Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

We Are Getting Older Together

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-30-18, 01:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)

Decided to ride with a group this am before it got entirely too hot and humid. Headed east and met up with a Saturday morning ride group that I rode with some years ago. Figured the worst that could happen was getting dropped. Didn't happen. We were all just about the same fitness level, and one of the guys who was always pushing the pace 5 years ago was bringing up the rear.

Lesson: We are all growing older together, my friends, and the shootin' match no longer matters. Had fun talking and riding with the old gang. Just might do it again next week.

As a side note there were some young guns with us and they reminded me of us old guys 30 years ago. Of course they took off and met up with us at the half-way point. The young girls hammered us old crows into the hills. Dang, they were super strong and fast! Respect for sure. Good to see fast girts riding. Wasn't like that years ago.
Old 07-01-18, 05:22 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
That inspires me to try the local group.

I realized I'd crossed some threshold a year ago while laboring up a hill in granny during a 100k...I was passed by a young lady who was sitting up, no hands, taking pictures of the scenery with her cell phone! Du-OH!
Old 07-01-18, 06:22 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
quien es mas macho ---- sometimes it diminishes and sometimes it doesn't

I ride with some 70yo/80yo guys who still push the cranks pretty hard and can leave riders 25+ years their junior questioning their macho. Eventually time/age catches up to everyone but it's all in the genes as to when/how negatively.
Old 07-01-18, 06:36 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5942 Post(s)
Hmmm...
And I was sure this was going to be about riding classic & vintage bikes from your teenage years.
Old 07-01-18, 06:59 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
I went to a birthday party for a long time riding companion last Wednesday. She had just turned 93. I noticed how old all of the other participants (except me of course) looked.
Old 07-01-18, 01:36 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
"And I was sure this was going to be about riding classic & vintage bikes from your teenage years."

I still ride the 1986 NR Campag drive train with Suntour Barcons, and NR hubs. Nothing classic about it, just really good quality I bought 30+ years ago thinking that it will never need to be replaced. How right that is! While riding someone behind me was commenting on the 6 speed freewheel and bar-end shifters saying that I was way retro. Just don't see it that way. The stuff has not worn out, so why replace it? When I asked him why he needs 10 speeds on the rear he had no answer worth considering.

Rode today for 35 and felt like a wet dishtowel. Unable to crank out any speed whatsoever. Yesterday's ride sucked the life out of me, and this morning was just as humid and hot. At least I kept my appointment with the road!
Old 07-03-18, 10:14 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
I've worked with the same group of guys at work for a lot of years now, and we've noticed through the years how much our topics of conversations have changed.

​​​​​​Years ago, they used to be about women and activities during alcohol consumption, now days they're mostly about aches & pains, and our latest doctor visits.
Old 07-03-18, 02:15 PM
big john

I've been a member of a road bike club for 29 years and I have seen a lot of people come and go. Lately there has been a trend to drop the slower (me) riders by the faster, younger guys. I do get tired of that aspect of it but it's cool when they show a little mercy.
As for 10 speed cassettes, (there are 12 speeds now), the advantage I find is I'm more likely to find a gear to stay with other riders. If someone,( or a paceline ) is at a certain speed, and I want to go that speed, it helps to have a close ratio cluster to select from.
Also, I have an 11 speed on my mountain bike with a single ring crank. I like it.
Old 07-05-18, 09:15 PM
JLDickmon
shot down in flames

Bikes: Raleigh Talus 29, Cannondale Raven 700, Cannondale Super V 1000, Cannondale Raven 3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
That's what I need to do.. I need to find a bunch of fat old men to ride with..
Old 07-05-18, 10:37 PM
big john

Originally Posted by JLDickmon View Post
That's what I need to do.. I need to find a bunch of fat old men to ride with..
Let me know if you're ever in the L.A. area.
Old 07-06-18, 09:48 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Yep. Less hammering, more yammering.
Old 07-08-18, 04:49 AM
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
My biggest challenge has been to lose the attitude of not being fast enough to run with the 30-50 yr. old crowd. And, at age 72 what are the chances? Especially when you still have the college football player body. This year I have finally gotten to the point where I can chill out on group rides and just enjoy the ride. I save the competition for my TT and when I chase my gf up hills. Strangely, I have gotten faster and more fluid on the bike.
Old 07-08-18, 09:03 AM
dynodonn 
Senior Discount Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
I tried riding with an older local bicycling group, the competitive attitude wasn't the problem, but the clique mentally was, so I just returned to my normal solo riding.
Old 07-08-18, 09:49 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: 1986 , 87 , 88 , 89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
quien es mas macho ---- sometimes it diminishes and sometimes it doesn't

I ride with some 70yo/80yo guys who still push the cranks pretty hard and can leave riders 25+ years their junior questioning their macho. Eventually time/age catches up to everyone but it's all in the genes as to when/how negatively.
Not necessarily all in the genes. Sometimes in comes in the form of testosterone replacement "therapy" and or questionable bulk "vitamins" from Asia or south America.
30 years ago I was at the front of a group ride pushing the pace.( I gotta say older gents back then we're more fit. It seems more older and less fit start cycling later in life nowadays but Back then only fit older people started cycling later in life. That's just my impression). But payback is a blank, cause now I ride once a week with guy who just wants to hammer and believe me once a week is enough til I get my bulk shipment of creatine from China that is hopefully has left over "whatever the tour riders are on".