Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Toe cage use.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Toe cage use.

Old 07-13-18, 07:34 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I use toe clips for the simple reason that I HAVE toe clips! If I were to switch, I'd have to buy pedals, cleats, and shoes, and my unusual foot shape makes most shoes problematic to wear. I keep the toe clip straps loose, and it just works for me, so I'll continue just being too cheap and lazy to slip my feet into this new world (to me) of cliplessness.
Old 07-13-18, 08:02 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I use toe clips for the simple reason that I HAVE toe clips! If I were to switch, I'd have to buy pedals, cleats, and shoes, and my unusual foot shape makes most shoes problematic to wear. I keep the toe clip straps loose, and it just works for me, so I'll continue just being too cheap and lazy to slip my feet into this new world (to me) of cliplessness.
I will keep them on my vintage racers because they belong there but you raised another reason why I dont like clipless...new and unfamiliar shoes, hotspots and numbness on my feet because I cant find movement on the peddle even the slightest tiny bit. And then there is the getting off and walking around.
Old 07-13-18, 08:05 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
tried cleated pedals & shoes earlier this week (not writing clipless cuz that's a dumb name for them) on a <2 hr ride. just for fun, cuz I'm bored this summer (& for the simple reason I had them). my initial reactions included: wutz all the fuss about? meaning, I don't see a big improvement over the 1/2 clips I've been using. in fact, it was more of a hassle to attach & remove my feet. I seem to remember (using 1/2 clips) removing a foot with the pedal in the up position. but with cleats, it seemed to make sense to uncleat in the down position. I did not fall down like ppl were warning, maybe I was too careful? started thinking I can add cleated pedals to the other 2 bikes I ride. but now, thinking I might be complicating my life to fight the boredom, rather than from a real & good reason. I still carry my toe clip straps tho. for changing tires

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-13-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-13-18, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I like the old toe clips for the same reasons most of us north of fifty do, we grew up with them! I look for the narrow flat sneakers, like the skate shoes only narrow in the toe. I have found some at the Vans outlet store and at Target . Canvas is best as they breath. Also, I do NOT tighten the straps so I can bail out in a heart beat. I like being able to walk normally when I get off my bike. I will admit I have never worn cleats, on the bikes I own I don't think they would keep the tradition. Joe
Old 07-13-18, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Helderberg
.. I am trying to get as much efficiency out of my effort asI can..
I use half-clips and clipless and am into the efficiency aspect. Roughly speaking, I think ~70% of your forward motion power comes from ~50% pedal rotation that a good grippy flat pedal can provide. Another 15% of your power can be added with the ~75% pedal rotation that half clips can provide. And another 15% of your power can be added with the 100% pedal rotation that full retention (full clips, clipless) can provide.

One very important efficiency aspect I didn't see mentioned much above, is the use of stiff/rigid soled shoes (since you can mix any type of shoes with clips). I think you will be more efficient with dedicated cycling shoes on flat pedals, than with sneakers in full clips.
Old 07-13-18, 09:22 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
a rigid arch supporting insole can help stiffen any shoe for comfortable cycling..
Old 07-14-18, 05:06 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans

I use half-clips and clipless and am into the efficiency aspect. Roughly speaking, I think ~70% of your forward motion power comes from ~50% pedal rotation that a good grippy flat pedal can provide. Another 15% of your power can be added with the ~75% pedal rotation that half clips can provide. And another 15% of your power can be added with the 100% pedal rotation that full retention (full clips, clipless) can provide.

One very important efficiency aspect I didn't see mentioned much above, is the use of stiff/rigid soled shoes (since you can mix any type of shoes with clips). I think you will be more efficient with dedicated cycling shoes on flat pedals, than with sneakers in full clips.
I agree with use of toeclips and clipless for anyone who wants them, but where do these efficiency numbers come from? I'd certainly like to see it.
Old 07-14-18, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I like toe cages. They work well. I think the secret to them is the shoe. I happen to still have a pair of shoes made specifically for toe cages that I got in the 1980s. They have a slightly pointed toe (easier to slip into the cage), a smooth and stiff sole, and reinforced leather across the top of the toes. Find a shoe with these features and you'll like your toe cages more.
Old 07-15-18, 09:09 AM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I agree with use of toeclips and clipless for anyone who wants them, but where do these efficiency numbers come from? I'd certainly like to see it.
Purely subjective on my part, and I over simplified - allow me to explain.

Quite certain that if I raced myself up a hill, half clips would beat flat pedals, and full clips/clipless would beat half clips - but that's (just my opinion) ultimate efficiency at full power/max effort in a short sprint. However, this is not to say that over a long ride, that flat pedals are only 70% efficient as clipless - when cruising below maximum effort, the lack of power application on the 'up stroke' (for example), is energy saved and easily applied/transferred to the flat pedal down stroke, so overall ride efficiency will be close, maybe the same.

Below max effort, I really like foot retention for its ability to distribute work over different muscle groups, which helps with acute fatigue. So for example, assume I'm applying 85% of my max wattage with the three different pedal configs:
- flat pedals I'd apply 85% power over the 50% downstroke rotation
- half clips, I'd apply 70% power over the 50% downstroke rotation, and 15% power over the 25% topstroke rotation
- full clips/clipless, I'd apply 60% power over the downstroke rotation, 13% power over the topstroke rotation, and 12% power over the upstroke rotation.

All three might result in the same overall pace/distance, calories burned, and overall fatigue.... but maybe foot retention helps a bit with acute fatigue. Hope that clarifies it better.
Old 07-22-18, 08:54 PM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I cut my teeth on Christophe toe clips back in the 1970's but when I went clipless I never looked back. I ride SPD pedals now because they have a lot more float and don't make my knees hurt. I still have toe clips on my old Raleigh Wyoming though. The only issue for me with toe clips and cleats is they don't allow your feet to float and that can take a toll on some riders knees over the long-haul.