Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 06:31 AM
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts

The guy in the "How far did you ride" thread, that rode 30 miles from his house to do a 60 mile group ride up & down in the Appalachians, got me thinking..
When you are on your bike, what are you old goats eating/drinking to fuel yourselves while you are in the saddle?
What is your normal diet?
Does it change on ride days?
What do you eat to recover?

Inquiring minds want to know..
please.
Old 07-09-18, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I don't try to stick to a diet on a day when I ride >50 miles; I need more calories, and it's hard to eat clean when your choice of convenience store food is buffalo wings, candy bars, or ice cream.

And on long or hot rides, I'll look for salty foods, instead of avoiding them on other days.

Recovery? Food and rest.
Old 07-09-18, 10:18 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10154 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
I do anything under three hours on a cup of coffee and I haven't done anything longer than that since about 1988. If it's going to be on the long side, especially in the cold, I'll take something like a Clif bar along, but I tend to forget I have it and eat it when I get home.

When it's hot, I fill one bottle with an electrolyte and sugar drink.

Recovery potion is a scoop of whey protein, a banana, a glop of full-fat greek yogurt, and maybe the half a cup of coffee I left on the counter, spun up with triple-distilled de-ionized water (gotta protect the purity and essence of my natural fluids) in an immersion blender.

The rest of the time, I eat a mainly vegetarian diet with plenty of fresh this and that, no refined carbs, yadda, yadda.
Old 07-09-18, 02:23 PM

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Don't judge me, but this is what got me through the last 30 very hilly miles of a 200K brevet on Saturday. It felt much warmer than the thermometer read due to zero cloud cover and the heat radiating off the pavement. No solid food sounded good but I knew that I needed calories:
Old 07-09-18, 02:46 PM

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Coke and Payday candy bar is good for 50+ rides 2x on 100+
Old 07-09-18, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I try to eat a balanced diet. Dinner is typically a protein, a starch, and veggies. Just like mom used to insist. Morning rides under 2 hours are usually done on coffee only. Longer rides/races I typically will eat 2 fried eggs and some toast. Main thing is to be well fueled from the night before. I will typically throw a gel or bar into my jersey pocket and eat it on the turnaround if possible. Afterwards I will usually eat anything that's not nailed down.
Old 07-09-18, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Night before....pasta/chicken. Hydrate++
Before ride: oats/fruit mix/coffee
Ride: 2 bottles Amino Vital (sip every 10 minutes)...1 GU every 1 hour/10 minutes.
After: 2 scoops whey protein/juice drink with fresh veggies/Hydrate ++

Rinse & Repeat.....:-)
Old 07-09-18, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
Don't judge me, but this is what got me through the last 30 very hilly miles of a 200K brevet on Saturday. It felt much warmer than the thermometer read due to zero cloud cover and the heat radiating off the pavement. No solid food sounded good but I knew that I needed calories:
If you did a 200K on a hot day I’ll let you have whatever you want.

Old 07-09-18, 04:57 PM

On a more serious note, anyone ride while on a Ketogenic diet? Or should I take it to T&N?

Old 07-09-18, 05:31 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
I am cheap so its peanut butter sandwiches for me and home made citrus maltodextrin drink. For 50 miles or more, i splurge and bring along a comercial bar or chew with caffein. After a hard ride long or short, i make a fruit smoothie with a scoop of pea protien and some other super food stuff thrown in. I’m 98 percent vegan and 2% omnivore to be polite and avoid confrontation.
Old 07-09-18, 05:53 PM

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Anything over 50, the night before, just a resonable sized meal, protein, light carbs and some veggies. the morning of, overnight oats with chia and raisins. After the first hour, I alternate between gels and peanut butter sammiches every 20 to 30 minutes, and I generally start with a gel. I also do Lara bars and Cliff bars instead of the sammiches. One bottle of electrolytes and one bottle plain water.
Old 07-09-18, 06:01 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
On a more serious note, anyone ride while on a Ketogenic diet? Or should I take it to T&N?
Sounds like a good way to lose muscle if the ride is long.
Old 07-09-18, 06:29 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
If the ride is less than 40 mi I use only Hammer Heed. If more there is usually a turnaround stop where I add a 16oz Coca Cola and a Power Bar. For a mountain century I add protein bars and carry powdered Heed to mix at rest stops. When the ride is over I always have a large glass of chocolate milk. My diet isn't that great making sure I get enough carbs and protein with a few vegies and fruit. It seems to be working as I am 76 and still can ride with competitive 50 and 60 year old riders. I try to do 200 mi per week or the equivalent with power meter intervals thrown in.
Old 07-09-18, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,508 Times in 2,853 Posts
This is my go-to snack currently: https://www.larabar.com/our-products/larabar

They all contains dates, (which is where they get their sweetness), and most have no added sugar or other garbage.
Very easy to eat, and tasty.
Old 07-09-18, 06:56 PM
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I've been on a keto diet since December of last year..
I was wondering how many others do..
Looks like a lot of y'alls is keeping to a balanced diet, and packing in simple carbs while riding.
Old 07-09-18, 06:58 PM

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I stop after an hour and a half and eat 1/2 a Cliff energy bar. Then I stop every 1/2 hour after that and eat another 1/2 energy bar. If I feel tired between stops I'll eat some majhoul dates 95% sugar, best part of the ride.
Old 07-09-18, 07:23 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,805 Times in 3,314 Posts
20 oz of roughly a 50/50 crangrape/water every 50 minutes drank in 10 minute intervals. More if nearing 100 degrees F. I add some salt or electrolytes to my bottles for longer rides. Maybe a small box or two of raisins for something solid on the 50 mile plus rides and if it's an organized ride, bananas, oranges and cookies at the rest stops.

Afterwards, all the carbs I want, a little protein and no particular worries about fat content of any of it.
Old 07-09-18, 10:19 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
For the past 20 years or so:

Rides under 30 miles: Hammer HEED, usually just one bottle. It's not hot here in the PNW.
During rides of 40-250 miles: maltodextrin and flavored whey protein mixed 7:1 by weight. 14 oz. of powder about every 100 miles. 2 c. of powder mixed with water in one 24 oz. bike bottle lasts 3 hours or so. 1-2 swallows every 15 minutes. Up to 6 at the tops of mountain passes.
Before serious long rides: 100g of the above powder in 16 oz. water, drunk 2-3 hours before the start.
After a hard ride, 20g natural sugar, 25g flavored whey protein, 5g creatine. Then small quantities of carbs about every 15 minutes until I can get a meal.

For a break from the weird bike food on very long rides, my fave is a Hostess Fruit Pie.

My normal diet is Mediterranean, fish but no meat.
Old 07-10-18, 12:20 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
On brevets 200k and up...

The day before the ride is nothing special, except I'll avoid a lot of protein and fiber.
Normal breakfast at home of oatmeal, nuts, fruit, bagel, milk. That's my breakfast probably 300 days/year.
Often a pastry and coffee at the start control.
While riding, I have one bottle of unflavored maltodextrin mix, maybe 150 kcal, that I try to drink every hour. On top of that it's usually convenience store food or the occasional restaurant. For convenience store food I'm all over the place, since I get tired of most everything eventually. Bean burritos, potato wedges, bananas, pringles, etc. On longer rides, say 400k+, I feel like my stomach gets to where it can burn absolutely anything. Eventually I'll go with pizza slices, cold sandwiches, even the occasional reheated convenience store shrink-wrapped cheeseburger. Rice Crispy treats are my preferred pocket food. If Subway's an option in a control town, then 6" cold cut combo with chips, coke, and cookie is good. If night riding is in order, I'll add caffeine, sometimes in the form of convenience store iced Starbucks. Toward the end of a long brevet, when I'm tired of eating just about everything, a meal consisting of vanilla milkshake and large fries gets me across the finish. Lately I've taken to going with diluted coke instead of maltodextrin for the last hour or so. At that point, anything different is good.
My traditional finish control drink is chocolate milk.
A post-shower post-ride meal I might to consciously up my protein intake, but will almost certainly include a dark beer.
Old 07-10-18, 12:28 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
For the past 20 years or so:
For a break from the weird bike food on very long rides, my fave is a Hostess Fruit Pie.
Hostess Fruit Pies are not the same post bankruptcy/brand sell-off, but they are still a fave. Cherry, please.
Old 07-10-18, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sounds like a good way to lose muscle if the ride is long.
Support your bold claim. I know you metabolise fat because it’s the ultimate high-density energy source. Are you maintaining that muscle breakdown occurs so it can feed into gluconeogenesis? Is this a more efficient means, from the body’s energy economy?

Old 07-10-18, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by sevenmag
Anything over 50, the night before, just a resonable sized meal, protein, light carbs and some veggies. the morning of, overnight oats with chia and raisins. After the first hour, I alternate between gels and peanut butter sammiches every 20 to 30 minutes, and I generally start with a gel. I also do Lara bars and Cliff bars instead of the sammiches. One bottle of electrolytes and one bottle plain water.
Is there any evidence that Clif bars are a better source of energy than, say, a BP&J? Lara bars are the fave if your gluten-free and sugar free (kind of) but does that make it a better source of energy on rides?

Old 07-10-18, 09:38 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

Is there any evidence that Clif bars are a better source of energy than, say, a BP&J? Lara bars are the fave if your gluten-free and sugar free (kind of) but does that make it a better source of energy on rides?
Ever try eating a sandwich in a paceline? Clif bars are easy, no muss, no fuss, plus you know exactly how many calories you're getting. Dig 'em out of the back of your saddle bag a week later and they're fine. The bar you ate's better than the sandwich you didn't. I still use them hiking but not on the bike anymore. Hiking, because they are so durable. Never tried Lara bars.
Old 07-10-18, 10:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

No, but they’re quick and easy. And I once rode 10 miles home on a tire boot made from a Clif Bar wrapper.
Old 07-11-18, 04:33 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

No, but they’re quick and easy. And I once rode 10 miles home on a tire boot made from a Clif Bar wrapper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.