Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Bike Recommendation (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1148336-bike-recommendation.html)

Little Darwin 06-30-18 01:40 PM

Bike Recommendation

Posting here because I think others here have similar issues. :) I have been inactive on bikeforums.net for a few years, but remember this particular forum fondly.

I built a bike for a friend in another state, and she loves the way it rides, but the bike has an issue based on horizontal dropouts and a subpar skewer (skewer loses grip). This has soured her on this bike, and so she is looking to buy another. She has some physical issues with arm strength, and would love to upgrade. Cost is not an issue. (within reason)

I am considering bringing the bike to a frame guy and having vertical dropouts retrofitted... but the tire clearance is a little tighter than ideal, so a new bike may be a better idea.

Requirements:

Light Weight (primarily for lifting onto bike rack)

Efficient

Step Through

Upright riding position

The bike she loves (at most levels) is built on an 80's era step through cromoly, sport touring frame, with upright handlebar and Shimano Deore LX (3x8) components. and 700x32 tires.

She rides almost exclusively on rail trails... many paved, but not all of them. Maintenance is an issue,,, She wants to do none.

In my mind a 1x8 or 1x9, or potentially internally geared hub would be ideal. I think she may be up for trying a foot forward bicycle, if light enough, I think ability to fit 32-35 mm tires is essential.

Any recommendations?

ironwood 07-01-18 05:53 AM

Look at the Rivendell Clem L or Cheviot frames on the Rivendell site.

Little Darwin 07-01-18 09:51 AM

Thanks for the input. Those are promising.

DiabloScott 07-06-18 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Little Darwin (Post 20421369)
Posting here because I think others here have similar issues. :) I have been inactive on bikeforums.net for a few years, but remember this particular forum fondly.

I built a bike for a friend in another state, and she loves the way it rides, but the bike has an issue based on horizontal dropouts and a subpar skewer (skewer loses grip).

I remember you from cyclingforums.com a long time ago... And you used to ride with The Historian too.

Why not at least TRY using a better skewer?

Wildwood 07-06-18 08:56 PM

Soma Buena Vista, Tange Prestige, no lugs. But much less expensive ($300 or $800) than Clem L, or Cheviot.

fietsbob 07-07-18 11:44 AM

Yea a Proper Skewer.. Shimano internal cam , and axle lock nuts with teeth to bite into the frame end.

you can also use less quick release skewers , which is like a long bolt,
then you use an 'allen' wrench to get it tight..

some use a unique wrench for wheel theft reduction..

skidder 07-07-18 03:55 PM

I'll second the mention of Soma Fabrication's 'Buena Vista' mixte frame. It only comes as a frame/fork set, but it sounds like you have a bicycle that'll be stripped of parts ('donor' parts for a new build), so that'll keep the total cost down.

fixedweasel 07-07-18 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20433744)
Yea a Proper Skewer.. Shimano internal cam , and axle lock nuts with teeth to bite into the frame end.

you can also use less quick release skewers , which is like a long bolt,
then you use an 'allen' wrench to get it tight..

some use a unique wrench for wheel theft reduction..

Yup, Nashbar sells those for pretty cheap and you can throw a set of heavily knurled washers in there before tightening. It won't move/slip.

blakcloud 07-08-18 09:02 AM

If she has the step through now that she mostly loves, why don't you just replace the rear wheel with an Alfine 8 or 11 speed? You need the horizontal dropouts for chain tension with that hub anyway and with nuts holding it on, there will be no wheel slippage.

As others have mentioned replacing the skewer might be a solution but I would also check that the rear axle is not too long. If it is the quick release will never get tight enough. The solution is a washer or two as spacers.

The Soma frame others have mentioned looks good.

pcf 07-16-18 08:27 AM

I built up this Japan made Raleigh Mixte for my wife with a 2-Speed coaster brake SRAM Automatix for my wife. A lot of these mixtes show up on Craigslist for cheap.

The reversed chop & flop handlebar is easy to set up with existing road bars and offers a more comfortable, upright position with less potential for numb hands.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e64d07bcc.jpg