Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Latest Training Emphasis

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-05-18, 08:56 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)

Last fall we moved a bit further north due to my accepting the pastorate at Stutsmanville Chapel north of Harbor Springs, Mi. In doing so, my routes and routine became more hill oriented, very little is flat here. So with the increase of hills my climbing numbers jumped as did avg speeds on flats. So, last night I got this hairbrained idea while riding the ‘77 Colnago on the 3mi flats on lake level. I stared at the 3/4mi 200ft hill down the road and thought “why not”. My Super has a bailout granny gear more akin to jezebel. This is NOT a climbing bike though it rides on sewups and weighs 20Lbs, the lowest gearing is a 42/21. Steep as that hill is, I clobbered it. Today? I feel that little 6mi ride.

So, I begin training on these hills using a higher gear and staying out of the 39/28 on my Cannondale racer. I simply REFUSE to bow to a compact double!!
Old 06-05-18, 09:28 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Good plan if you are getting younger, & have spare knees available.
Old 06-05-18, 10:20 AM
Wheever 

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
Exactly.

Similarly, I just moved to a VERY hilly area from riding in the flatlands of Long Island. The first hill out of my driveway, less than .5 mile out, is a 16% grade...and then it just gets hillier thereafter. My first two rides on a compact front, 11-32 rear basically killed my knees and quads. (I'm a spinner, not a grinder.) The thread is over on Roadbikes, but I decided the way to go was to get a wolftooth and an 11-40 MTB cassette. Got a lot of HTFU on the thread, but I knew at the rate I was going I was going to end up not being able to ride at all. So I pulled the trigger on the conversion, and couldn't be happier I did! Hopefully, as I get stronger, I'll be able to switch back to my old 11-32, but having the lower gearing to *get* stronger, rather than having to lose the riding season to injury.

(How much more climbing is where I am? from 800' in 50 miles, to 1400' in 6.)
Old 06-06-18, 04:45 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Trek 520

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I'm sure there is someone near you training on that same hill with a fixed gear bike at an even higher gear ratio, looking askance at your 42/21! The key is avoiding injury, since when you are recuperating off the bike, average speed is pretty close to 0.0 mph. YKMV - your knees may vary.

Regardless of gear choice, it is amazing how much more fitness gain I feel from hill riding than flatter rides. Every now and then I force my self to do hill repeats on the double valley section of a local longer ride - not fun but on the next rolling hills ride there always seems to be a tailwind...
Old 06-06-18, 09:17 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
I have 2 large hills I tackle regularly and have not settled on a training approach to them; it seems like spinning a low gear is as much or more of a cardio workout as pushing a higher gear is a muscular workout. Just different parts to train. My one outlier best time was with a higher gear and I felt like I was going to puke after that, my next couple of best times have been at the spinning end of the spectrum.

Actually the best approach seems to be when I start shifting up farther back from the summit.
Old 06-06-18, 09:46 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Cool!!!

And I bet for a brief second you felt as if you had 25 yr old legs again. Your bike was probably wondering who in the heck was that stud pushing those tall gears and making it work so hard!!
Old 06-06-18, 10:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
There is nothing wrong with my cadence, you should shift yours' into high.

Eddy = "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades!"
70 Bottecchia Giro 'd Italia/70s Follis 072/72 Zeus Competition/75 Carabela SemiPro/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Montello/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico
Old 06-06-18, 02:42 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
Proper bike fit, proper training and I have strong meso legs and knees.
Old 06-06-18, 02:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post

Eddy = "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades!"
One of my faves.
Old 06-06-18, 08:30 PM
Wildwood 

I think this pic best picks up the 46/30 chainrings.
My gravel bike, with low gears for those forest road ascents, when i want C&V coolness.
Scwalbe One, 30mm tubulars pictured and it will fit 32mm with small knobs
Lets me go places without fear.

70 Bottecchia Giro 'd Italia/70s Follis 072/72 Zeus Competition/75 Carabela SemiPro/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Montello/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico
Old 06-06-18, 09:52 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Last fall we moved a bit further north due to my accepting the pastorate at Stutsmanville Chapel north of Harbor Springs, Mi. In doing so, my routes and routine became more hill oriented, very little is flat here. So with the increase of hills [...] I feel that little 6mi ride.
So, I begin training on these hills using a higher gear and staying out of the 39/28 on my Cannondale racer. I simply REFUSE to bow to a compact double!!
I like to encourage pastors when I can, as I know that can be a difficult calling. More power to you! I freely admit that I have an idol of comfort in my life, and I am currently considering the optimal way to get my current lowest gear-- 28T rear, 34T front-- even lower.You're prolly a better man than I am.
Old 06-07-18, 05:32 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead View Post
I like to encourage pastors when I can, as I know that can be a difficult calling. More power to you! I freely admit that I have an idol of comfort in my life, and I am currently considering the optimal way to get my current lowest gear-- 28T rear, 34T front-- even lower.You're prolly a better man than I am.
we have hill routes that have seriously tempted me in going to a lower gear. There are those here that are mountain climbers and the thought of doing many miles on a grade as they do seriously humbles me. We have shorter 1-1.5 mile grades that are steep and fun to ride with the rollers.

Thank you for supporting those that labor in the pulpit.
Old 06-09-18, 09:21 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: Mine's 69 PX-10, 82 Medici, 2011 Sachs, , 87 Schwinn Circuit, 69'PX-10, 87 MV Ironman, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
There is the cool factor to consider. Slender tubed framsets with low profile wheels just look so right with a tight cogset and a small chainring that hides behind the big ring.
I'm no physiologist but I think that as long as you don't make your knees do what they are not accustomed to, they will be fine. I used to train for my big spring classic that involves lots of climbing and lots of gravel by putting on a 11/28 instead of my normal 12/23. After that big ride one year, I left the "climbing" gears on and found my self on that 28 on every climb. It's that slippery slope that I am trying too avoid even though my knees are like everyone else's +/- a surgery or two. I do have a 34-28 on my trailer-pulling-grocery-bike because it is really difficult to walk a bike up a hill with a trailer biting at your heels.
Old 06-10-18, 03:30 PM
Wildwood 

Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
I'm no physiologist but I think that as long as you don't make your knees do what they are not accustomed to, they will be fine.
Certainly less risky than taking up fixed geared cycling for the first time at an advanced age.
Old 06-11-18, 06:31 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by jpescatore View Post

Regardless of gear choice, it is amazing how much more fitness gain I feel from hill riding than flatter rides. Every now and then I force my self to do hill repeats on the double valley section of a local longer ride - not fun but on the next rolling hills ride there always seems to be a tailwind...
Thatís why I choose to ride and train on hills. Some routes are like a rollercoaster ride with very steep/tall hills. The way my legs benefit can be felt the next day. Granted, I dont ride 100milers with thousands of feet climbing, long/flat rides get a bit monotonous.

Knees are fine, this is not a new discipline but rather another way to boost training results. Great for cardio and when combined with a good interval on flats, it makes for fun TT rides on flatter ground.
Old 06-11-18, 07:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
I think that our legs and knees benefit from hard training at various cadences, even a low cadence on OP's killer hill. As long as we allow time for the ligaments and muscles to adapt.
Old 06-12-18, 03:43 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I think that our legs and knees benefit from hard training at various cadences, even a low cadence on OP's killer hill. As long as we allow time for the ligaments and muscles to adapt.
Not only adapt, but adapt and recover. That includes downtime and also stretching, which, begging the OPís pardon, has become a religion at my age.
Old 06-14-18, 06:49 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Cadence on these hills seems to be like nailing jello to the wall so to speak. If I had MTB gearing on my roadbike, this would be a bit more complex but as it is I have been bottomed out at the 28cog and grinding it out. Since hitting that hill with the Colnago 42/21 Iím really trying to hit the hill at a faster speed and carry momentum so to not grind/mash but itís that last 100yds at the top that is tough. Inexact science but I have to go it by feel, breathing rate and pulse.