a keeper.

But it took more than two years to get my body back into that kind of shape.

So for now you might try a saddle that will get you through that period of reconditioning, and swap to another saddle later. If I had my druthers, I might have tried a Selle Italia Q-Bik saddle last year -- it's shaped like my Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio, but with a bit more padding, a bit wider, and with a perineum relief cutout. In fact, I may get that Q-Bik for my hybrid.
Old 04-08-18, 05:55 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
My butt is a limiting factor in how long I can ride. I tried a number of different saddles before I found one my butt liked. Good saddles can be expensive and there's no guarantee that you can just go out and buy comfort. You will need to spend some time in the saddle conditioning your tissue. That's inescapable. There are ways to avoid throwing money on top of money at a problem. Some shops have a bin of take-off saddles they will let you try or buy cheap. Certain manufacturers have a demo program. ISM is one of them. You pay a fee to rent a saddle for a week. If you want it, your fee goes toward the purchase price. You can also try another one before you decide. That's how I arrived at the ISM Adamo Typhoon that allowed me to ride my first century.

I can all but guarantee you that an ISM PR 3.0 will transform the bicycling experience for you. They aren't cheap, and for a cheapo like me it was hard to make the leap, but it allowed me to truly enjoy the cycling experience in a way I otherwise would not have.
Old 04-09-18, 06:07 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Deege, head to a Specialized dealer that is trained in the Body Geometry (BG) fitting system and have them do the "sit bones" fitting for you. Then you will have a good idea about how wide a saddle to look into. Getting it placed is next, that one is something you can do also. Lots of vids on youtube about this, check there and watch a few first.

And, keep in mind @BluesDawg 's old saying, "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt."

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-09-18, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Specialized has a thirty day return policy if you buy direct from them. I bought a Power saddle that I ended up hating and returned with no problem.
Old 04-09-18, 11:36 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everybody, for all the advice and suggestions. I did order this cover but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. We've had a lot of rain, and my GF's mother suffered a stroke, so I haven't been out riding at all. Now I'm about to do two weeks of business travel, so all of this has to wait until I get back.

When that happens, my calendar is pretty clear and the weather should be cooperating!

Old 04-09-18, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Look 566 - Raleigh Mountain Deore (1988)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Digital Gee,

a few years back, my butt + neck + lower back + feet all ached when I reached the 25 miles distance. I was on the point of quitting it all . I tried a Toupe Gel Specialized 139 mm, a Toupe Gel Specialized 143 mm, a Bontrager affinity R , all these saddles were ridden at least 125 miles. Tried a Brooks B 17 for at least 150 miles. Different LBS all fiddled with the usual and various adjustments.

On last resort I went to a LBS that had been highly recommended by many top notch riders around home. The guy was quick with his diagnostic: your bike is too small ! To make a long story short , the next year I bought a new bike (Look 566) that was perfect for my size and a Selle Italia Man Gel Flow saddle. Problems solved !

Best of luck in your search for a better saddle !
Old 04-09-18, 01:51 PM

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by BorderRider
Digital Gee,

a few years back, my butt + neck + lower back + feet all ached when I reached the 25 miles distance. I was on the point of quitting it all . I tried a Toupe Gel Specialized 139 mm, a Toupe Gel Specialized 143 mm, a Bontrager affinity R , all these saddles were ridden at least 125 miles. Tried a Brooks B 17 for at least 150 miles. Different LBS all fiddled with the usual and various adjustments.

On last resort I went to a LBS that had been highly recommended by many top notch riders around home. The guy was quick with his diagnostic: your bike is too small ! To make a long story short , the next year I bought a new bike (Look 566) that was perfect for my size and a Selle Italia Man Gel Flow saddle. Problems solved !

Best of luck in your search for a better saddle !
I like your thinking. A new bike might solve it!
Old 04-15-18, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
In my experience, if you've found the right saddle for your butt, and it's properly adjusted, your butt won't ever hurt, even if you've been off the bike for the winter. (In my case, after months of searching, that saddle was the SMP Drakon.)

Just went for my first ride since Thanksgiving, and no discomfort of any sort after a two-hour ride. Last year, my first ride of the spring was the 5-boro tour of NYC, and even though I had been off the bike for 6 months, 5 hours on the bike gave me no discomfort other than a little chafing on the inside of my left groin area from standing with one leg down waiting for the ride to start. (Which was a lot of stop and go as each group was allowed forward to the start line. So boring.)

Anyway, my point is, while it's time consuming and often feels futile, the quest for the perfect saddle is well worth it! Good Luck!
Old 05-04-18, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat Pressure Relief

Returned to cycling after three years on a mostly stock Sirrus Elite (2015). Of course, my butt is sore. Really sore.

Wondering if a different saddle might help during the transition get my butt used to this, or is it just a matter of patience and time? If so, any recommendations? Everything else is fine - knees, thighs, arms, even neck.

Someday, I'll get a Brooks. But for now...
I rarely have saddle problems on longer rides (3-5 hours) since I developed the habit of standing on the down pedal when coasting. If you have a good bike fit you are barely rising off the seat with your other foot resting on the high pedal. It may be necessary at times to maintain this position at least 15 seconds. Alternately, you can stand on both pedals--requires greater energy expenditure.
Old 05-04-18, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle Choice

I was I. A bike store in 1993 buying a new Trek hybrid. I was prepared to spend addition dollars on a seat "upgrade" right then and there, but the dealer told me the best seat was probably the one already on my bike and the key was in my acclimating myself to the seat. I did what he said and I've never needed to replace a seat. I can't seem to upload a photo so I can't show you the very minimal little seat I'm currently riding on my Giant TCX. The key to comfort is in taking 15 seconds at intervals to lift your behind off the saddle and allow blood to completely return to the area.
Old 05-04-18, 07:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle Choice

I was in a bike store in 1993 buying a new Trek hybrid. I was prepared to spend addition dollars on a seat "upgrade" right then and there, but the dealer told me the best seat was probably the one already on my bike and the key was in my acclimating myself to the seat. I did what he said and I've never needed to replace a seat. I can't seem to upload a photo so I can't show you the very minimal little seat I'm currently riding on my Giant TCX. The key to comfort is in taking 15 seconds at intervals to lift your behind off the saddle and allow blood to completely return to the area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.