Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I'm 64, still riding. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1145363-im-64-still-riding.html)

Wileyrat 05-31-18 11:03 AM

I'm a big whoppin 59, but I have been riding LBS bikes off and on since I was 14.

I was out riding a few weeks ago, and a gentleman that I figured was in his early 70's was admiring my carbon fiber beastie, and I commented on his 70's TT conversion. Long story short, the guy was 86, and was telling me he was riding himself back into shape after a bit of a layoff.

I hope to be able to ride myself into any kind of shape when I'm 86.

Cuyuna 05-31-18 11:22 AM

I'm 67, put about 40-60 miles per week on my road bike and 15-30 on the local singletrack system. My only concessions to age have been: I've had to slow down due to quadriceps loss from 4 knee replacments, I switched from my good old Paramount Series 5 to a Domane-frame hybrid (Trek FXs6 carbon) for its more upright riding posture, and my mountain bike is a full-suspension EX8 to take it easier on my wrists.

davester 05-31-18 09:56 PM

I'm 64 and I just signed up to ride the Markleeville Deathride for the first time in July (130 miles, 15,000 feet of climbing, at altitude). Wish me luck! I've been training for it by riding a hilly century or close to it almost every weekend for the last few months. After I get done with that I'm going to climb Mount Whitney is August. My motto is "you're as young as you feel, and the more I ride the younger I feel".

McBTC 05-31-18 11:54 PM

The big question is, do you take Aleve before or after muscular aches and is just one before a ride... cheating?

What is the advantage of using Aleve over other pain relievers?

Aleve requires less frequent dosing and fewer pills than other common, over-the-counter pain relievers when pain persists. Just 2 Aleve can provide pain relief that can last all day. Each Aleve pill has the strength to last 12 hours.

Compare it! Based on minimum label dosing for 24 hours, you could take 6 Extra Strength Tylenol®* or 4 Advil®† to get all-day relief if pain persists. Aleve can relieve pain all day with just 2 pills. Each Aleve pill has the strength to last 12 hours. Aleve is available without a prescription, so it's easy to get pain relief that can last all day.

Mainiac 06-01-18 03:32 PM

71 and riding 5-6 days a week. Doctor (Cardiologist) told me I should ride, but wasn't prepared for my average speeds and distances. His response? Keep riding.

bikeridesteve 06-01-18 04:21 PM

I’m 64 (almost 65) still road biking 60-75 miles a week at a brisk pace for my advanced age (lol) 15-17 mph depending on wind conditions. 😎

ChicagoWinter98 06-01-18 04:43 PM

McBTC 06-02-18 10:29 AM

33 is the new 13 so, we've got years ahead of us-- I hope...

Jimbo47 06-02-18 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by McBTC (Post 20372942)
33 is the new 13 so, we've got years ahead of us-- I hope...

Then you just recently outgrew your training wheels. :lol:

McBTC 06-02-18 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo47 (Post 20373048)
Then you just recently outgrew your training wheels. :lol:

Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour at the Greek Theater, LA last night... lot of old people there, although-- Ian still jumping around and spitting into that flute.

Garfield Cat 06-04-18 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by McBTC (Post 20373097)
Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour at the Greek Theater, LA last night... lot of old people there, although-- Ian still jumping around and spitting into that flute.

Driving up to the Greek, Bungle in the Jungle.

bocobiking 06-04-18 08:29 AM

Me, 71 years old, on the Elephant Rock Rde yesterday in Colorado: 42 miles, 3000 feet. Ride 5000 to 5500 miles a year.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9b2cb3f1b.jpeg

McBTC 06-04-18 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by bocobiking (Post 20375792)
Me, 71 years old, on the Elephant Rock Rde yesterday in Colorado: 42 miles, 3000 feet. Ride 5000 to 5500 miles a year...

Good job, nice rig... still not trusting wireless Cateye I see... :)

bocobiking 06-04-18 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by McBTC (Post 20375933)
Good job, nice rig... still not trusting wireless Cateye I see... :)

Nope. Nor index shifting or aero brake levers, or non-steel bike, or indeed any bikes made after 1985. 😁

OldTryGuy 06-04-18 07:33 PM

68th in 1 month-6 days with a 12:01AM birthday to following 11:59PM planned. Minimum of 150 miles but shooting for 200. Only issue is prostate cancer surgery in 23 days could lower total.

Originally Posted by davester (Post 20370781)
I'm 64 and I just signed up to ride the Markleeville Deathride for the first time in July (130 miles, 15,000 feet of climbing, at altitude). Wish me luck! I've been training for it by riding a hilly century or close to it almost every weekend for the last few months. After I get done with that I'm going to climb Mount Whitney is August. My motto is "you're as young as you feel, and the more I ride the younger I feel".

Good luck and enjoy!

volosong 06-05-18 09:10 PM

Will be 67 later this summer. Still riding, latest is the 52 miler at the Spokane Lilac Century. My lack of mileage is solely due to too many other activities, (kayaking, mountain treking, sculling, tennis, Hiawatha trail, etc.) I just love being in North Idaho. Best move I've ever made.

Birthday ride goal in August is twice my age in miles and triple my age in kilometers; within a 24-hour window. Figure I'd do two metric centuries plus, first starting at noon on one day, then the second finishing by noon the next day. Will probably ride the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes. Nice and flat, along the lake, then the river with a gentle slope toward the Montana border, (old railroad grade).

Bsgs87 06-09-18 04:40 PM

I'm 69 and still ride at least three times a week between 20 and 50 miles each ride. I also ride sometimes with a very strong 73 year old rider. Other days I walk or use weights to keep me moving.

Artmo 06-10-18 07:02 AM

77.5 and still riding 75-100 miles per week. There's hope for you young 'uns, yet!

Jon T 06-13-18 10:59 AM

I'm 63. Been back in the saddle of my old '84 PH10 Peugeot (bought it new) for a little over a year after a 20 year hiatus. It feels good. I just wish I had the stamina and leg strength back that I lost over the last 20 years. Ooohh, to be young and naive again.
Jon

Dave Cutter 06-13-18 11:14 AM

During the summer months here in the Midwest I see countless old retired guys (like myself) out enjoying cycling and the outdoors. I log 2000 miles a year.... barring accidents and injuries.

CliffordK 06-13-18 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was out for some errands yesterday, returning pulling my trailer. Not too heavy, but probably 50+ lbs, when I saw a yellow jersey halfway up a hill ahead of me, not moving that fast, but moving nonetheless. So, I decided to catch up and say Hello.

It turns out he was in his mid 70's. Had recently done a credit card tour across the USA. And, lives at the top of a 1.2 mile hill... with sections > 20%.

He wasn't real fast at climbing, I must say, but I rode up parts of that hill, and it was wicked steep. He suggested that I could use the hill for training rides. :) I may take him up on it. :) Although, I may leave the trailer home next time ;)

Still, that hill was STEEP.

And, he was riding a pretty nice bike.

He said his goal was to continue riding (and riding up that hill) till he was 85, then put away the bicycle.

Attachment 609398

Hopefully we'll meet again sometime. :)

willie2323 06-13-18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 20367552)
Not sure where you got that. I didn't see any whining here. I bet your 90 year old friend considers you a young whippersnapper, so it's all relative.

well put

DaveLeeNC 06-14-18 03:57 PM

FWIW, I started riding again at age 64 with the intent of riding a solo century on my 65th (had a crude base level on a trainer at the start). Ended up doing it a month late. I am still riding 5k to 10k miles per year, mostly depending on my arthritic knees (I hit age 69 this year).

dave

Road Fan 06-15-18 07:00 PM

I'm 64 (65 this July) and have just retired from full-time engineering work. Since the last day of the job I've been out on the bike three times - 20 miles near Niagara Falls, 27 miles through our local chain of Metroparks, and 19 miles along our famous Huron River Drive. I'm feeling stronger each ride - can't believe it! When my last job started four years ago, I had a lot of travel to Germany and just really long days, so cycling went on a hiatus. That was actually one motivation to retire - I never meant to stay with this job more than three years in the first place.

Plan is for wife and I to do the 65 mile loop on July 14 for the One Helluva Ride here in Michigan, near Ann Arbor. Some fellow BF50+ old-timers might remember we got together for that ride a few times. It ain't so much work to organize a few little associated group events for anyone who wants to c'mon down and join us! At the very least, a Thursday meet for beer and burgers in Chelsea, MI (town which hosts the event) should be in the plan!

I don't see any weight coming off yet, but I can feel better strength and flexibility.

Bill (CB400), I 'm going to copy this content and start a new thread in 50+, if that's ok. I'd like the group at large to see it on it's own.

JanMM 06-15-18 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shp4man (Post 20364568)
Well, avoiding riding with cars mostly, but still riding. When you get off the couch, does it take a while to straighten up? :roflmao2: I can amazingly still rack up miles on the bike. I have a modern commuter bike that's great for this kind of riding. And several older bikes...;)

Well, you're 18 days older than when this thread started - are you still riding? :lol: I bet you are!
I still am. (At 68) Biked to work yesterday. 18+ miles total on a suburban/urban/suburban round trip. Still enjoy playing in traffic on my bike.