Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tire deference Stability ?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-09-18, 09:35 AM
rhartman911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure of all the info I found so I'm asking the experts;
I know a 700 is the same diameter as a 29er. But whats the deference between a 45c and a 29er width what I think I have found is a 29er is a 1/4" wider but I'm really not sure. Will a 1/4" make all that much deference on stability . I find myself as I get older my balance is not what it use to be of course I'm only 53
Still would like to find a reasonable priced Gravel bike ($500-$800) that will take a 29er so I could always go down in width , ( I just don't like the look of a MTB frame)
Rides: Lake Tahoe Area
Mostly paved trails, easy off road trails, Logging roads
Old 05-09-18, 10:08 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(Sideways) stability on good surfaces is near enough unrelated to tire width.
Itís as hard to balance on top of a soccer ball as on top of a Pilates ball.
If stability is a prioritized characteristics, look at geometry, not tire width.
If you push things, like wide tires + narrow rims + low pressure, then eventually you get some wallowing when cornering.
But Iíve never noticed even multiple ĒsinsĒ have any important impact on straight riding.
Old 05-09-18, 01:59 PM
Iride01

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
29er tires come in all different widths, just like the 700C tires. However since 29er tires came out of the mountain bike side of things, they are in widths that more appropriate for that ride type, WIDE.

Like @dabac , I don't think that width of your tire plays much for stability. Stability for me is going to be felt more in the trail of the front wheel. My Raleigh has little trail in the fork and is very responsive (twitchy) my Paramount has a little more trail and is easier to ride no handed. So I consider that stable. But not anything to do with tire width.

Tire width to me is more about wider tires handle rougher surface conditions or stuff like gravel and sand better.

If and when I look for a gravel bike, I'll probably want something that has a frame capable of 29er tires in the smaller widths (42 mm or so), all the way down to the wider sized 700C's (32 mm or so).

Last edited by Iride01; 05-09-18 at 02:05 PM. Reason: who ever saw a 32 cm 700C tire?
Old 05-10-18, 04:51 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A 700 rim is the same diameter as a 29er rim a 45mm will have a smaller diameter than a 2.5" MTB tire on the same rim. You can run the 45mm tire on the MTB rim if the MTB rim is on the narrow side. The MTB tire won't be more stable but it will give you a softer ride and slightly easier rollover ability as it allows a lower air pressure making the tire absorb the bumps more readily.

In your price range I would look for a hybrid bike, part MTB part city bike with up right bars and ride it until you figure out what you want from riding. Consider buying used until you figure out the type of riding you want to do. You are in a great area for off road riding. You may also want to consider an older non suspended 26" MTB from the 90s or earlier. There is a thread here about converting an older MTB to a gravel bike.

Good Luck
Old 05-10-18, 08:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 6067 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 72 Posts
29'er isn't a tire width. It has nothing to do with how wide the tires are.

All "29'er" means is a mountain bike which uses 29 inch wheels as opposed to 27.5 inch wheels.
Old 05-10-18, 08:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 6067 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 72 Posts

All "29'er" means is a mountain bike which uses 29 inch wheels as opposed to 27.5 inch wheels.
Old 05-11-18, 01:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post

It would be more accurate to say that a 29-er uses 700C (622mm) rims and gets its larger overall diameter by simply using fatter tires. Was 650B part of the question?
Old 05-12-18, 02:47 PM
Iride01

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Was 650B part of the question?
Which also goes to show how confusing tire sizes are when you go by what's printed on the tire in bold big letter that most assume is a "size" but has more to do with marketing than putting a tire on a rim.

I've been confused recently wondering what a 27.5 is. I've been seeing adverts for them all over. I guess it's the new trend in mountain bike tire..... yes? no? sort of? If the term 26 x 1 1/2 had been used, I would have recognized that also arhaic way to describe a tire as the 650B (which is also archaic) better described as a tire with a 584mm BSD.

Knowing the BSD of the tire or rim gives you a lot more useful info than any of these marketing terms do. They try to describe the outer diameter of the tire, but the 29 x 2.00 tire on the front and 29 x 2.20 on the back of the 29er in my garage have a difference of about a quarter inch in diameter. So why talk in terms of outer tire diameter when that depends on width, and still doesn't tell you what it will mount to.

ISO or ETRTO for me, removes the confusion and uncertainty as to whether a tire will fit my wheel rim.