Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

58, VERY short lady, getting fit and needing advice

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-12-18, 09:20 PM
queenoscots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hello! Here's my story: I turn 58 tomorrow, and after years of being overweight and out of shape, I'm making changes. Through diet and exercise, I've lost 87 lbs. and still losing. My fitness routine currently involves eating light and healthy, swimming 60 lengths of the YMCA pool three times per week, and walking frequently--trying to get in those recommended 10,000 steps at least on the days I don't swim. I'm looking to add biking, but I've found it's not as easy as just picking up a bike and taking it for a spin. In the 90's, my husband, our kids, and I all had mountain bikes; mine was a serviceable Schwinn that got used frequently and brought me enjoyment. But we all drifted away from riding, and my bike spent the last 15 years gathering dust in the garage. When I tried to ride it recently, I found the bike and I were no longer a good fit. Mounting and dismounting are extremely difficult due to my bad hip and arthritic knees. Once on the bike, I can ride. But I have to lay the bike down almost on its side to mount/dismount. I actually fell trying to dismount quickly the other day. I simply couldn't lift my leg high enough to swing it over the seat, or even the crossbar, like I could at a younger age. So now I'm looking for recommendations , and here are the particulars:

- age 58

- still overweight, but improving the situation with 87 lbs lost so far

- arthritis in both knees, bursitis in one hip

- swimming and walking are my main activities, but would like to add biking

-very short, only 4' 11.5" tall

- not interested in trail or mountain riding; just want a nice cruiser for riding around the neighborhood

I've visited several bike shops, where they've recommended the Electra Townie Ladies cruiser. Other recommendations have been for the Schwinn Perla or the Biria Low Step Easy Boarder. But every bike I try seems too tall at 26". I'm not even sure a 24" will suit me. BTW, my previous bike was a 26", and in my younger days I was flexible enough to mount and dismount it.

Are there any other short people out there riding? Any tips on fit? Maybe a large child's bike? Can anyone suggest a brand you've had success with?

Thanks, all!
Old 07-12-18, 09:42 PM
queenoscots

Hello! Here's my story: I turn 58 tomorrow, and after years of being overweight and out of shape, I'm making changes. Through diet and exercise, I've lost 87 lbs. and still losing. My fitness routine currently involves eating light and healthy, swimming 60 lengths of the YMCA pool three times per week, and walking frequently--trying to get in those recommended 10,000 steps at least on the days I don't swim. I'm looking to add biking, but I've found it's not as easy as just picking up a bike and taking it for a spin. In the 90's, my husband, our kids, and I all had mountain bikes; mine was a serviceable Schwinn that got used frequently and brought me enjoyment. But we all drifted away from riding, and my bike spent the last 15 years gathering dust in the garage. When I tried to ride it recently, I found the bike and I were no longer a good fit. Mounting and dismounting are extremely difficult due to my bad hip and arthritic knees. Once on the bike, I can ride. But I have to lay the bike down almost on its side to mount/dismount. I actually fell trying to dismount quickly the other day. I simply couldn't lift my leg high enough to swing it over the seat, or even the crossbar, like I could at a younger age. So now I'm looking for recommendations , and here are the particulars:

- age 58

- not interested in trail or mountain riding; just want a nice cruiser for riding around the neighborhood

I've visited several bike shops, where they've recommended the Electra Townie Ladies cruiser. Other recommendations have been for the Schwinn Perla or the Biria Low Step Easy Boarder. But every bike I try seems too tall at 26". I'm not even sure a 24" will suit me. BTW, my previous bike was a 26", and in my younger days I was flexible enough to mount and dismount it.

Are there any other short people out there riding? Any tips on fit? Maybe a large child's bike? Can anyone suggest a brand you've had success with?

Thanks, all!
Old 07-12-18, 09:50 PM
Winston15

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 1997, 2004 Trek 1500sl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My wife and I drove the men's and women's versions of the Explorer 1's by Jamis this week. We both loved them! If you can find a dealer....

Women's Jamis Exployer 1
Old 07-12-18, 10:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5942 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new fitness program. It sounds like you are doing well.

I have a couple of shorter friends that fit very well on 24" kid's mountain bikes, so that would be worth a try.

Another option... I do Bike Valet parking, and periodically a short woman will ride up on a Bike Friday bicycle, and seem to thoroughly enjoy it.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/

They come in a number of styles from more racy models to more cruising models. Custom made to your specs.

A third option would be recumbents. They are completely different, but may be comfortable for you to ride, although for the most stable ones, you are quite low (meaning you have to be able to sit down and stand up). The recumbent trikes are some of the more popular recumbents, although there are also 2 wheel versions.

Utah Trikes - Online Recumbent

Personally, I'd start with a used 24" MTB, get it tuned up with good tires, and see how you like it, then move from there. I'm sure there are 1000 different issues people have with knees, but I will say that the more I ride, the better my knees seem to get.

If you really get into cycling fitness, you might try a road bike. (650c?) But, for now, baby steps. That is one reason why I'd start with a cheap kid's MTB,
Old 07-13-18, 12:20 AM
Happydog2day

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Step through frame recommended

You might check out the women's Townie with 24 inch wheels and a step through frame.
Old 07-13-18, 04:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
There is a thread somewhere on this site about step-through frames ... if I stumble across it i will add it here. A step-through frame should suit your situation well---safe and convenient. Not saying it is the best option, but is the first thing i thought of.

I respect your efforts. I am of a similar vintage and struggling to maintain , let alone reduce my weight. The willpower needed to not eat those extra few hundred calories each day is far greater than what it takes to get off the couch to exercise.

Mixte or Step Through Frame, which is it?

Second step thru thread

Last edited by Maelochs; 07-13-18 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-13-18, 06:21 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Good for you! Do not get discouraged...and find a bike that fits. Cheers!
Old 07-13-18, 06:31 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse (winter bike)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I don't have any good advice ... just wanted to congratulate you on the remarkable progress you've made so far ... 87 pound weight loss is amazing and takes a lot of discipline - great job! And congrats, too, for what sounds like a great exercise routine you've established. Hope you find the right bike and integrate cycling into your lifestyle! Best of luck!!!
Old 07-13-18, 07:20 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Originally Posted by queenoscots View Post

- age 58

Thanks, all!
It sounds to me like you might benefit from some physical therapy, or alternately, a Yoga regimen to gently coax your arthritis hips to open up a bit so you can mount and dismount a bike.
Old 07-13-18, 07:21 AM
danmyersmn 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
My wife is 4'11" and it is hard to find a bike that fits. One problem with looking at bikes for kids is they are often very heavy compared to adult versions. It appears price targets are the main goal in the youth market. The absolute best fitting bike we found was the Diamondback Calico. Performance Sports has a version called the Diamondback Calico ST. The XS fits perfectly. It was also one of the lightest models we found in the $500 and less market. Breezer also has an XS version at Performance Sports but when we visited they had to assemble it. The Breezer Uptown, Breezer Downtown and Fuji Sport City are more step through models that may be a better fit for you. Good Luck!
Old 07-13-18, 08:39 AM
Wildwood 
Patriot/Pacifist/Veteran

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Queen of Scots should be riding the finest.

70 Bottecchia Giro 'd Italia/70s Follis 072/72 Zeus Competition/75 Carabela SemiPro/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico
Old 07-13-18, 08:44 AM
Wildwood 
Patriot/Pacifist/Veteran

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
SOMA Fabrications | For the everyday cyclist
Soma Fabrication offers the mixte (Buena Vista) in a size 42 and 50cm. Have it built up your way.
70 Bottecchia Giro 'd Italia/70s Follis 072/72 Zeus Competition/75 Carabela SemiPro/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico
Old 07-13-18, 12:14 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Queen of Scots should be riding the finest.
That thing is beautiful. Ride that to a local Highland Games and Gathering o' the Clans.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-13-18, 12:19 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 4724 Post(s)
low step thru

Folding bikes offer the benefits of a step through frame and so any of Bike Fridays
can give you that in a US handmade limited production bike .

or any of the many folding bikes , which are less built to order.

You mentioned it, above, this is about as low a step through type I can think of https://biria.com/series/easy-boarding

this is their 24" wheel model.

o

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-13-18 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 02:03 PM
queenoscots

Thanks for the support, and for the suggestions. Today, I visited a bike shop where they fit me to a Giant Suede 2 Ladies bike with a 15 inch step through frame. It worked for me beautifully, and felt great as I took a practice ride. I didn't pull the trigger yet, as I want to research the companybband product on my own first. But I did like it!
Old 07-13-18, 02:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Thanks for the support, and for the suggestions. Today, I visited a bike shop where they fit me to a Giant Suede 2 Ladies bike with a 15 inch step through frame. It worked for me beautifully, and felt great as I took a practice ride. I didn't pull the trigger yet, as I want to research the companybband product on my own first. But I did like it!
All right! Pic assist:

I was also thinking you might benefit from the "crank forward" geometry of a bike like this - it'll allow you to put your foot down at stop signs easier and that's important if you have hip problems.
Giant (and Liv) is one of the biggest bike companies in the world and they use a solid dealer network for sales. I authorize immediate trigger-pulling.
Old 07-13-18, 02:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5942 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I authorize immediate trigger-pulling.
Don't shoot it!!!

That looks nice.

Are those 26" wheels? Or smaller? Still, if you like it, it isn't bad.

7 speed should be good for pretty ordinary riding.
Old 07-13-18, 05:21 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
I sold Giants for many years. The Suede is a good cruiser bike. Had an elderly lady of 76 years do the MS 150 on hers. Two years in a row! Good choice.
Old 07-13-18, 10:38 PM
queenoscots

Yeah! That's the bike I tried! 15" frame and 26" wheels. It was super comfortable, easy for me to mount/dismount, and a really nice ride. I think I'll buy it! Thanks for the photo assist and the positive feedback on the bike.
Old 07-14-18, 04:42 AM
Road Fan

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Queen,

My wife does not have your size or joint challenges, but Mrs. Road Fan is a big fan of bikes designed by Georgena Terry. She has been making bikes to accommodate women of a wide range of sizes, with production starting back in 1987 or so. If you are good at Googling, you should be able to find her current company, her former company (called "Terry Cycles" I think), and images of her bikes. We've bought her two of them. For her they are much like mens' bikes, but Ms. Terry is great to talk to about special needs.

Congratulations on your progress!

I'm probably about the only one here with no experience of Giant, except for having seen them in stores. I saw the Birla in a store, too, but it was owned by one of the custom bike builders I most respect, Ron Boi. I think the Birla is definitely worth a close look. The Giant has a leg raise that is now acceptable to you, but the Birla requires a much lower leg raise.

Just a thought!

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-14-18 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-14-18, 09:46 AM
Aubergine 

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Excellent!

I am glad that our advice has has been helpful I am a 66 year old woman and my wife and many friends of both sexes have issues mounting traditional bikes. My wife now has a bike very like the Giant you tried and found it very easy to get on and off. I am sure you’ll find a good match for your needs.

(And next up for you . . . What seat will be the most comfortable?)
Old 07-15-18, 08:09 PM
SKT18

Bikes: 2013 Mohala, 2018 FX4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your successful fitness program, very impressive results! Enjoy your bike, whatever your choose, the step through frame seems like a great choice. Have fun!
Old 07-18-18, 01:50 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

- age 58

Thanks, all!
Until you get a bike and then even after you get a bike go to spin class. You mentioned swimming at the Y and all the Y's I go to have spin classes too. This is a good re-introduction to the bike and you really can't beat the workout if you apply yourself a bit.

I go thru most of the down months spinning. Since you already have a Y membership, the cost is nothing. You might even take a dip after a hard spin class to relax those muscles. Check around though and attend a couple of classes to see which instructor you like. They are not all equal.

I have found that during the winter months it keeps my legs moving and the poundage off if I go to spin class at least 3 times a week.

john
Old 07-18-18, 02:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
I used to spin ... schedule doesn't allow it now, but i second that it is a great workout .... it doesn't all transfer to the bike, but most of it does, and it is easier to burn calories in a spin class. Rutan 47's advice is excellent.
Old 07-18-18, 07:38 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
Mrs. Road Fan is a big fan of bikes designed by Georgena Terry. She has been making bikes to accommodate women of a wide range of sizes, with production starting back in 1987 or so. If you are good at Googling, you should be able to find her current company, her former company (called "Terry Cycles" I think), and images of her bikes. We've bought her two of them. For her they are much like mens' bikes, but Ms. Terry is great to talk to about special needs.
Yes, Terry is the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread. Her contribution to womens' cycling is that she decided to take into account anatomical differences between men and women when designing her bikes. Women tend to be smaller than men, and to get a properly fitting frame without compromising performance, she used smaller than standard wheels. When she first started in business, getting decent quality rims and tires for such wheels could be a problem, but that is largely no longer the case today.

Terry is an engineer by profession, and she is also a polio survivor and familiar with mobility problems. I don't think she has a line of production bikes anymore, but she still offers custom work on her web site:

https://georgenaterry.com/