Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trailer hitch bike racks

Old 06-06-18, 09:47 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Originally Posted by SylvainG View Post
Here's the one I use:

(Picture taken from that link).

Holds two bikes by the wheels and frame. Doesn't care what kind of frame you have, it will hold it straight. By holding the wheels, there is zero chance of them rubbing against your car. Some folds so they can be left on the car when not in used. Some also has a lock on that sliding curved bar on top to prevent opportunistic theft.
I had one of those, the problem is that if you have cables routed along the top of the top tube, you have to pad them so the hook doesn't put pressure on the cable and press them into the top tube. Wearing away the paint, and putting a groove in the metal.
Old 06-06-18, 10:02 AM
Bigbus
NUG

Bikes: In Flux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I had a Thule tray mount until I stumbled across a used hanger style for 20 bucks in a second hand store. I didn't need it, but looking at it I figured it would make a great work bench and it has. I don't have the Thule anymore because I'm always using the hanger anyway. It holds both of my bikes and with just one on it I can do all kinds of work on the bike. It also folds up for easy storage. When I'm on the road I use a locking pin on the receiver and a couple of locking cables to secure the bikes to the carrier. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
Old 06-06-18, 01:02 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
If you're looking to do something cheap, I'd look at Craigslist for a good rack from Yakima, Thule, Saris, etc. I found a Thule 2-bike rack that works just fine with my Class-A hitch (it also had adapters for 2") for about $100. They didn't have the key for the bolt, so they gave it to me for $50. Bought a new bolt/lock for $35. So far it's held up great.