Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Rowan

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Glad to hear of the progress.
Old 06-22-18, 01:41 PM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry for missing all of this until a few days ago. Then it took that time for me to catch up on the thread. I'm glad to read that Rowan is recovering well from the accident. Best wishes to you both and hope to get back to reading about your adventures soon. I've never had any experience on TBI. But your good links and the responses in this thread have educated me on it. Onward and upward...

- Philippe
Old 06-24-18, 07:42 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
3 months & 3 days

Rowan came home this weekend for one night. It was a trial run to see how it would go, and in general, it went all right.

But he is still struggling with a lot of fatigue. He's got a way to go yet.

We live in a very hilly area so our walks this weekend were very short, but we did get out for a couple brief strolls.

We both thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by Machka; 06-24-18 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 08:32 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
That's nice to hear. Continued best wishes and hope for the future.
Old 06-24-18, 03:45 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Great news!
Old 06-24-18, 07:34 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Going home - even if only for one night - is a good step forward.
Old 06-24-18, 07:37 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Awesome to read he is progress so well. An over-night at home... what a great event.
Old 06-24-18, 07:40 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12770 Post(s)
Liked 7,687 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
3 months & 3 days

Rowan came home this weekend for one night. It was a trial run to see how it would go, and in general, it went all right.

But he is still struggling with a lot of fatigue. He's got a way to go yet.

We live in a very hilly area so our walks this weekend were very short, but we did get out for a couple brief strolls.

We both thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers.
That must've been really nice for the both of you.

So were you OK with him being home? As in not overly worried about anything going wrong?
Old 06-25-18, 12:23 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That must've been really nice for the both of you.

So were you OK with him being home? As in not overly worried about anything going wrong?

No, I wasn't overly worried about anything going wrong.

Rowan and I and two of his rehab team had done a home visit earlier in the week ... just a couple hours to look around the place and see if there were any areas of potential difficulties. But our place is not bad because the main living area is all one level, and while some access points outside are difficult (we're on quite a slope), there's one that is OK.

While there then, he had a bit of practice doing a few things, and we all felt confident he could manage the basics at least.

He does need to stop and rest a lot, which I was aware of so that was all right.
Old 06-25-18, 04:57 AM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Wow that's great progress!

Old 06-25-18, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Did he recognize the house/area?
Old 06-25-18, 09:22 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by himespau
Did he recognize the house/area?

Yes, in fact prior to his short home visit last Tuesday, he had drawn some quite detailed floor plans for his rehab team.
Old 06-25-18, 09:30 PM
In Real Life

Rowan Update

Physically, Rowan is doing reasonably well.

He's got manual dexterity so he's feeding himself, and even following the dining etiquette regarding utensils he was taught while growing up (something I never learned for some reason). He can write, although his handwriting has changed a little. He's been drawing floor plans of our house to show the therapists and keeping a log of the exercises he's doing.

He's showering, dressing, putting on his shoes and tying his laces, walking on his own without a walker or cane or anything, and doing his physio exercises, including riding the stationary bike sometimes. Regarding walking, our longest walk has been 2.5 km with 2 lengthy breaks along the way, so he's gaining strength.

He does have a few physical issues ... physio is working on some and some may resolve over time.

However, with regard to the brain injury, he is having some difficulty with fatigue, patchy memory (short and long term), moderate aphasia, and issues mainly related to a left brain injury.

But he does quite well with orientation (he was able to give very accurate directions to where we live and his drawings of our floorplans were good), math (or is it arithmetic? I said something was $15/month and he immediate said "$180/year" ... he's done that sort of thing a few times), and date & time.

Defining "fatigue" in Rowan's world ...

It's not: "if I got a solid 8 hours of sleep for a week, I'd feel less fatigued"

It is more like: "I waited till the last weekend before Christmas to do all my Christmas shopping, and decided to hit the biggest, most packed, shopping centre in town for an all-day shopping marathon ... flocks of screaming children, rude annoying people, loud music, bright colours, walking up and down and up and down, trying to decide, stores that don't have what I want, and someone just ran into me with their shopping cart." ... that sort of fatigue. Pounding headache, meltdown fatigue.

But for him, it doesn't take much to reach that point. So he keeps activities short and takes lots of breaks. And we avoid things like crowded cafes.

Last edited by Machka; 06-25-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 10:09 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
He's lucky to have you.
Old 06-26-18, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
It sounds like things are going quite well... slow... but progressing well. I'm glad to hear that Rowan was home for a couple of days... hopefully those times will get longer.

Do the two of you drive? Can you drive? That might make a few things easier.
Old 06-26-18, 01:00 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Sounds good, Machka. Rowen seems on schedule; ahead of my progress in some areas, behind in some other, but that is entirely to be expected. Physically I was ahead of Rowan. (I walked the two miles to PT for my second and third outpatient PT visit. Unintended consequence - they fired me. Said I was doing too well. That was the last of my followup except going back to the doctor a month later. Aftercare has changed a little in the past 40 years!)

At 4 months I still had a lot of manual skills to learn but I had suffered a bruise on the base of my motor nerves causing me loss of all right side learned skills. (I'm completely right handed,) By this time I could hold silverware just fine, tie my shoes, dress and the like but writing was going to wait until nearly a year passed and I started going to a tutor. I could remember what the letters looked like. I'd just never held a pen before. For that year, I couldn't write the simplest of phone messages fro my housemates. I relearned bike tool skills working at the shop that sponsored our club. (I'm sure they hired me as good PR.)

Take care of yourself, Machka. This is going to be as hard on you as on Rowen, but very different. Your friends will be seeing the changes in Rowan every time they see him. You will be seeing the Rowan who is a weird mix of college educated 6 yo and it will become very old. When your friends thrill in the changes, you will be seeing the now 7 yo. Keep your feelers out for those who "get it". You are going to need them.

I wore people out. I got to see who my true friends are. You are one of those friends for Rowan. You both are going to pull through this. But it is going to be the hardest thing each of you have ever done and it is going to test both of you to the core.

Ben, one of your believers
Old 06-26-18, 01:00 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK
It sounds like things are going quite well... slow... but progressing well. I'm glad to hear that Rowan was home for a couple of days... hopefully those times will get longer.

Do the two of you drive? Can you drive? That might make a few things easier.

Rowan drove, but cannot do that now. I used to drive a lot (up around 1000 km/week for a while there during my last year or two in Canada), but I have hardly driven since 2010. In the last year, I think I've driven a very short distance once, and I've never driven our "new" van which is the only one that works right now.

So I've been doing the "car free" thing since Rowan's accident. Fortunately, I was "car free" for about 6 years (1999-2005), so I've just reverted back to the way I did things then.
Old 06-26-18, 09:38 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I've been following Rowan's story here and on facebook, and I'm sorry about all these difficulties, and I'm encouraged by all the progress. I'm with you, in a virtual sense.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-26-18, 07:00 PM

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I haven't been on much at all for the last few weeks and just saw this thread. Mrs. Mag and I are sending all the good vibes we have your way and will be looking forward to hearing about his continued progress.
Old 06-28-18, 02:46 AM

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
I am wishing Rowan continuous progress on his road to recovery.
Old 06-29-18, 02:59 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Great news Machka! Glad to hear about Rowan's steady progress.
Old 06-29-18, 11:28 PM
In Real Life

Rowan is home!

101 days after the accident he has finally returned home.

He will have full-time 5-day-a-week home care + Community Rehab for a while (weeks? months?) but gradually the home care will be reduced as he is able to be more independent.

The Community Rehab will likely be 5 days a week too, but just for short periods of time like perhaps an hour or two at most. They will pick him up and drop him off as well. The short time at Community Rehab is because of the fatigue I mentioned in an earlier post (Post 338). That will include physio, occupational therapy, and speech therapy (for his aphasia).

He will need to go for further testing soon because of headache/balance issues.

He'll have follow-up optical testing because of the double vision ... but he just got new glasses which have helped make things clearer at least.

He may need orthotics for his left foot because of some muscle/ligament issues there. (Incidentally, I may also need orthotics because an X-ray has revealed I have severe arthritis in one joint on my right foot and moderate arthritis in the matching joint of my left foot. Walking has become rather painful for me.)

And he'll need treatment for just a little while longer for the DVT he developed in his left arm.

They have said that his memory might improve a little bit more rapidly at home, for a while, because he can see more things which might trigger memories.

He still has a way to go, but I'm hoping all of this will be positive for both of us! Perhaps a bit more of a "normal" routine. For me, for example, it means I can come home at the usual time I used to come home after work, rather than late in the evening. For Rowan, things should be quieter and more comfortable.
Old 06-30-18, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
It sounds like excellent news, although it will undoubtedly be busy at home for a bit.

I hope the transition goes well.
Old 06-30-18, 12:11 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK
It sounds like excellent news, although it will undoubtedly be busy at home for a bit.

I hope the transition goes well.
Yes, although this weekend, I'm hoping we can keep things relatively quiet and low-key. Both of us need the rest!

We don't have to go anywhere at all for the next couple days which is really nice!
Old 06-30-18, 06:41 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Very good news indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.