Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike seat w/cutout.

Old 07-12-18, 08:22 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bike seat w/cutout.

I am trying to decide if I should be riding a bike seat with a center hole or space? I have a family history of prostrate cancer and at 69 having issues in that area are certainly not uncommon. I have a softer seat that has the grove down the middle and it is fine for a short time but not for a longer ride. It is nylon covered I believe and new so it is not a case of it being worn out. This has been my go to seat for the last two months but now that I am riding in the 90*+ weather it has become less and less ideal. The stock seat, it says Cannondale but I do not know if they actually make the seat, is more comfortable in the longer rides but has no real center grove. Do I need the center space on my seat as I ride a flat bar bike. I have raised the bar about an inch higher than was possible with the original stem by changing it to a 60* stem. I need the more upright position for may back. Again, my concern is for the seat space as I have read conflicting articles as to it's necessity. I am sure this has been discussed but I could not find the answer.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 07-12-18, 09:16 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
There are a number of saddles addressing this problem. Look at ISM Adamo for the principle, there are a number of saddles split in tew halves.

Another type are the noseless saddles.
Old 07-12-18, 10:04 AM
JLDickmon
shot down in flames

Bikes: Raleigh Talus 29, Cannondale Raven 700, Cannondale Super V 1000, Cannondale Raven 3000

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
The one on my Raven is a full split seat, but it's for ventilation.
This one.
https://kylesbikes.com/serfas-men-s-...AaAmgTEALw_wcB

Last edited by JLDickmon; 07-12-18 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 10:10 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
1) Avoid a heavily padded saddle, which can actually put more pressure where you do not want it.

2) I personally detest the whole concept of noseless saddles such as EasySeats, because of the loss of control.

3) The most prostate-comfortable saddle I own is the old Terry Liberator I put on the Peugeot, but my various Brooks Pros and Brooks Team Pros come close, now that I have broken them in.

4) In the future I might try one of the newer tensioned leather saddles with a top cutout.

5) The flat bar puts more weight on the saddle and less on your hands. The only way I could stand my mountain bike was to add short perpendicular bar end extensions, which afford me a more roadbike-like stance and multiple hand positions. Just being able to change positions (including standing on the cranks occasionally) while you ride may be of some help, as well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-12-18, 10:10 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Originally Posted by JLDickmon View Post
The one on my Raven is a full split seat, but it's for ventilation.
This one.
https://kylesbikes.com/serfas-men-s-...AaAmgTEALw_wcB
That one looks like it might work out well, with the caveat that everyone is different and there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-12-18, 10:57 AM
spinsheet

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use the Brooks B17 Imperial, an all leather saddle with a cutout and it's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, especially for long distance. It's not for everyone, some hate it, but for me it completely changed everything. It's firm, not soft and squishy so there's no pressure on your more delicate bits. I heard horror stories about the break in but this saddle was more comfortable for me than any other saddle even on day one and it just gets better.
Old 07-12-18, 10:58 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick.

Thanks for all the responses. I am guessing that the idea of the center space is a real necessity for someone my age.
Thanks again.
Frank.
Old 07-12-18, 02:28 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
The cutout does not protect you from prostate cancer. Its just a roll of the dice. I've been riding saddles with a cutout since 2001 and developed prostate cancer in 2015. The cutout simply provides a more comfortable ride. I really like my Selle Anatomica saddles.
Old 07-12-18, 03:07 PM
MoAlpha

Bikes: Occasionally

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Yeah, it's got nothing whatever to do with cancer. I have a very good Selle Italia on the road bike and a cheapo on the commuter, both with big cutouts. I like both saddles, but I don't think the cutouts make a damn bit of difference prostate-wise and when I've been off the bike for three days I'm always pleasantly surprised at being able to pee normally.
Old 07-12-18, 03:29 PM
Helderberg

I did not mean to imply that the seat would cause prostate cancer. I just brought it up as it is part of my family history and the articles I have read have mentioned prostate health.
I think I can just keep getting up off the seat to allow for blood circulation for now until I find a seat that is both good to me and for me.
Thank you again for you all, Frank.
Old 07-12-18, 03:56 PM
MoAlpha

The cutout, as I understand it, is designed to take pressure off the pudendal nerves, which run along the perineum. "Circulation" is how most people refer to the effects of pressure on nerves (which actually is circulation, just along the nerve itself).
Old 07-12-18, 07:23 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Honest... I always thought the cutout was for better airflow to keep "the boys" a little cooler when underneath you in the bike saddle.
Old 07-12-18, 07:35 PM
bnewberry

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have found that "modern" bike shorts often have a thick pad which I find puts extra pressure in the area. I prefer thin pads, even going so far as buying a pair with just a real chamois like we rode back in the day.
Old 07-16-18, 08:08 AM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have used a Terry Butterfly for 15 years and will never switch. Same idea as the Terry Liberator but the Butterfly is a lot lighter (if that is important to you). The Butterfly is marketed as a womens saddle but the overall shape is more like a mens. The Terry Fly is the mens version of the Butterfly but the Fly is too narrow for me. They make a few versions of the Butterfly, some with Ti rails some with chromoly or even carbon

Old 07-16-18, 12:06 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 4724 Post(s)
I see no one, still, understands basic human anatomy . Prostate is within your pelvis, not outside, to sit on.

ask your Dr.? is it swollen, must you insert a catheter?

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-16-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 01:20 PM
MoAlpha

The prostate is within the pelvis, but the nose of your saddle (not the cutout area) can still exert plenty of upward pressure on it and cause problems. It's worse for us road devils who ride in the drops with pelves rotated forward. If you have a Y chromosome, your stream ain't like it used to be, and you're reading the 50+ forum, chances are your prostate is a little biggish. There are noseless saddles out there, but I would expect them to be suitable only for tootling about in an upright position.
Old 07-16-18, 07:28 PM
2travelers

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 3.5,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nexride Standard Noseless Bike Seat
Had to go to a “noseless” saddle due to an traumatic epididymitis from a hard nosed touring saddle. Doctor told me I needed to change the saddle to keep riding. Have been using the Nexride seat for four years and can’t imaging going back. Strange looking I know but it sure works for me - even on week long tours.
(i see my model was discontinued but I’d go with the pro model anyway if I ordered another)

Last edited by 2travelers; 07-16-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 04:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
No the cutout won't prevent cancer, but it can prevent prostate irritation - friend of mine got a high PSA reading and the doctor made him not ride for a couple weeks and come back... normal.

I don't have saddle problems, but I have cutouts on my more upright rides - an urban commuter and a Bike Friday tandem. The Cambium is really interesting - not squishy at all, but kind of flexible.

Old 07-18-18, 08:11 PM
KJK

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
No the cutout won't prevent cancer, but it can prevent prostate irritation - friend of mine got a high PSA reading and the doctor made him not ride for a couple weeks and come back... normal.

I don't have saddle problems, but I have cutouts on my more upright rides - an urban commuter and a Bike Friday tandem. The Cambium is really interesting - not squishy at all, but kind of flexible.

That's the saddle I've really come to like! I can ride it all day long...
Old 07-19-18, 05:06 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
I have 3 Brooks B17's and I added the cutoucu to all of them. I have found them even more comfortable!
Old 07-19-18, 05:19 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Originally Posted by spinsheet View Post
I use the Brooks B17 Imperial, an all leather saddle with a cutout and it's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, especially for long distance. It's not for everyone, some hate it, but for me it completely changed everything. It's firm, not soft and squishy so there's no pressure on your more delicate bits. I heard horror stories about the break in but this saddle was more comfortable for me than any other saddle even on day one and it just gets better.
I have the B17 Imperial as well and wear thinly padded shorts. Having had a radical in 2002, I don't have a prostate to irritate, but there is some scar tissue and my nerves in that area can get a bit on edge, so I look for ways to relieve the pressure. I've completed Metric centuries and a century with this arrangement to no ill effect. Everyone is different.
Old 07-20-18, 02:31 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Same for me last year. Hence why I bought a ISM PN 3.0 this Spring.