Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Prescription Sunglasses

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Prescription Sunglasses

Old 05-21-18, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I'm using the same glasses with progressive and transition lenses. They work well, but are not as good for reading as normal glasses. However, they work fine for reading the bike computer, so no issues there. Can't recall if I got the prizm lenses or not, though. Get the Oakley brand lenses. I had to send a pair back that used the cheaper lenses. The Oakley lenses are excellent. Clear from corner to corner.
Good to know - I've been riding Oakleys with transition lenses for years (perfect for rides that end in the dark). They' are single vision as I've been hesitant to try progressive lenses for riding. However, reading my bike computer has been nearly impossible the past few years. I might need to try Oakley progressive transition lenses; thanks for the review
Old 05-22-18, 04:03 PM

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had to wear prescription glasses since I was a toddler. I don't have great vision in my right eye and need help with my left! I can see fine with glasses but it does make finding prescription sports sun glasses expensive. Here in the UK we have Optilabs who specialize in prescription sports glasses for a variety of activities. I currently have a pair with Transition lenses (they change from clear to dark when in sunlight) and a clip-in insert to carry the prescription lenses. They work well and I don't need to take them off when going inside a building and change them for normal glasses. I need graduated lenses so they were not cheap.

Last year I had my bi-annual eye test and got a new pair of "every day" glasses plus a pair of Oakley prescription sun glasses with graduated lenses. They cost a lot and are designed for use in snow as I go to Switzerland in the winter. They were excellent in January when I was in the Bernese Oberland in bright sunshine. They are too dark for use in the usual UK weather!

I've also tried the sunglasses that fit over normal glasses (they have already been mentioned in this thread) and they are effective but can be a little bulky. Try some clip-ons like Sidekick. They are like the usual clip-on sun shades but have side wings which provide more protection.
Old 05-23-18, 06:29 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Picked up a pair of Nike sports frames with progressive addition polarized lenses today after work. Will give them a go on my bike commute tomorrow. Seemed very nice on a short trial ride around the neighborhood. Less than $400. Have enjoyed clear/sharp vision with my everyday progressive addition Transition glasses for a couple of years now but mediocre at keeping the wind out at 15-20 and especially above that - (mostly going downhill, in my case). For more than a few years I wore bifocal safety glasses which kept the wind out but vision was meh. Didn't expect much from $10 - $20 glasses.
will report back after Thursday's bike commute.
Old 05-24-18, 02:24 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Try online. I've gotten a few pair from Zenni Optical They have lots of different styles, and the service is ok. The glasses I've gotten work well, and I have no issues with my vision while wearing them for riding or driving. And you'l spend way less than $400. So if you lose them it's no big deal to order another pair. You will need your prescription information.
You will also need your Pupillary distance. Your eye doctor or optometrist should be able to provide that, more accurately than measuring it yourself. Unlike correction, it won't change (at least not for adults ;>) so getting it is a one time effort.
Old 05-24-18, 03:25 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have a pair of the Nashbar Oculus with the prescription insert. They are out of stock so they may be discontinued or they may get more. Who knows? I have an Rx lens in the left eye only so I can read the cue sheet/gps with my right eye. The whole setup including the Rx lens was well under a hundred bucks and work fine for me, but I'll probably treat myself to a set of the oakleys with the transition lenses one of these days.
Old 05-24-18, 08:03 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I can see clearly now! Wore new sunglasses on my commute today - a bright, sunshiny day. Barely got into the 20's on a few gentle slopes but wind protection much improved.Nice not to see the frames at the edges of my field of view.

Last edited by JanMM; 05-25-18 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 09:15 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I used to order strange goofy glasses from China or bolt lenses to the front of sunglasses but then I too got a helmet with a visor and bolt lenses onto the visor. It keeps stuff out of my eyes and is good in the cold. Can be a bit hot in summer but not so much.

Helmet with visor by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

Visor Lenses by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

The lenses cost about 5USD each in unbreakable trivex, and the helmet with visor about 40USD
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...2ab52e0ePCWCU1
Old 05-29-18, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I have a really high RX for my glasses and have been using contacts with wrap sunglasses. As I've been getting older the contacts are becoming quiet the pain and I find I don't see as well them on. Therefore, I have been on the search for sunglasses that will work with a high RX (prescription wraps won't work. I was able to find a pair that will work just fine and picked them up today. They are progressive with transitions so, I can wear them indoors after the ride. They weren't cheap but, I think I'm going to like them.

Old 05-30-18, 07:28 PM
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I use a pair of fit-over sunglasses over my prescription glasses. There are lots of these around, you can find them at CVS. You can get Cocoons brand at optical shops and try them on before you buy, and these are decently made and polarized. You can also leave your Take-A-Look cycling mirror mounted on them full-time.

And you'll look so cool!

(I had put links on Cocoons and Take-A-Look to be of help, but sadly, I am not able to post links until I have ten posts, as I am a Junior! But you can easily find them on The gOOgle.)
Old 05-30-18, 08:16 PM

Addendum: I wear these fit-overs on the OUTSIDE of my helmet straps. Should there be an accident I'd rather they were able to fall away, than have them trapped against my face.
Old 06-01-18, 05:31 PM

I ordered a pair of fit-overs today from Dioptics, with yellow lenses for these cloudy days we've been having. Will buy another Take-A-Look mirror and leave it on the new glasses permanently. Will have a pair for sunny days and a pair for cloudy days.
Old 06-07-18, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Zenni, Coastal or Clearly will all have you on your way for about $100 or less, depending on how stylin’ you want to be.
Old 06-10-18, 04:13 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
For cheap prescription sunglasses there is also this guy, a Briton who relocated to China to start selling specs cheap at about 20-30 USD per pair including, in this case tinted, prescription lenses.
https://www.southernseasglasses.co.u...inted+distance
I have not ordered from this company.

I have ordered from this aliexpress company and he has been reliable in the past. about 40 USD for single vision and 60 for progressive double (reading and distance) photocromic sunglasses with astigmatism if need be.
https://tinyurl.com/aliprescriptionsun

But my Trivex inserts in my yellow helmet visor are standing up fine. Trivex started life as ocular armour apparently. It is very strong.
Old 06-10-18, 05:34 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by HipRider
Finally need to get prescription sunglasses for riding. I have always bought cheap sunglasses since they get lost or dropped and break.

Any ideas on how to buy a pair without breaking the bank? On line, they seem to run more than $400 a pair.

Thanks
Which is why I don't own any. Although online is suppose to be the much cheaper than options. I've always just gone with the Transition type eye wear instead.

Although at the moment I just use a pair of cover shades which surprisingly, do a pretty good job at cutting down the sunlight and glare, if not the most stylish.