Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When to give it up or change it up?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

When to give it up or change it up?

Old 06-29-18, 03:21 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
break your ride up if you want. go 10-20 miles then off to something else

later hit it for another 10-20

or take some time off and see if you desire to do it again

​​​​​​​i get it
Old 07-04-18, 09:47 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I will be 70 in October and live in NC near Raleigh. The hills here are relentless and I can sympathise with the op as I have been have real problems with saddle fit. This thread has been very helpful for me and I hope to the op also as it has a lot of good advice. I am fortunate to live in a semi closed community that keeps a fairly good grip on the 25 mph speed limit so I stay within it's safety net. I ventured out last night on a short ride and thought I was going to be run over by more than one car/truck. I will stay with me safety bubble for the foreseeable future and will look into the suggested split seats.
Glad to have found this forum, Frank.
Old 07-04-18, 10:26 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Yeah, sort of at that point at age 59 on my second year of consistently running as well as cycling. I still commute every day, but on the weekends I have a hard time getting in both a 3+ hour ride and a 1.5 hour run, so my cycling mileage has dropped to around 4500 miles. The saddle issue, for me, is 100% a matter of time in the saddle, and not because of a fitness issue (I ride almost as much in the winter). If my usual "long" ride for a few months has been an hour and a half, then 15 minutes more will be uncomfortable and two hours might be painful. And so on, scaled up to whatever distance I'm accustomed to. The solution, if I want longer rides, is to increase each week by 15 or 20 minutes.

But at this point, I'm prioritizing other exercise similarly to what you're doing, because cycling by itself isn't enough. I'm not really worried about the distance, other than when I just feel like a longer ride.