Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Race style bike

Old 06-02-18, 10:00 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Originally Posted by caloso View Post

70s yes. In the 80s, tolerances got much tighter for race bikes. 25mm is the biggest I can fit in my 86 Gazelle.

Right, 70s era racing bikes and earlier tend to have generous clearance but not by the 80s. At that point, you'd get a "sports" touring bike if you wanted wider tires.

My old racing bike--a 1991 Team miyata--fits a 25c but not much more.

I've been picking up a lot of 70s (and earlier) era racing bikes lately--nobody seems to want them--and they can all take reasonably fat tires: a 1960 Olmo gran sport, a 1972 Fuji Finest, a mid 70s Peugeot PR 10, a mid 70s Mercier 300, and a 1979 Trek TX 900. All of them can easily qualify as a "gravel" bike with the right tires. But back in the day, no one thought twice about riding rough stuff with tubular tires; you just let a little pressure out of the tire.

Last edited by bikemig; 06-02-18 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 10:19 AM
Lazyass

Bikes: '17 Diamondback Podium E'tape Disc, '11 Focus Culebro, lots of vintage steel

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Out of the many steel racing bikes I've owned over 31 years, I don't think I ever had one that would fit bigger than a 25mm tire. One good modern trend is that most race bikes are being designed to fit bigger tires, and the head tubes and stack heights are getting taller. I just bought a DB Podium, and as much as I hate to say it about a flat black carbon disc bike, this is the best ride I ever had. The stock 25mm Conti's actually measure 28, and there's just enough room for a 32. It has a 165mm HT on my 56, whereas most race bikes I've owned were at like 130. I have only a 1.75in saddle/bar drop and I don't even have to flip the stem up.

On my chipseal roads it feels as smooth as a sport touring bike (today they call it endurance), the fit is so comfortable I can ride all day pain free, but it performs like a race bike. Which is what it is. It's just amazing, really. I wasn't expecting it to be this good.

Old 06-02-18, 11:15 AM
GeneO 
Cyclopath

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Like this bike. Got it for the Future shock - it helps my bursitis as I ride on some rough roads.Rides fast and I don't slow down because of road buzz.
The S-works models are used in the Paris-Roubaix race and have won it, so I guess it qualifies for a race style bike.

Redtail

Last edited by GeneO; 06-02-18 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 05:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

Redtail
I like the looks of that bike. The only problem with it is the name on the downtube. Has Specialized sued you yet for posting a pic of a bike with their trademarked name on it?
Old 06-02-18, 07:14 PM
GeneO 
Cyclopath

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
So does this one. You can see it if you look close (matt black lettering on gloss black down tube)

Last edited by GeneO; 06-02-18 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-03-18, 07:19 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
That TCR looks awesome. How much drop from the seat to the bars? I think some of us older folk gravitate towards older bikes in part because the old fitting standard had less bar drop than most bikes these days. I know that I can't get as low as I used to that's for sure. Clearance for cushy tires is a plus too.