Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Realistic Goals for 73 YO Male

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Realistic Goals for 73 YO Male

Old 05-16-18, 01:48 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: Mine's 69 PX-10, 82 Medici, 2011 Sachs, , 87 Schwinn Circuit, 69'PX-10, 87 MV Ironman, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Ah, Strava. Now there's a topic. I love the concept but I have to constantly guard against the trap of "faster segments" and higher average speeds. Thinking about that on your ride can definitely ruin a nice ride.
I don't ever think of starva during a ride. I turn it on and put my phone in my jersey pocket. When I get home I save the ride and see if anything significant happened. I find it very interesting sometimes. For example: I got dropped on a group ride I used to do quite frequently. When I got home, I saw that the segment ending where I got dropped was only a few seconds slower than my fastest time 5 years ago. That feedback is useful.
Old 05-16-18, 04:57 PM
Iride01

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Originally Posted by qb_bc View Post
Heart rate monitor - on my rides I use the HRM simply to alarm when I exceed 150 bpm. This will be on a climb and it lets me decide whether to push through, to walk or to sit down and have a rest. Is this necessary? I don't know, but it is reassuring. I have hypotension (low blood pressure), and since having had surgery for a subdural hematoma I am cautious. The doctor has told me there is no problem with my pushing myself, but to listen to my body. The HRM helps me do that.
If the doctor told you pushing yourself is no issue then why the concern about your HR?

I very regularly max out my HR for maybe 10 minutes or so and will be often ride above my LTHR for quite a while. My choice for LTHR is as Joe Friel describes. I kinda like the other link but it took awhile for me to clue into what they were saying as they tied it all up for a training program. But I suppose one might have the same experience with this too as it's how he figures it for his training programs.

Riding at max HR or at and above your LTHR has it's place. Sure you might feel a little funny when you start doing it initially, but once your body gets used to it it's sort of addictive and can be overdone so much that you hurt your performance. But it does have it's place if you want that level of performance improvement for high intensity riding.
Old 05-23-18, 04:47 PM
Jimbo47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A realistic goal for a 73 year old is wake up in the morning, and if you feel like riding do it, and let your body tell you when enough is enough.
Old 05-25-18, 08:26 PM
gobicycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have an entirely different personality than you, so take this for whatever value it is worth to you. I am approaching 79yo.

My belief is that most folks don't continue with a physical activity unless they love it. There are different things that turn folks on and also turn folks off. All the numbers and charting and HRMs and all the rest just turn me off. What turns me on is bicycling, meeting folks, taking pictures and sharing them with my FB Group of folks 65 - 100+. I figure that if I ride enough "enjoyment rides" I will stay in pretty good shape, without worrying about all the rest. I also love swimming, walking, stretching, resistance training, singing with my very own singing group, and do a lot of those activities FOR FUN.

So, that;s my take, Enjoy your activities, don't make them into drudges and guilt-ridden activities. It's more fun.
Old 05-26-18, 08:12 PM
Iride01

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gobicycling View Post
Enjoy your activities, don't make them into drudges and guilt-ridden activities. It's more fun.
I agree.... you don't have to be like those of us that like to ride at high intensity and imagine ourselves training for a Tour de France or a criterium. Many others here just ride for the sake riding enjoyment and do no tracking of stats other than memories of the time. Nothing wrong with either way or the many divisions in between the two extremes. I doubt you can find significant differences mortality rates for either.

It causes us quite a bit of disagreement about cycling around here, but that's because we are applying our riding style to those that are engaging in a different riding style. And that's apples and oranges.