Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hello again, can't believe it's been TWO YEARS!

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-09-18, 11:13 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

In 2015 I was at my peak, I was cycling 150 miles a week and one month even did 250 miles a week. Midway through 2016 I got busy with some projects around the home and didn't ride at all. The weather turned crappy early in the fall so I was out of for the entire last half of the year.

2017 rolled around and I started on my big home projects early on to keep my late spring and summer open to ride. Within a few weeks of each other I got a double partial tear in my right rotator cuff and dislocated my left thumb so bad I thought I tore a tendon! What a bummer, I couldn't hold on to anything with my left hand and couldn't hardly move my right arm. Luckily I just traumatized the thumb joint and no permanent tendon damage. They MRI revealed the partial tears and the doc recommended NO surgery, since it was still mostly together it would heal on it's own - slowly. So 2017 was a challenge and I failed to get out to ride again - the ENTIRE year!.

This year I promised myself I would ride. I was shocked that it had actually been almost 1 year and 11 months since my last ride. I am kicking myself for being lazy and succumbing to injuries. To NOT do something like riding that made me feel soooo good and gave me so much enjoyment really put a dent in my mental health. I was unhappy all the time with no outlet for my energy - what little I had. And like anything, it fed on itself, the lazier I felt, the lazier I got and the poorer I felt too. I just got so discouraged passing by Old Silver setting on the bike stand, unused and neglected in the garage.

Last Monday I got the old steed out and did 8 miles. Not bad, but not good either. It's gonna take time to get back in shape. I had to buy new shorts too, I'd put on some pounds I skipped yesterday (Tuesday) because of being exhausted from working late but am excited to get out tonight to put another 15 miles or so on tonight.

Sorry for blathering. I saw the Bike Forums bookmark on my Chrome browser and realized I hadn't posted in years either.

It's good to come home!
Old 05-09-18, 02:36 PM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you. I'm sure most everyone here has gone through some down time and the hardest thing it seems is to get going again. Your legs will remember so kudos to you for starting up again and happy trails.
Old 05-09-18, 02:58 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
BAAAACK Take things slow but not too slow.
Old 05-09-18, 04:09 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I missed a year in 2010 due to a non-cycling injury and it took a few months to get back to where I was. As far as skipping a day or two...listen to your body. Luckily it gets louder the older you get.
Old 05-10-18, 09:44 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck. It's easy to lay-off and difficult to get moving again when that happens.
Old 05-10-18, 12:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Itís all about what you do today.
Yesterday and tomorrow only exist in your mind.
Have fun, be safe, rubber side down!