Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Recumbent rider all the way

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-07-18, 02:06 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts

Another Hugh step today.

I just loaded all my DF bikes (except for my fixed gear conversion) to be donated to an organization and passed on to refugees for daily utility use. I'm scheduled to drop them off tomorrow morning.

In a way it's not a big deal because none of them have been really ridden for at least a couple of years. They aren't being used and they take up storage space so they really have negative utility for me. I'd sell them but I have a sentimental attachment to them. I couldn't stand to let them go for what they're really worth and, if somebody had the brass to actually haggle price with me, it might become necessary to get the police involved. Donating them to somebody who really needs a bike to use every day makes me feel better about letting them go.

The big factor is that it officially makes me a recumbent tricycle rider from now on. I love my catlike but [sigh].
Old 04-07-18, 02:56 PM
Maelochs
Banned

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 5449 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 76 Posts
it would be silly to only be a recumbent rider half way ... you'd have to tow a real bike, and then ride back on the real bike towing the recumbent.
Old 04-07-18, 03:38 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
it would be silly to only be a recumbent rider half way ... you'd have to tow a real bike, and then ride back on the real bike towing the upright bike.
There, fixed it for ya.
Old 04-08-18, 12:46 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Another Hugh step today.

I've done the 23 Skiddoo, the Soft Shoe, The Side Step.
I been a high stepper, but never a Hugh step.

Sorry to hear the DFs got DQ'd.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 04-08-18, 07:32 AM
shelbyfv

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 86 Posts
Donating them to somebody who really needs a bike to use every day makes me feel better about letting them go.
I understand this completely. I experienced an episode of compulsive housekeeping a couple of years ago. I sold two nice bikes for peanuts and it still sort of annoys me. I gave several more to the bike charity and I feel much better about those.
Old 04-08-18, 08:21 AM
Retro Grouch 

shelbyfv gets it.
Old 04-08-18, 11:32 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
In 2005 I instantly become fully bent when I bought my first bent a RANS Tailwind. My touring bike and my mountain bike virtually did not turn a wheel ever a gain.

Yes bents are that good IMO. No sore butt for a month in the spring, and none on long rides. You can ride all day without pain. IMO pain is for fools.
Old 04-08-18, 11:36 AM
Bandera 
~>~

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
IMO pain is for fools.
"ďLife is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.Ē

― William Goldman

BTW: I'm not buying what you are selling.
Old 04-08-18, 05:53 PM
Maelochs
Banned

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

it would be silly to only be a recumbent rider half way ... you'd have to tow a real bike, and then ride back on the real bike towing the recumbent.
it would be silly to only be a recumbent rider half way ... you'd have to tow a real bike, and then ride back on the upright bike towing the recumbent.
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
There, fixed it for ya.
Now we are talking about Three bikes: a Real bike, an “upright,” (whatever that is) and a twisted shrunken mis-shapen monstrosity we will deign to call a "bicycle" out of charity.

Past two Sunday group rides we have encountered an idiot motorist, which makes me think that my reservations about a tadpole trike are still valid.

Both idiot drivers were in vehicles big enough that they wouldn't have been able to see a trike over the hood and fenders ... and both acted with complete disregard for Groups of cyclists they could see clearly.

If I could Only ride on car-free streets I'd get one in a hurry ... or if I moved somewhere where all the drivers cared at least a little about other people on the road.

Since I don't see either thing happening, I will vent my frustration by furiously mocking recumbents.

(Note: Jim from D'uh would have done this much more elegantly.)

Last edited by Maelochs; 04-08-18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 07:48 AM
Retro Grouch 

Now we are talking about Three bikes: a Real bike, an ďupright,Ē (whatever that is) and a twisted shrunken mis-shapen monstrosity we will deign to call a "bicycle" out of charity.

Past two Sunday group rides we have encountered an idiot motorist, which makes me think that my reservations about a tadpole trike are still valid.

Both idiot drivers were in vehicles big enough that they wouldn't have been able to see a trike over the hood and fenders ... and both acted with complete disregard for Groups of cyclists they could see clearly.

If I could Only ride on car-free streets I'd get one in a hurry ... or if I moved somewhere where all the drivers cared at least a little about other people on the road.

Since I don't see either thing happening, I will vent my frustration by furiously mocking recumbents.

(Note: Jim from D'uh would have done this much more elegantly.)
"Some people are jerks so I've decided to become one too." Is that what you are trying to say?
Old 04-09-18, 08:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8616 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 227 Posts
You'll need a pot belly and a Jerry Garcia-esque beard if you want to be a real 'bent rider.
Old 04-09-18, 08:40 AM
Maelochs
Banned

"Some people are jerks so I've decided to become one too." Is that what you are trying to say?
No, no ... your translation is faulty.

What I said was some folks apparently have a seat post so far up their butts that can't recognize a joke even when it is marked with a smiley emoticon.

A common error ... translation can be difficult. No stress.

Glad to see you missed the two-thirds of the post about how I'd like to get a tadpole trike but have safety concerns ... I guess when someone has been grouchy long enough, they ignore anything which won't be an irritant.
Old 04-09-18, 09:41 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
If the person that ends up with the donated bike sells it, is that ok with you?
Old 04-09-18, 10:01 AM
Maelochs
Banned

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider View Post
If the person that ends up with the donated bike sells it, is that ok with you?
I couldn't sell most of my bikes ... because except to me, they don't have much value. But, I cannot give them away because i don't know who to give them to ... and I wouldn't want to donate them to some charity because every one of them has some idiosyncratic issue which I would need to explain to the buyer.

If I did choose to donate my bikes to charity .... they would no longer be my bikes. I would have to let go.
Old 04-10-18, 06:26 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
You'll need a pot belly and a Jerry Garcia-esque beard if you want to be a real 'bent rider.
I have neither. You are as wrong about that as many DF riders are about bents.
Old 04-10-18, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 8616 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
I have neither. You are as wrong about that as many DF riders are about bents.
I knew you would take the bait.
Old 04-10-18, 07:19 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Play nice, please. Ride what you want and let others ride what they want. The OP has made a decision based on his needs and experiences. Deriding other members will only shorten the life of the thread.

Old 04-10-18, 08:28 AM
Maelochs
Banned

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Play nice, please. Ride what you want and let others ride what they want. The OP has made a decision based on his needs and experiences. Deriding other members will only shorten the life of the thread.
I have joked about recumbents with every bent rider here, and outright told them that I wish i could own one, but don't feel it would be safe on the roads I ride.

I have sent several PMs to Rydabent to make sure he knew that i was just poking fun, and was not disrespecting him or his bikes.

For some reason though, even though bent riders feel free to relieve themselves on DFs ... all of them seem to be painfully constipated if I make a joke about bents ... even if I say in the same post that I wish I could own one.

Is it just bent riders on this forum, or are most bent riders like this?

I know one guy I ride with on the occasional Sunday group ride, has a bent ... and a bunch of beautiful DFs ... but he won't take his bent off the trails because ... he feels like I do, that recumbent trikes are just to low to be seen by drivers who aren't looking half the time anyway.

He seems normal ... maybe it is having a mix of bikes ... "bent onlys" get weird. I don't know.

But if I ever want to illustrate the word "humorless" I will post a pic of a guy on a bent.
Old 04-10-18, 08:55 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I own both and ride both regularly. So, I see both sides. Regardless, it’s a personal preference.

Old 04-10-18, 07:28 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was recumbent only for several years.
But different tools for different applications.
For example, winter riding in ice and snow is harder with a bent bike.
As is riding a logging or cow path.
Currently ride both, depending upon where I ride.
Variety is good.
Gifting your idle mounts is nice.
Old 04-11-18, 08:06 AM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have joked about recumbents with every bent rider here, and outright told them that I wish i could own one, but don't feel it would be safe on the roads I ride.

I have sent several PMs to Rydabent to make sure he knew that i was just poking fun, and was not disrespecting him or his bikes.

For some reason though, even though bent riders feel free to relieve themselves on DFs ... all of them seem to be painfully constipated if I make a joke about bents ... even if I say in the same post that I wish I could own one.

Is it just bent riders on this forum, or are most bent riders like this?

I know one guy I ride with on the occasional Sunday group ride, has a bent ... and a bunch of beautiful DFs ... but he won't take his bent off the trails because ... he feels like I do, that recumbent trikes are just to low to be seen by drivers who aren't looking half the time anyway.

He seems normal ... maybe it is having a mix of bikes ... "bent onlys" get weird. I don't know.

But if I ever want to illustrate the word "humorless" I will post a pic of a guy on a bent.
PLEASE! Iíve been (court-ordered) attending Trolls Anonymous for three years now, Iíve had to stand before people and announce ďHi, Iím Andy and Iím a trollĒ and Iíve been doing so well, then I come here and itís like an alcoholic walking into a crowded bar after a brutal day of work.

Well no sir. Iím better than that.

In fact, sitting in my kitchen is my brand new kickstand for my bent. Iíll install it once my belly gets out of the way and I trim my beard back enough so I can see in front of me.
Old 04-11-18, 06:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
PLEASE! Iíve been (court-ordered) attending Trolls Anonymous for three years now, Iíve had to stand before people and announce ďHi, Iím Andy and Iím a trollĒ and Iíve been doing so well, then I come here and itís like an alcoholic walking into a crowded bar after a brutal day of work.

Well no sir. Iím better than that.

In fact, sitting in my kitchen is my brand new kickstand for my bent. Iíll install it once my belly gets out of the way and I trim my beard back enough so I can see in front of me.
Just don't start taking PEDs or you'll have to get a road bike.
Old 04-13-18, 09:23 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can definitely understand the desire to get rid of the DF bikes if you aren't riding them anymore. Due to some neck troubles, there were a number of years where I only rode 'bents, and was considering getting rid of my DF bikes. Fortunately, some physical therapy has improved my neck and I put roughly 2/3 of my miles on my DF bikes now. I've very happy that I didn't get rid of them!

and regarding that stereotype of 'bent riders... I must be an outlier...

I did have a beard for a while, but it was starting to go gray, so it had to go. I refuse to admit that I'm getting old (but I'm not good at it).

Steve in Peoria
Old 04-13-18, 10:36 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
pardon my ignorance, but a recumbent is a 2 wheeled bike?
Old 04-13-18, 11:04 AM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider View Post
pardon my ignorance, but a recumbent is a 2 wheeled bike?
As a genre, recumbents can have any number of wheels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.