Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do you wear?

Old 07-11-18, 08:48 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
What do you wear?

My question is to those that do not wear the tight riding shorts. What pants/shorts do you find comfortable? Hiking with cargo pockets shorts do not get it for me as they bunch up and are very uncomfortable. I have found thinner athletic type shorts are better but I am open to any other suggestions. At 69 and 195lbs. I just can't bring myself to go out of the house in riding shorts. I have some younger people, 40"s-50"s, that fly by my house wearing them and I realize how foolish I think I would look in them. I am not in the best shape and more than a little self conscious. Just my own insecurities I realize but that is my problem.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 07-11-18, 09:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 5169 Post(s)
You would not look foolish. On the contrary, you would fit right in and look completely normal.

Mountain bike base shorts with baggy overshorts is an option. The Kitsbow ventilated base short and Haskell overshorts are examples. There are many others.
Old 07-11-18, 09:45 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Another vote for expedition shorts, which are cargo shorts with built-in chamois-lined bike shorts. I buy mine at REI.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-11-18, 11:02 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
lycra shorts are very functional if you are riding a road bike, and for longer distances. 20+ miles.
Old 07-11-18, 11:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2437 Post(s)
cycling specific thin lined tri shorts, sized generously under (unlined) cycling specific mountain bike shorts

up top this is my most used shirt
Old 07-11-18, 11:28 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
I find the riding shorts 'too revealing' when not on the bike (ie, walking from office to outside) so I wear a pair of standard black exercising shorts over my bib.
Old 07-11-18, 11:35 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick.

Thank you all for some real possibilities. Much appreciated.
Frank.
Old 07-11-18, 11:35 AM
Iride01

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
You don't have to have the standard tight fitting bike shorts for riding rode bikes on the road. I wore some loose fitting nylon/polyester ripstop shorts that had legs I could zip on for the cooler months. I resisted getting bike shorts till about four years after I started back riding seriously for fitness. Even while putting in a regular 150 miles a week, I saw no advantage to the tight fitting shorts. Then I bought real bike shorts, got over my limited self image thing and have never gone back to the loose fit shorts.

Whatever you do, don't wear cotton underwear beneath your loose shorts. It'll rub you raw when it gets soaked with sweat. Get some sports underwear made from synthetics material. Even the cheap BCG stuff worked well for me. When you do graduate to real road bike shorts.... you go commando. No need to increase the chances of an extra seam or wrinkle causing you grief.
Old 07-11-18, 12:02 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
You don't have to have the standard tight fitting bike shorts for riding rode bikes on the road. I wore some loose fitting nylon/polyester ripstop shorts that had legs I could zip on for the cooler months. I resisted getting bike shorts till about four years after I started back riding seriously for fitness. Even while putting in a regular 150 miles a week, I saw no advantage to the tight fitting shorts. Then I bought real bike shorts, got over my limited self image thing and have never gone back to the loose fit shorts.

Whatever you do, don't wear cotton underwear beneath your loose shorts. It'll rub you raw when it gets soaked with sweat. Get some sports underwear made from synthetics material. Even the cheap BCG stuff worked well for me. When you do graduate to real road bike shorts.... you go commando. No need to increase the chances of an extra seam or wrinkle causing you grief.
Thank you for this information. That said, I am not familiar with BCG? Could you tell me what that means.
Thanks again, Frank.
Old 07-11-18, 12:21 PM
Iride01

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
I am not familiar with BCG? Could you tell me what that means.
I don't know if it's an acronym for something or what. It's a brand name of inexpensive sportswear that I get at Academy Sports. Much cheaper than UnderArmour and other brands, but serves it's purpose well enough for me. I wear them under regular pants or shorts anytime I'm going to be out side sweating for a while as wet cotton rubs me raw quick between the legs.

They feel different that cotton underwear, but now that I'm well used to the fit, I'm thinking of trashing all my cotton underwear and just wear synthetic. Not necessarily BCG though. Might want something sexier to impress my wife!
Old 07-11-18, 06:34 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite, 2007 Spec. Roubaix Elite, 2003 Spec. Big Hit 2, 1998 VooDoo Zobop, 1985 Trek 410, 1984 Trek 620

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
As others have mentioned, 'mountain bike shorts' have a casual-looking outer stretchy/baggy short covering a snug lycra/chamois interior short. This gives you a less revealing appearance, but you get the comfort of a cushioned, bike-specific under-short. You can find these in most bike shops or on-line. It's best to be able to try them for fit before purchase.

The 'MAMIL' (Middle-Aged Men In Lycra) debate is an old one. I ride with many MAMILs and I don't try to convince them to dress differently - they're old enough to know better!! I ride with the mountain-style shorts and a lightweight, long-sleeved nylon fishing shirt (the collar and sleeves keep the sun off without being too heavy).

Comfort is paramount.
Old 07-11-18, 06:47 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I ride a recumbent, so what’s the point of Lycra? So I wore gym shorts last time out, and a bee flew up my shorts and bit me on my expansive derrière. From now on I’ll wear Lycra cycling shorts, thank you.

Most things in cycling that seem weird to muggles exist for pretty good reasons.

Old 07-11-18, 07:56 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
I wear Under Armour baggy shorts without any problems at all. I can ride 20, 30, 35, miles without any worries, chafing, or anything like that. I am also in that category that just can't bring myself to wear Lycra... Can't do it... Won't do it... Ain't happening...

Old 07-11-18, 08:24 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I wore mountain biking shorts with a padded liner for while. I eventually made the jump to standard lycra roadie shorts. I have some bibs and shorts, I like them both equally these days.
Old 07-11-18, 09:12 PM
caloso
Packfodding 3

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
No, you don’t have to wear cycling shorts, but if your primary reason is that you’re worried how you think you might look in them, you need to realize that no one cares.
Old 07-11-18, 10:19 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)

Black, quick-drying Golf Shorts with belt loops and pockets.
Old 07-12-18, 11:19 AM
spinsheet

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I used to wear the mountain bike shorts with the Lycra interior lining and padding. They seemed to work fine. Now I just wear the regular Lycra bike shorts. I'm at the point where I really don't care what people think, getting too damn old for that...
Old 07-12-18, 01:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

I wear lycra and so do all of the riders I know. It's not a big deal.

Last edited by big john; 07-12-18 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 01:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Most things in cycling that seem weird to muggles exist for pretty good reasons.
^This.^

I wear baggies (I like Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts, but Zoic are very good too), and casual shirts on my hybrids, which have padded saddles. One has a padded saddle built like cycling shorts -- Lycra fabric over foam. Serves the same purpose. Platform pedals and casual shoes too. Perfectly fine for the casual rides I do on those bikes.

But on my road bike I gear up differently. Snug shorts for lower wind resistance and because floppy baggies snag the water bottle on my seat tube. And fairly snug jerseys because it's more efficient in the wind. Clipless pedals and cleated shoes because it's more efficient, especially chattering across rough chip seal, and slogging uphill. I use the road bike for harder workouts, occasionally with a fairly fast group. Most of those folks are on spiffy aero carbon fiber bikes weighing under 20 lbs. I'm on a 1980s steel road bike that weighs around 25 lbs. I need every advantage to keep up with them. And even riding solo, a long ride can become pretty exhausting when you add wind resistance from floppy shorts and shirts.

Most roadies prefer firmer saddles with minimal padding, which is more efficient for power transfer and road feel. But comfort, or tolerance for discomfort, varies. So it's easier to choose among a wide variety of padded shorts, ranging from minimal stuff like traditional chamois with wool, to thin microfiber padding to seriously cushy 3D sculpted padding.

Same rationale for wicking fabrics like high tech polyester and merino wool, vs cotton. Most cotton gets soggy quickly and feels like I'm being smothered by a wet rag. Cotton gets funky smelling quickly during a long hot ride, while merino wool and tech fabrics stay pleasant longer. Folks who don't care to wear bikey looking jerseys can still choose a tech fabric t-shirt (Champion, UnderArmour, many others) or casual jersey with a single discreet pocket and no bikey looking logos or graphics.
Old 07-12-18, 01:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Wear a kilt. No one will know what to think, but they will be afraid to ask.
Old 07-16-18, 01:22 PM
Tom L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was kind of apprehensive too, but you think about it, I'd say over half the population under 30 in this area
have neck tattoos , green hair, and walk around half naked all day, so one mid 50 yr old in bike shorts isn't going to make a difference.
baggy shorts are ok, but once you try a good set of bib shorts , they really make a world of difference in comfort
Old 07-16-18, 01:31 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc road bike, Trek Madone 5.9 road bike, Trek 4100 mtb

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tom L View Post
I was kind of apprehensive too, but you think about it, I'd say over half the population under 30 in this area
have neck tattoos , green hair, and walk around half naked all day, so one mid 50 yr old in bike shorts isn't going to make a difference.
baggy shorts are ok, but once you try a good set of bib shorts , they really make a world of difference in comfort
So true!

Same goes for a 67 year old in lycra bike shorts. Nobody cares. Besides, my wife thinks they make me look sexy!
Old 07-16-18, 01:42 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
There is a part of me that desperately wants to post the flippant and obvious answer: "I wear clothes. I recommend this to others as well."

My only bicycle specific article of clothing are my shammie undies. For the rest it's just cargo shorts and T-shirt in either day-glo construction orange or safety green, when it's warm, and sweat-pants (and possibly long-johns), and day-glo hoodie, with however many additional layers, such as gloves and neck scarf, for when it's cold.
Old 07-16-18, 03:33 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I like hybrid swimsuits from Target. Look like regular shorts with belt loops and pockets, but made of fast drying swimsuit material with a bit of stretch. They have mesh pockets and a drawstring at the waist which buttons with a rubber button. Zip fly. I've done thirty mile rides in them with synthetic boxer briefs under with no issues.
Old 07-16-18, 08:54 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
No, you don’t have to wear cycling shorts, but if your primary reason is that you’re worried how you think you might look in them, you need to realize that no one cares.
Agree, which reminds me of this ...

A guy goes to his 10 year high school reunion dressed to the nines wanting people to think he's successful.

He goes to his 20 year reunion still caring about what people think, albeit less so.

By the time he goes to his 30 year union he no longer cares what other people think.

He goes to his 40 year reunion realizing nobody was thinking about him to start with.

OP should wear what he wants.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service